Mounting Hutchinson Road Tubeless Tires

turbod0g

Nov 15, 2007
I recently bought some tubeless-compatible wheels for my road bike. I bought some new Hutchinson Fusion2 tubeless tires, and followed the instructions on Hutch's website for mounting. But I'm having a hell of a time getting the second bead mounted on the 7801-SL rim. I've read some reviews that many mount these tires by hand (no tools). Even using the Hutch Stick-Air lever, I still have a very difficult time mounting that second bead. I use soapy water as suggested. I thought the cooler temp may be a problem, so I popped the tire in a 125F oven for a few minutes. What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

turbod0g said:
I recently bought some tubeless-compatible wheels for my road bike. I bought some new Hutchinson Fusion2 tubeless tires, and followed the instructions on Hutch's website for mounting. But I'm having a hell of a time getting the second bead mounted on the 7801-SL rim. I've read some reviews that many mount these tires by hand (no tools). Even using the Hutch Stick-Air lever, I still have a very difficult time mounting that second bead. I use soapy water as suggested. I thought the cooler temp may be a problem, so I popped the tire in a 125F oven for a few minutes. What am I doing wrong? Any advice?
Are you having a harder time with the rear? My front always popped on and held air immediately. The rear was a different story. I have no idea why though. I could usually get the rear to catch air on the 2nd or third try without using any water etc.

If its not catching air, you may have to do some manuvering of the actual tire. Sometimes if there is a bend in the tire from being packaged that doesnt always help. Try to smooth those out. I would always roll the tire, after its installed, on the ground atleast one time around to push the bead out. Also, listen to where the air is seeping out and try to move the tire around at that spot WHILE you are pumping air into the tire. Lastly, if you have an air compressor that can really help as it should push a larger amount of initial air and should hopefully pop the tire into its bead immediately.

Hope this helps and good luck with the technology. I had a great experience for about 30 days and then ran into far too many flats etc and eventually just put tubes in. If you end up having to patch the tires, look out. That usually makes the tire "hard" at that spot so the tire isnt flexible and round like it should be. Once I had 2-3 patches on the tire, I couldn't get the sucker to hold air at all because it wouldnt sit on the rim correctly. Hopefully you have a better experience than I did.

Thanks for the input. Actually, I'm having problems just getting the second bead on the rim. I can get the first one on with my hands; no problem. But the second one is so difficult, I can only think that I'm doing something wrong. Tried soap, Stick Air lever, warming the tire..

Out of curiosity, were your flats with the tubeless tires punctures or slow leaks around the bead and/or valve?

turbod0g said:
Thanks for the input. Actually, I'm having problems just getting the second bead on the rim. I can get the first one on with my hands; no problem. But the second one is so difficult, I can only think that I'm doing something wrong. Tried soap, Stick Air lever, warming the tire..

Out of curiosity, were your flats with the tubeless tires punctures or slow leaks around the bead and/or valve?
They were punctures etc. I actually had zero problems with losing tire pressure over days or weeks because of the bead or valve. I was really suprised by that.

Oh i just thought of this. When you are trying to get the 2nd bead over the rim make sure you have the 1st bead in the center of the rim where the groove inward is. This seemed to help.

Getting the second bead over can be a little difficult but not nearly as difficult as getting some regular tires such and michelin Krylions on those wheels!

turbod0g said:

Hello, I've been using tese wheels for more than a year now. To install the tire without any problem the trick is very simple.
Soap the rim instead of the beads as Hutchinson says it. It's that simple.:)