mounting lights on top of f-der post

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rex Kerr, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
    new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
    little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it with
    some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount their
    lights on the handlebars.

    Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
    able to point the light along with the front wheel.

    -Rex

    Tags:

  2. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    Rex Kerr wrote:

    > I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
    > new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
    > little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it
    > with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount
    > their lights on the handlebars.
    >
    > Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
    > able to point the light along with the front wheel.
    >
    > -Rex

    I do this, using a plastic T more normally used for plumbing. My cadence sensor goes on one side of
    the T and the headlight on the other. The handlebars are a bit crowded for a light. Disadvantages
    are (a) you cannot reach it to turn on or off without stopping (and unclipping both feet) and
    (b) it points where you are going, not where you want to go (a very minor disadvantage except when
    executing slow turns).
    --
    John Turner http://www.wireless-route-sales.com

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
    > new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
    > little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it
    > with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount
    > their lights on the handlebars.
    >
    > Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
    > able to point the light along with the front wheel.

    Like this? http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/LiteMount..jpg

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Vision makes a nice T bar for about $25.00 that has a wedge expander bolt for a secure mounting in
    the f-der post. I mounted my TurboCat flood light on it next to my cat eye cyclometer, where it's
    out of the way so I'm not looking at it instead of the scenery. "Rex Kerr" <[email protected]>
    > I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
    > new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
    > little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it
    > with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount
    > their lights on the handlebars.
    >
    > Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
    > able to point the light along with the front wheel.
    >
    > -Rex

  5. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    What size is the T? Do you remove the f-der post cap and plug it in? Or do you get a larger one and
    fit it over the f-der post?

    "John Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rex Kerr wrote:
    >
    > > I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up
    > > my new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on
    > > the little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing
    > > it with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to
    > > mount their lights on the handlebars.
    > >
    > > Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to
    > > be able to point the light along with the front wheel.
    > >
    > > -Rex
    >
    > I do this, using a plastic T more normally used for plumbing. My cadence sensor goes on one side
    > of the T and the headlight on the other. The handlebars are a bit crowded for a light.
    > Disadvantages are (a) you
    cannot
    > reach it to turn on or off without stopping (and unclipping both feet) and
    > (b) it points where you are going, not where you want to go (a very minor disadvantage except when
    > executing slow turns).
    > --
    > John Turner http://www.wireless-route-sales.com

  6. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harv wrote:

    > Vision makes a nice T bar for about $25.00 that has a wedge expander bolt for a secure mounting in
    > the f-der post....

    I have one of the ATP Vision T-bars on my RANS Rocket - it is strong enough to use as a handle to
    pick up the front of the bike.

    The booms on my Earthcycles Sunset and Dragonflyer have a T mount built
    in. See < ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg >.

  8. I mount my front lights on the front derailleur post, but via a home-brewed device similar to one of
    those Minoura clamp thingies which has gone through a military-style ruggedisation process[1]. The
    tube on my machine is closed at the end, though it *does* have a threaded hole in the top for some
    nefarious Teutonic purpose I have so far been unable to fathom.

    1 - Ahead-style handlebar stem, short length of seat post. Heavy, but made out of parts I
    already had.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:08:14 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
    >new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
    >little post that sticks up for the f-der.

    I do. I use a Minoura Space Grip:

    http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html

    It's actually designed for handlebars so it's a very tight fit on the derailleur post, but with
    patience you should be able to mount it. Don't get the extra long one, that will most likely
    interfere with the cranks.

    Haluzak also makes a neat headlight adapter that mounts on top of the derailleur post:

    http://www.haluzak.com/accessories/accessories.htm

    I just picked one up but haven't tried it yet.

  10. "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:08:14 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up
    > >my new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on
    > >the little post that sticks up for the f-der.
    >
    > I do. I use a Minoura Space Grip:
    >
    > http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html
    >
    > It's actually designed for handlebars so it's a very tight fit on the derailleur post, but with
    > patience you should be able to mount it. Don't get the extra long one, that will most likely
    > interfere with the cranks.

    Can you mount it so that the post is horizontal while the mount is vertical?

    > Haluzak also makes a neat headlight adapter that mounts on top of the derailleur post:
    >
    > http://www.haluzak.com/accessories/accessories.htm
    >
    > I just picked one up but haven't tried it yet.
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  11. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    Okay,

    I found I plastic T which I had. Almost fit, I had to shave about 1/16th of an inch off. Now it is
    force fit into my RANS Rockets 1-3/8" front derailer. (I have to figure how to elegantly pluge the
    holes.) Works pretty good.

    "John Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rex Kerr wrote:
    >
    > > I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up
    > > my new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on
    > > the little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing
    > > it with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to
    > > mount their lights on the handlebars.
    > >
    > > Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to
    > > be able to point the light along with the front wheel.
    > >
    > > -Rex
    >
    > I do this, using a plastic T more normally used for plumbing. My cadence sensor goes on one side
    > of the T and the headlight on the other. The handlebars are a bit crowded for a light.
    > Disadvantages are (a) you
    cannot
    > reach it to turn on or off without stopping (and unclipping both feet) and
    > (b) it points where you are going, not where you want to go (a very minor disadvantage except when
    > executing slow turns).
    > --
    > John Turner http://www.wireless-route-sales.com

  12. Morgan Jones

    Morgan Jones Guest

    Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]t>...
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:08:14 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up
    > >my new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on
    > >the little post that sticks up for the f-der.
    >
    > I do. I use a Minoura Space Grip:
    >
    > http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html
    >
    > It's actually designed for handlebars so it's a very tight fit on the derailleur post, but with
    > patience you should be able to mount it. Don't get the extra long one, that will most likely
    > interfere with the cranks.

    I'm using the long version of the Minoura Space Grip on my V-Rex. I used a pipe cutter to narrow the
    bar enough to fit between the cranks, but the longer bar puts the light far enough forward that
    there's almost no light flash on your feet.

    I found that I had to remove the front deraileur to mount the Space Grip, but that was OK because I
    remounted it more precisely that it was originally mounted.

    Morgan.

  13. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > Haluzak also makes a neat headlight adapter that mounts on top of the derailleur post:
    >
    > http://www.haluzak.com/accessories/accessories.htm
    >
    > I just picked one up but haven't tried it yet.

    This looks like a good way to mount the lights. Where did you find one for sale?

    Thanks, -Rex