Movie of picking a Kryptonite U-lock in 15 seconds with a ballpoint pen

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Phil, Squid-in-Training, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. small change

    small change Guest

  2. MattB

    MattB Guest

  3. Firewalker

    Firewalker Guest

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    Firewalker wrote:

    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on this?

    > Hmmmm. I think I'll be changing my bike lock. No wonder so many bikes
    > are
    > stolen. You think you're safe. Does the insurance kick in for these
    > types of thefts???
    >
    > Has anyone sent these to the manufacturer(s) yet? (Then again, they've
    > probably already seen them)

    The insurance does NOT kick in for these types of thefts. Kryptonite
    guarantees against forceful breaking of their locks, and only then if you
    have the lock remains and the police report to prove it.

    Kryptonite has upgraded their EV disc lock to be supposedly immune to this
    type of picking.

    John M

  6. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    MattB wrote:

    > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on this?

    > I think it's a good idea to have a townie.
    >
    > Matt

    Amen. I had my GT Zaskar stolen this very way, I 'spect. Having a townie
    is the only rational idea. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred
    times: if you care about your bike, you will not let it out of your sight.

    John M

  7. Firewalker

    Firewalker Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MattB wrote:
    >
    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >>> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts on this?

    >> I think it's a good idea to have a townie.
    >>
    >> Matt

    > Amen. I had my GT Zaskar stolen this very way, I 'spect. Having a townie
    > is the only rational idea. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred
    > times: if you care about your bike, you will not let it out of your sight.
    >
    > John M

    It's a sad statement on society today. There are FAR too many scumbags. If
    it's not your, don't touch it!

    --

    I want a cross made out of kryptonite, so whether it's Dracula or Superman,
    I'm prepared.

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  9. > Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple
    > of seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
    > beginning.
    >
    > It just can't be!

    It sure can. Since the lock cylinder can simply be rotated instead of raked
    like in a traditional lock, it doesn't even seem like there needs to be much
    skill to open it. Did you read anything on the forum? It's reportedly been
    reproduced.

    I'm going to try it on Kryptonite once I find an appropriate pen. I will
    post results here. In the meantime, I'll be using my traditional-key cable
    lock and taking my road bike to class.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. Pistof

    Pistof Guest

  11. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:05:31 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple
    >> of seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
    >> beginning.
    >>
    >> It just can't be!

    > It sure can. Since the lock cylinder can simply be rotated instead of
    > raked
    > like in a traditional lock, it doesn't even seem like there needs to be
    > much
    > skill to open it. Did you read anything on the forum? It's reportedly
    > been
    > reproduced.

    Naw, but I'll check it out.

    > I'm going to try it on Kryptonite once I find an appropriate pen. I will
    > post results here. --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Cool.

    --
    Slacker

  12. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]
    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:22:50 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
    >
    > Any thoughts on this?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
    seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the beginning.

    It just can't be!
    --
    Slacker

    Its real, seen it with my own eyes - and did it once. Granted, same lock,
    another lock I looked at (on a friend's bike) didn't seem to work - the
    inner cylinder was too big. If I find a pen with the right diameter though
    I'm sure I could do it no problem.

    Jon "Hmm, now would be a good time to get into bike theft for some spare
    cash" Bond

  13. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:16:31 -0400, Jon Bond
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:22:50 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >>

    > Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
    > seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
    > beginning.
    >
    > It just can't be!

    Its real, seen it with my own eyes - and did it once.
    Granted, same lock,
    another lock I looked at (on a friend's bike) didn't seem to
    work - the
    inner cylinder was too big. If I find a pen with the right
    diameter though
    I'm sure I could do it no problem.

    Jon "Hmm, now would be a good time to get into bike theft
    for some spare
    cash" Bond

    That's so insane. Do these
    http://www.atvillustrated.com/product_reviews/kryptonite/images/chainb.jpg
    suffer from the same problem?

    Guess it's time to finally get off my ass and get that renter's ins.
    --
    Slacker

  14. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:22:50 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >>

    > Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
    > seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the
    > beginning.
    >
    > It just can't be!

    Its real, seen it with my own eyes - and did it once.
    Granted, same lock,
    another lock I looked at (on a friend's bike) didn't seem to
    work - the
    inner cylinder was too big. If I find a pen with the right
    diameter though
    I'm sure I could do it no problem.

    Jon "Hmm, now would be a good time to get into bike theft
    for some spare
    cash" Bond

    That's so insane. Do these
    http://www.atvillustrated.com/product_reviews/kryptonite/images/chainb.jpg
    suffer from the same problem?

    Guess it's time to finally get off my ass and get that renter's ins.
    --
    Slacker

    Circular key - so probably.

    The NY 3000 U locks have a bladed key, so they're immune. I think a few of
    the new york disc locks (which is the kind of lock there, they're designed
    for motorcycle disc brakes) have the same bladed key.

    Anything with a circular key is gonna be vulnerable to this method (if not
    the bic pen, a properly sized tube)! Be careful out there!

    Jon

  15. NotaKnob

    NotaKnob Guest

    > Come-on, that can't be real. Play close attention to the first couple of
    > seconds... hardly convinced me that the lock was locked from the beginning.
    >
    > It just can't be!

    I tried this on my Kryptonite Evo 2000. Took about 1 minute the first
    time, about 15 seconds for anytime after that.

    I'll never use anything with a round key on my bike again.

    Bruce