Moving to chicago, wrigley area

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ruprecte

Hey all, it looks like I'll be moving to Chicago here in a few months and was just wondering if
anyone has any info regarding how the riding is in the area. Thx in advance Ruprecte

Hi Ruprecte,

I am a Realtor who specializes in the Wrigleyville area and would be happy to help you with any
information you may need about the area or with finding a new home.

The biking opportunities here are terrific. Wrigleyville is very close to Lake Michigan and there
are many bike paths, including a very popular one along the lakefront. My favorite destination is
the Chicago Botanic Gardens, a healthy ride from downtown Chicago.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Regards,

Tracey Coldewey Regent Realty Group, Inc.

"ruprecte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey all, it looks like I'll be moving to Chicago here in a few months and was just wondering if
> anyone has any info regarding how the riding is in the area. Thx in advance Ruprecte

Tracey Coldewey wrote:
> Hi Ruprecte,
>
> I am a Realtor who specializes in the Wrigleyville area and would be happy to help you with any
> information you may need about the area or with finding a new home.
>
> The biking opportunities here are terrific. Wrigleyville is very close to Lake Michigan and there
> are many bike paths, including a very popular one along the lakefront. My favorite destination is
> the Chicago Botanic Gardens, a healthy ride from downtown Chicago.
>
> Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tracey Coldewey Regent Realty Group, Inc.

He meant MOUNTAIN biking, did you get that?

penny

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:28:02 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tracey Coldewey wrote:
>> Hi Ruprecte,
>>
>> I am a Realtor who specializes in the Wrigleyville area and would be happy to help you with any
>> information you may need about the area or with finding a new home.
>>
>> The biking opportunities here are terrific. Wrigleyville is very close to Lake Michigan and there
>> are many bike paths, including a very popular one along the lakefront. My favorite destination is
>> the Chicago Botanic Gardens, a healthy ride from downtown Chicago.
>>
>> Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tracey Coldewey Regent Realty Group, Inc.
>
>
>He meant MOUNTAIN biking, did you get that?
>
>penny
>

Actually, he ddin't say MTB'ing. But this IS a mountain bike group isn't it?

Dave (course, they could be talking about Adult-BMX'ing.)

ruprecte <[email protected]> wrote:
: Hey all, it looks like I'll be moving to Chicago here in a few months and was just wondering if
: anyone has any info regarding how the riding is in the area. Thx in advance Ruprecte

My favorite place is Hennepin Canal in the western edge of the state, about the only place I've
found where you can get to spots where you don't hear or see planes, trains, automobiles or other
human created noise... It's a 100 mile dirt path... bring water (drinking water is only available in
a few places).

--
John Nelson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ruprecte <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Hey all, it looks like I'll be moving to Chicago here in a few months
and
> : was just wondering if anyone has any info regarding how the riding is in
the
> : area. Thx in advance Ruprecte
>
> My favorite place is Hennepin Canal in the western edge of the state,
about
> the only place I've found where you can get to spots where you don't hear or see planes, trains,
> automobiles or other human created noise... It's a 100 mile dirt path... bring water (drinking
> water is only available in a few places).
>
> --
> John Nelson
>
Thx for the info guys, I did mean Mtb'ing in the original post and unfortanetely it doesnt look like
their is much in the immediate area..oh well maybe Ill be able to talk the girlfriend into grad
school in colorado with me....By the way Penny I forgot to reply to you a while back but I am the
same guy, I took care of my dads house in post falls for a month or so last summer, but now Im right
next to canfield mountain..which isent exactly what its been cracked up to, but better than nothing
I know.-Ruprecte

ruprecte wrote:> Thx for the info guys, I did mean Mtb'ing in the original post and
> unfortanetely it doesnt look like their is much in the immediate area..oh well maybe Ill be able
> to talk the girlfriend into grad school in colorado with me....By the way Penny I forgot to reply
> to you a while back but I am the same guy, I took care of my dads house in post falls for a month
> or so last summer, but now Im right next to canfield mountain..which isent exactly what its been
> cracked up to, but better than nothing I know.-Ruprecte

what I've heard about Canfield is real mixed. I'll check it out one of these days.

p.

ruprecte <[email protected]> wrote:

: "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
:> ruprecte <[email protected]> wrote:
:> : Hey all, it looks like I'll be moving to Chicago here in a few months
: and
:> : was just wondering if anyone has any info regarding how the riding is in
: the
:> : area. Thx in advance Ruprecte
:>
:> My favorite place is Hennepin Canal in the western edge of the state,
: about
:> the only place I've found where you can get to spots where you don't hear or see planes, trains,
:> automobiles or other human created noise... It's a 100 mile dirt path... bring water (drinking
:> water is only available in a few places).
:> --
:> John Nelson
: Thx for the info guys, I did mean Mtb'ing in the original post and unfortanetely it doesnt look
: like their is much in the immediate area..oh well maybe Ill be able to talk the girlfriend into
: grad school in colorado with me....By the way Penny I forgot to reply to you a while back but I am
: the same guy, I took care of my dads house in post falls for a month or so last summer, but now Im
: right next to canfield mountain..which isent exactly what its been cracked up to, but better than
: nothing I know.-Ruprecte

Well... your not moving to "Mountain country". I think the highest elevation in the state of
Illinois is 700 feet above sea level...most of the state is in the 600's...

I made a map of the dirt trails on the south end of Busse Lake which is near town (it's on my
website), but it's near OHare and I-290, so you can always hear cars (sometimes see them too)
and you can always hear and see planes. Took my boy scouts thru it... they liked riding thru
the creek...

Check the I&M trail also.. I have those scanned and posted too, but, because there are so many
people in Northeastern Illinois, you really have to get out near Seneca before it gets quiet. One
neat thing though is that you can nearly bike the entire width of the state on bike trails... that
was something we did with scouts too.

--
John Nelson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)

"ruprecte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > ruprecte <[email protected]> wrote:
> > : Hey all, it looks like I'll be moving to Chicago here in a few months
> and
> > : was just wondering if anyone has any info regarding how the riding is in
> the
> > : area. Thx in advance Ruprecte
> >
> > My favorite place is Hennepin Canal in the western edge of the state,
> about
> > the only place I've found where you can get to spots where you don't hear or see planes, trains,
> > automobiles or other human created noise... It's a 100 mile dirt path... bring water (drinking
> > water is only available in a few places).
> >
> > --
> > John Nelson
> >
> Thx for the info guys, I did mean Mtb'ing in the original post and unfortanetely it doesnt look
> like their is much in the immediate area..oh well maybe Ill be able to talk the girlfriend into
> grad school in colorado with me....By the way Penny I forgot to reply to you a while back but I am
> the same guy, I took care of my dads house in post falls for a month or so last summer, but now Im
> right next to canfield mountain..which isent exactly what its been cracked up to, but better than
> nothing I know.-Ruprecte

The Wrigley area really is a cool place to be, though. A couple of years ago my sister bought me
tickets to see the White Sox play the Cubs at Wriglely field, and what an experience it was! Just
being around all the buzz before the game was almost as exciting as being at the game. As far as
riding goes, you are right, not much off road opportunities around. There is a large nature preserve
out near O'Hare that alot of people ride, but most people will take the hour or so drive to
Wisconsin to get into some real trails.

> Thx for the info guys, I did mean Mtb'ing in the original post

Hello,

I'm from Utah... and I must admit there's not much in the Chicago Area (I'm attending school there
now). If you want to get the MTB feel, I recommend buying "Chicago Mountain Bike Trails Guide" by
P.L. Strazz. It's a good place to start, and it includes locations in southern Wisconsin and
Michigan. I've been on several of the trails... but Wisconsin is actually more than two hours away
including traffic and obeying the speed limit...

Also there's a midwest mtb website: http://www.midwestmtb.com/ and a Chicago Area mountain biker's

The one place I've been that's pretty good and close is: Palos. If you've heard of Swallow Cliff or
Sag Valley, that's the southern division of Palos which is officially closed. It's off of I-55, get
off at the LaGrange exit, take Archer South, and swing a left at Maple lake, then a sharp right and
park at any of the parking lots on the Right. The first parking lot is the "staging area".
Unfortunately, the really good mountain biking trails are officially closed, and unmarked. To find
them, I'd recommend going on a sunny day when a lot of bikers are there and follow someone with a
full suspension rig. If you goto www.cambr.org, there's a map of palos. Head straight for 3 ravines.
That's a good area. Be nice to everyone on the trail... many of the trails have been closed due to
trail abuse.

If you wanna find some local riders in the know, you might want to talk to the cambr people. Also,
every year there's one or two bike shows at Navy Pier. You can find some good people there that are
in the know.

Tell me if this helps... maybe I'll bump into you.

- JD

Status
Not open for further replies.