mounting lights on top of f-der post

Rex Kerr

Guest
I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it with
some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount their
lights on the handlebars.

Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
able to point the light along with the front wheel.

-Rex

Rex Kerr wrote:

> I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
> new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
> little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it
> with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount
> their lights on the handlebars.
>
> Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
> able to point the light along with the front wheel.
>
> -Rex

I do this, using a plastic T more normally used for plumbing. My cadence sensor goes on one side of
the T and the headlight on the other. The handlebars are a bit crowded for a light. Disadvantages
are (a) you cannot reach it to turn on or off without stopping (and unclipping both feet) and
(b) it points where you are going, not where you want to go (a very minor disadvantage except when
executing slow turns).
--
John Turner http://www.wireless-route-sales.com

> I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
> new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
> little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it
> with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount
> their lights on the handlebars.
>
> Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
> able to point the light along with the front wheel.

Like this? http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/LiteMount..jpg

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Vision makes a nice T bar for about $25.00 that has a wedge expander bolt for a secure mounting in
the f-der post. I mounted my TurboCat flood light on it next to my cat eye cyclometer, where it's
out of the way so I'm not looking at it instead of the scenery. "Rex Kerr" <[email protected]>
> I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
> new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
> little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing it
> with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to mount
> their lights on the handlebars.
>
> Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to be
> able to point the light along with the front wheel.
>
> -Rex

What size is the T? Do you remove the f-der post cap and plug it in? Or do you get a larger one and
fit it over the f-der post?

news:[email protected]...

harv wrote:

> Vision makes a nice T bar for about $25.00 that has a wedge expander bolt for a secure mounting in
> the f-der post....

I have one of the ATP Vision T-bars on my RANS Rocket - it is strong enough to use as a handle to
pick up the front of the bike.

The booms on my Earthcycles Sunset and Dragonflyer have a T mount built
in. See < ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg >.

I mount my front lights on the front derailleur post, but via a home-brewed device similar to one of
those Minoura clamp thingies which has gone through a military-style ruggedisation process[1]. The
tube on my machine is closed at the end, though it *does* have a threaded hole in the top for some
nefarious Teutonic purpose I have so far been unable to fathom.

1 - Ahead-style handlebar stem, short length of seat post. Heavy, but made out of parts I
already had.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:08:14 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up my
>new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on the
>little post that sticks up for the f-der.

I do. I use a Minoura Space Grip:

http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html

It's actually designed for handlebars so it's a very tight fit on the derailleur post, but with
patience you should be able to mount it. Don't get the extra long one, that will most likely
interfere with the cranks.

Haluzak also makes a neat headlight adapter that mounts on top of the derailleur post:

http://www.haluzak.com/accessories/accessories.htm

I just picked one up but haven't tried it yet.

"Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:08:14 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up
> >my new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on
> >the little post that sticks up for the f-der.
>
> I do. I use a Minoura Space Grip:
>
> http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html
>
> It's actually designed for handlebars so it's a very tight fit on the derailleur post, but with
> patience you should be able to mount it. Don't get the extra long one, that will most likely
> interfere with the cranks.

Can you mount it so that the post is horizontal while the mount is vertical?

> Haluzak also makes a neat headlight adapter that mounts on top of the derailleur post:
>
> http://www.haluzak.com/accessories/accessories.htm
>
> I just picked one up but haven't tried it yet.
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Okay,

I found I plastic T which I had. Almost fit, I had to shave about 1/16th of an inch off. Now it is
force fit into my RANS Rockets 1-3/8" front derailer. (I have to figure how to elegantly pluge the
holes.) Works pretty good.

"John Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rex Kerr wrote:
>
> > I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up
> > my new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on
> > the little post that sticks up for the f-der. It seems that pulling out the endcap and replacing
> > it with some kind of mount would be the ideal location for a headlight, yet everybody seems to
> > mount their lights on the handlebars.
> >
> > Am I overlooking something important? The only thing I can think of is that it might be nice to
> > be able to point the light along with the front wheel.
> >
> > -Rex
>
> I do this, using a plastic T more normally used for plumbing. My cadence sensor goes on one side
> of the T and the headlight on the other. The handlebars are a bit crowded for a light.
> Disadvantages are (a) you
cannot
> reach it to turn on or off without stopping (and unclipping both feet) and
> (b) it points where you are going, not where you want to go (a very minor disadvantage except when
> executing slow turns).
> --
> John Turner http://www.wireless-route-sales.com

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:08:14 GMT, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've been looking at pictures of various peoples' setups trying to determine how best to set up
> >my new (to me) recumbent. I have been surprised that nobody seems to mount their headlights on
> >the little post that sticks up for the f-der.
>
> I do. I use a Minoura Space Grip:
>
> http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html
>
> It's actually designed for handlebars so it's a very tight fit on the derailleur post, but with
> patience you should be able to mount it. Don't get the extra long one, that will most likely
> interfere with the cranks.

I'm using the long version of the Minoura Space Grip on my V-Rex. I used a pipe cutter to narrow the
bar enough to fit between the cranks, but the longer bar puts the light far enough forward that
there's almost no light flash on your feet.

I found that I had to remove the front deraileur to mount the Space Grip, but that was OK because I
remounted it more precisely that it was originally mounted.

Morgan.