Mounting...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by molab, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. molab

    molab Guest

    Freemounts ><
    Can anyone give pointers on freemounting?
    I'm going better riding, but before i wanna hit the streets I want to
    try get atleast adept at freemounts...
    Can anyone give me pointers? Which leg I should use first?
    At the moment i've been trying with both but can't seem to see which I
    should focus on...
    I've seen videos on how it's done properly but I can't seem to move
    seemlessly over the uni without the front pedal smacking me in the
    shins...
    Anypointers would be great...
    Thanks

    --
    molab
    molab's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11474

  2. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    If you have watched the videos and you know the basic technique then all
    I can tell you is to practice. It's all a matter of getting the right
    amount of weight on the pedal, getting your weight onto the seat ASAP
    and the balance. I find freemount difficult (I am balancly challanged)
    and am still not very good at freemounting my 29er.

    So I would say practice and patience, but perhaps someone else can give
    you some more practical advice.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  3. FatBoy-Dave

    FatBoy-Dave Guest

    Try using a stair or a piece of wood to stop the wheel from rolling.
    then slowly try to jump on your Uni but in your head think of jumping
    over it.
    Then move the wood or away from the stair and try it. This is how I got
    it down in 2 hours. And do not push on the rear pedal just use your
    weight to keep it only from moving.
    Good Luck:) :)

    --
    FatBoy-Dave

    http://www.municycle.com/

    Dave
    FatBoy-Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11161

  4. unitic

    unitic Guest

  5. Tim Morin

    Tim Morin Guest

    Rather than applying much pressure on the pedal, try to hop up onto your
    seat and sit on it quickly. At the same time, get your other foot on
    the pedal and get ready to start pedalling.

    I used to talk to myself in my head while learning to freemount. I'd
    say: "Get up! Now pedal!" It worked for me.

    --
    Tim Morin
    Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

  6. I learned with the static mount, which I found a lot easier than the
    rollback mount.

    Just find a gentle, smooth slope (I used my driveway) and have your
    pedals in a vertical position, with the pedal corresponding to your
    strong foot in the 6:00 position. With the unicycle in front of you,
    place the seat in your crotch and put your strong foot on the 6:00
    pedal, holding onto the front of the seat with your strong hand. In
    one, smooth motion, step up with your other foot, placing it right on
    the 12:00 pedal, and immediately start to pedal out of it. When you
    start to get going, remove your hand from the front of the seat, and
    off you go!

    Obviously, every method you try will take practice, including this one.
    But this is the way I learned, and I liked it.

    Good luck, and happy mounting!

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'
    last updated on friday, january 13th, 2006, 08:37 pm central time

    'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  7. harper

    harper Guest

    dudewithasock wrote:

    > Just find a gentle, smooth slope (I used my driveway) and have your
    > pedals in a vertical position, with the pedal corresponding to your
    > strong foot in the 6:00 position. With the unicycle in front of you,
    > place the seat in your crotch and put your strong foot on the 6:00
    > pedal, holding onto the front of the seat with your strong hand. In
    > one, smooth motion, step up with your other foot, placing it right on
    > the 12:00 pedal, and immediately start to pedal out of it. When you
    > start to get going, remove your hand from the front of the seat, and
    > off you go!

    This seems like it would require the gentle downhill because you're
    starting at the dead-pedal or no-torque position. Gravity would have to
    get you going. From here I guess you could go to the 7:00 then 8:00 and
    on positions and go to level ground because you have some starting
    torque.

    By the way, dudewithasock has an interesting 'Journal of a new
    Unicycler' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44950)
    that outlines learning progress.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  8. n9jcv

    n9jcv Guest

    One of the easiest ways is to find a gentle downhill, driveway or such.
    This way when you step on the pedal the uni wont go backward. Then you
    can plant your other foot and go.

    Whichever foot you put on the pedal first, put the pedal dead at 6
    oclock, that way it wont move. I think static mount is easier than
    rolling at first.

    --
    n9jcv
    n9jcv's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7844

  9. harper wrote:
    > This seems like it would require the gentle downhill because you're
    > starting at the dead-pedal or no-torque position. Gravity would have to
    > get you going. From here I guess you could go to the 7:00 then 8:00 and
    > on positions and go to level ground because you have some starting
    > torque.
    >
    > By the way, dudewithasock has an interesting 'Journal of a new
    > Unicycler' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44950)
    > that outlines learning progress.

    Didn't have a problem with it personally, Greg. I learned to push that
    pedal at just the right angle and force so I can pedal out of it fairly
    easily.

    If you think the 6:00 position is a bit too hard, try putting it more
    like at the 7:00. Either way, though, I have never found freemounting
    from a horizontal crank position any easier.

    Oh and speaking of my journal, I just made my last post in it.

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'
    officially ended - currently in the process of preparing it for my free
    webspace.

    'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  10. theotherguy

    theotherguy Guest

    cool, gonna have to go look at that dwas.
    and about the freemounting, what I did to learn in aobut 20 mins was
    take 10 minutes to learn to mount properly (cranks horizontally) while
    holding onto something (a pole). Then, once you can do that without
    rolling the weak pedal back and getting a nasty pedal bite, go out in
    the great wide open and try it there. If you got the process down
    right, it should only take you 10 to 20 minutes to learn to freemount!

    and good luck learning how, thats the fun part! :)

    --
    theotherguy

    Most Replys!!!
    theotherguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10761

  11. These posts have been an interesting read for me. I own a unicycle
    jointly with a group of friends. We all live quite close together
    during our time at uni and then someone takes it home during the
    holidays. About 3 of us have learnt to free mount pretty much
    independently and we all do it differently from the way described here.

    We tend to put most pressure on the lower peddle, then push back with
    the upper for a quarter or sixth term and then ride away. Is that the
    rollback mount? If so is pedalling straight forward easier?

    I've also tried to learn the mount where you pass your upper leg round
    the seat. I've not had much luck. Is that perhaps because I'm trying
    to roll back where I shouldn't be?

    Any other tips?

    Thanks,

    Griff

  12. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    If we look at the cranks as hands of a clock, then the cranks can be at
    6 and 12, 9 and 3, 8 and 2, or whatever.

    If you have a digital clock, you are doomed never to freemount a
    unicycle.;)

    I taught myself to freemount in the 6 and 12 position, but always found
    it hard work and unreliable - even after about 15 years.

    Then someone told me to try 8 and 2.

    I now use something like 8 and 2, and mounting is easy and reliable.

    The 8 pedal is the one slightly below horizontal, and should be the one
    towards you. I am right handed and right footed, and I nearly always
    mount with the 8 pedal to the left.

    Put your seat in position between your legs.

    Put your left foot on the 8 pedal.

    Makes sure the 2 pedal is at the right angle for your foot to land on
    it.

    Hold the front of the seat with your right hand.

    Push slightly forwards with your right foot so that the 8 pedal starts
    to push up against the bottom of your left foot, then spring up into
    the riding position. There should be hardly any roll back at all.

    This procedure puts you on the unicycle with your right foot in front,
    and the pedal somewhere between 1 and 2 which is a good position for
    that first power stroke.

    Freemounting, still stands, riding slowly, tight turns, idling and
    reversing have overlapping skills. For example, if you practise riding
    slowly, almost stopping, then speeding up, this is good practice for
    the first few revs after a static freemount. If you can idle, you can
    be confident with a rollback mount. And so on.

    --
    Mikefule

    I don't know where I'm going, but I've got to get there soon

  13. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On 15 Jan 2006 09:12:43 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Is that the
    >rollback mount? If so is pedalling straight forward easier?

    Yes it sounds like you do the rollback mount. Only for a rollback
    mount, most peope don't step on the pedal at its bottom position but
    somewhat more towards you, so that the wheel would actually roll back
    if you step on the pedal. That way you don't have to generate as much
    forward momentum in your body.

    Whether the rollback or the static mount is easier depends on the
    person. Most find it easiest to the the static mount.

    >I've also tried to learn the mount where you pass your upper leg round
    >the seat. I've not had much luck. Is that perhaps because I'm trying
    >to roll back where I shouldn't be?

    With that mount you start with your first foot on the pedal in its
    bottom position right? To get going once you're in the seat from that
    starting position, it's most convenient to push the top pedal somewhat
    back to get ahead of the support point. Then you reverse the wheel
    rotation i.e. ride away. It would of course be possible to mount
    already slightly to the front so that you can directly pedal away, but
    most people don't do it like that because applying forward force from
    'dead' position isn't as easy as applying backward force.