Moving Brazed-On Cantilever Studs

Question Man

Guest
All -

Is it possible to have a frame builder move cantilever
studs from the postion for 700C wheels to the position for
27" wheels?

Is there any risk in the structural strength of the seat
stay when doing so? That is, when the studs are taken off
& then re-brazed, is the overall strength of the seat
stay affected?

The bike is an old steel Raleigh, by the way.

Thanks!

Phil

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:09:54 GMT, Question Man <[email protected]>
wrote:

>All -
>
>Is it possible to have a frame builder move cantilever
>studs from the postion for 700C wheels to the position for
>27" wheels?
>
>Is there any risk in the structural strength of the seat
>stay when doing so? That is, when the studs are taken off &
>then re-brazed, is the overall strength of the seat stay
>affected?
>
>The bike is an old steel Raleigh, by the way.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Phil

It won't be a problem for a properly equipped framebuilder.
He may choose to use new studs. The structural strength
shouldn't be a problem. I suspect you will find when talking
to the framebuilder, that he will indicate a small
possibility of failure, just to cover his butt. Assuming a
steel frame, it should be trivial for a competent person.

Question Man <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it possible to have a frame builder move cantilever
> studs from the postion for 700C wheels to the position for
> 27" wheels?

> Phil

If you really want to go from 700c to 27" (a dubious
expedient imo), it should not be difficult to find "tall"
cantilever brakes that will gain the extra 4mm in height.
Some cantis have a lot of vertical adjustability - e.g.
certain Pauls, Avid Tri-Aligns, and some Tektros that look
like less fancy versions of the Avids. Going from 27" to
700c is harder.

I just had the studs moved down (27"-700) on my touring
bikes forks. Had lowrider bosses installed too while it was
there. It's actually a very simple process and quite
inexpensive.

The folks here turned me on to the idea and now I can use
stock linear-pulls on the front as well as on the rear.
Dopn't need my (and Sheldon's) Macgyverism anymore.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner