Moving parts to new frame...

rainbowarehouse

Jul 15, 2011
Hi,

I've been cycling since before I can remember, but this is the first time I've decided to undertake anything more than tightening brake cables or adjusting gears so I'm posting here for advice.

Basically a couple of years ago, I had a very nice Claud Butler MTB, that had its life cut short when a storm caused a clump of bricks from a chimney to fall down the side of our house onto the bike. Because our insurance was a bit ****, the best we could get was a £250 voucher for Halfords without paying any excess. At the time, I wasn't riding much so I chose a replacement bike and let it sit around like it's predecessor.

Fast forward to now, I have decided to start riding again. The bike I currently have is a Carrera Vulcan Disc Spec. I can't remember what year we got it exactly, but it is red. Exactly like this:

http://images.thebikelist.co.uk/imag...in-bike-08.jpg

There are a few things I don't like about the bike. The first two I have changed. These were the tyres which I have replaced for semi-slick road tyes, and the handlebars (originally too wide, almost 70cm) which I have replaced with some 540mm ones.
Apart from this, the brakes, gears, rims and forks all seem decent enough. Even though they aren't the lightest parts available, the frame is adding the vast majority of the overall weight, as it doesn't feel much lighter with both wheels and tyres taken off. For this reason I want to replace the frame with something lighter.
After a look around online, I found this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...uctDescription

First I should ask if it will actually be lighter than my current frame? It is made from 7005 alloy, which Wikipedia tells me is a alluminium-zinc-magnesium alloy. I know that each of these metals is considered lightweight, but it might not be as simple as that with regards to a bicycle frame. However, my main question is that of compatibility with the parts on my current bike (the Carrera Vulvan Disc Spec) as if I can reuse them all, I effectively reduce the weight of my bike considerably for only £135.

The only thing I've previously built with components from the ground up is a computer, but as far as fitting components inside a case is concerned, computing is pretty standardised into a single(ish) universal specification.

It would be easy for me to compare size specs of the Scott frame to my Carrera bike, but I cannot find measurements for the Carrera anywhere online. If it makes any difference, I would be getting the x-large Scott frame (6 foot 2 here)

Thank you very much for any help or advice,
Toby