Moving a bed

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I've just joined the ranks of those who've moved heavy or bulky items of
    furniture by bike. We enlisted a friend, then he and Catherine held the
    bed (in bits) on the kids' trailer (/sans/ kids) while I pushed the bike.

    And to think Catherine didn't believe it would work!

    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

  2. Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I've just joined the ranks of those who've moved heavy or bulky items of
    > furniture by bike. We enlisted a friend, then he and Catherine held the
    > bed (in bits) on the kids' trailer (/sans/ kids) while I pushed the bike.
    >
    > And to think Catherine didn't believe it would work!

    Putting the bed on castors / skates and towing it with 2 riders at the
    front would have been more fun if the route was quite flat!

    peter

  3. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 25 Mar 2006, naked_draughtsman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Putting the bed on castors / skates and towing it with 2 riders at the
    > front would have been more fun if the route was quite flat!

    and even more fun if it was downhill...

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  4. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On 25 Mar 2006 17:46:48 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 25 Mar 2006, naked_draughtsman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Putting the bed on castors / skates and towing it with 2 riders at the
    >> front would have been more fun if the route was quite flat!

    >and even more fun if it was downhill...

    Could this be achieved safely by attaching a bike front and rear? The
    front bike would 'steer' the bed and the rear bike would act as the
    brakes, preventing the bed from overtaking the front bike.

  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    naked_draughtsman wrote:
    > Putting the bed on castors / skates and towing it with 2 riders at the
    > front would have been more fun if the route was quite flat!

    Last weekend I spotted a couple of kids who had acquired an armchair
    from somewhere, had put a micro-scooter under it and were trying to ride
    the chair on the scooter. As I passed I heard one of them say that they
    needed something bigger, like a skateboard.

    When I walked past again an hour or so later, they had two scooters, a
    skateboard and the armchair and were still experimenting with different
    combinations. It was good to see that at least some kids still do that
    sort of thing.

  6. [email protected] wrote:
    | I've just joined the ranks of those who've moved heavy or bulky items of
    | furniture by bike. ...

    About a fortnight ago I wombled ten nine-foot lengths of slightly used
    two-by-four (or whatever the metric equivalent is) from a skip in the
    University Science Area and towed them home propped up in the Burley
    Bee (sans passenger). Despite putting bricks in the front of the trailer,
    the trailing four or five feet of two-by-four made the back wheel of the
    bike a little light on the ground, and I felt I had to dismount to get
    over the Science Area speed humps. (Does anyone still call them sleeping
    policemen?) As I was negotiating the cattle grid and the last of the
    barriers at the home end of the bit of NCN51 that crosses the University
    Parks I was met by a bicycling family with a German accent and a child
    sitting up in a cargo trailer. Something of the irony of the situation
    was lost in the (presumed) father's remark that that was "very practical".
    I have been worried since that there is some sense of "praktisch" which
    has previously eluded me, and means something like ludicrously impractical.

  7. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I've just joined the ranks of those who've moved heavy or bulky items of
    > furniture by bike. We enlisted a friend, then he and Catherine held the
    > bed (in bits) on the kids' trailer (/sans/ kids) while I pushed the bike.

    Yesterday I caught up with a friend whom I haven't seen for some years.
    She was telling me about her brother-in-law who went to the West Country
    last year for a scything (sp?) festival . He took his bike to Devon on
    the train, and camped at the festival.

    At the festival he bought a hand-made scythe, and managed to fasten it
    to the bike frame for the journey home. He arrived at the station for an
    early morning train and got there just as the station attendant was
    opening up. He was somewhat alarmed to see the scythe on the bike, but
    did allow him onto the train with it.

  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    naked_draughtsman wrote:

    > Putting the bed on castors / skates and towing it with 2 riders at the
    > front would have been more fun if the route was quite flat!

    Castors shatter on anything but the smoothest of surfaces at anything
    above a very slow walking speed. :-(

    R.

  9. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I've just joined the ranks of those who've moved heavy or bulky items of
    > furniture by bike. We enlisted a friend, then he and Catherine held the
    > bed (in bits) on the kids' trailer (/sans/ kids) while I pushed the bike.
    >
    > And to think Catherine didn't believe it would work!

    You obvoiusly need a cargo trailer like this:
    http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/picture071.jpg

    Forget a new bike, a new trailer is really what you want.
    Mine now has two 20" wheels, but of different sizes (one is 206, the
    other 240). Judicious use of tyre pressures keeps the trailer rolling
    straight. (Took an old fridge to the dump at the weekend).

    ...d

  10. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    >
    >>I've just joined the ranks of those who've moved heavy or bulky items of
    >>furniture by bike. We enlisted a friend, then he and Catherine held the
    >>bed (in bits) on the kids' trailer (/sans/ kids) while I pushed the bike.
    >>
    >>And to think Catherine didn't believe it would work!

    > You obvoiusly need a cargo trailer like this:
    > http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/picture071.jpg

    .... or like one of these ...

    http://www.bikesatwork.com/

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Question _your own_ authority.

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > You obvoiusly need a cargo trailer like this:
    > http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/picture071.jpg

    You're absolutely right, though I'd have nowhere to keep it. At some
    point I must widen my garden gate (which will mean destroying part of a
    wall), so that I can get a two-wheeled trailer through it, then build a
    brick shed in the back garden.

    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>