moving a bike; maintenance on seldom used bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Paul Holbrook, May 17, 2003.

  1. It looks like I'm about to have to move from Atlanta to Southern CA.

    I have a Trek 520 that I bought new around '86-88. I think I've had the bike overhauled since I
    moved to Atlanta in '96, but I've ridden *very* little. I'd be surprised if it has even 30 miles on
    it since I last had it in the shop.

    Despite the fact that it's been hanging on a hook in my garage for most of that time, it clearly
    needs at least a tune-up. The handlebar tape is coming off, and the front derailleur tends to lose
    the chain.

    A couple of questions:

    1. What's the best way to get the bike from Atlanta to Pasadena, CA? I've considering getting a bike
    carton and bringing it with me on the plane, but I'm almost certain I'd incur a $50 oversized
    baggage charge, and I'll still have to get a carton and get it packed.

    I believe I've seen someone on this list suggest going to a bike shop and let them pack it and ship
    it. Sounds like that would cost about $80
    - $40 to pack, another $40 for UPS. If I do that, the best suggestion seems to be to have them ship
    it to another bike shop. They can get it set up, and have it ready for me when I get out there.

    2. Given how little I've ridden the bike, do I need a tune-up, or should I get an overhaul? What
    kind of deterioration happens if the bike is not being ridden?

    If I get the bike shipped to a bike shop in CA, I'm guessing that best idea is to let them do the
    tune-up or overhaul; they're doing to need to put it back together in any case.

    3. Any recommendations on good bike shops out in the Pasadena, CA area? If I'm going to have to ship
    the bike out to them and have them work on it before I get there, I'd like to find a good shop,
    and I'm going to have to work with them sight-unseen.

    -- Paul

    Tags:

  2. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Paul Holbrook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It looks like I'm about to have to move from Atlanta to Southern CA.
    >
    > I have a Trek 520 that I bought new around '86-88. I think I've had the bike overhauled since I
    > moved to Atlanta in '96, but I've ridden *very* little. I'd be surprised if it has even 30 miles
    > on it since I last had it in the shop.
    >
    > Despite the fact that it's been hanging on a hook in my garage for most of that time, it clearly
    > needs at least a tune-up. The handlebar tape is coming off, and the front derailleur tends to lose
    > the chain.
    >
    > A couple of questions:
    >
    > 1. What's the best way to get the bike from Atlanta to Pasadena, CA?

    Ride it!

    > 3. Any recommendations on good bike shops out in the Pasadena, CA area?

    You don't need a bike shop, get a book and learn to tune-up your bike yourself.

    Hawke

  3. >> 3. Any recommendations on good bike shops out in the Pasadena, CA area?

    >You don't need a bike shop, get a book and learn to tune-up your bike yourself.

    Maybe he doesn't want to work on his bike. Can you recommend a good bike shop in Pasadena?

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  4. "Hawke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > 1. What's the best way to get the bike from Atlanta to Pasadena, CA?
    >
    > Ride it!

    And if he doesn't have four months to kill?

    -Luigi modern life is rubbish

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 19 May 2003 06:35:27 -0700, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

    >> > 1. What's the best way to get the bike from Atlanta to Pasadena, CA?
    >> Ride it!
    >And if he doesn't have four months to kill?

    Get a fairing ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >> 3. Any recommendations on good bike shops out in the
    Pasadena, CA area?

    > >You don't need a bike shop, get a book and learn to
    tune-up your bike
    > >yourself.
    >
    > Maybe he doesn't want to work on his bike. Can you
    recommend a good bike
    > shop in Pasadena?

    I'm sure there are several. Not exactly Pasadena, but one that I have experience with is Budget
    Bikes in Eagle Rock, on Colorado Bl. right near Eagle Rock Plaza, just off the 2. They have a good
    selection of all kinds of parts, and a lot of road bike stuff. They're much more road oriented than
    most shops, though they have everything else too. They're friendly and very down to earth --
    refreshing for SoCal -- a real neighborhood bike shop.

    Matt O.

  7. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >> Ride it!
    > >And if he doesn't have four months to kill?
    >
    > Get a fairing ;-)

    Ooo-err...

    Doesn't sound half as dodgy as to get oneself faired.

    Or even "to slip on the bodystocking"

    -Luigi rusting away in the C-zone

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 19 May 2003 16:37:42 -0700, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

    >> Get a fairing ;-)

    >Ooo-err... Doesn't sound half as dodgy as to get oneself faired.

    Which brings us neatly back to Sheldon's new look...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.