MP3 Design or parallelogram for tricycle

G.fried

Guest
Hello,

I want to ride a three wheeler in winter and checking the solutions.
Having seen the piaggio mp3 scooter I think this is no solution for a
bicycle.
Does anybody has experience with a parallelogram design for suspension
of two front wheels whith ordinary forks?

many thanks

G.fried

www.hyperbike.cc

G.fried wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to ride a three wheeler in winter and checking the solutions.
> Having seen the piaggio mp3 scooter I think this is no solution for a
> bicycle.
> Does anybody has experience with a parallelogram design for suspension
> of two front wheels whith ordinary forks?

Sorry, don't know of any such product.

I know I've seen upright frames with "side-by-side" forks, but no
suspension or leaning mechanisms were present....

From online comments, the MP3 seems to have leaning ability. If it
does, then how is this controlled?

.....A lot of bicycle home-experimenters have tried building lean-steer
trikes, and found out the hard way that mechanically linking a leaning
axis with a steering axis doesn't work real well, unless you only ride
at low speeds on level ground.

--------

Also We Note: you could just buy some studded tires, unless you're
riding a ultra-light road bike. In which case you can't.
~

On Jun 19, 1:25 pm, "G.fried" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to ride a three wheeler in winter and checking the solutions.
> Having seen the piaggio mp3 scooter I think this is no solution for a
> bicycle.
> Does anybody has experience with a parallelogram design for suspension
> of two front wheels whith ordinary forks?

On a "tadpole" (2 wheels in front) trike, only rear suspension is
needed for a comfortable ride. The tendency on a tadpole is to avoid
potholes and debris with the front wheels, but to hit them with the
rear wheel. This will greatly simplify the design of the front end,
and will weigh much less. Mount the front wheels on single-sided hubs
and use disc brakes, like this: <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/
Dragonflyer/df11.jpg>.

On Jun 19, 10:25 am, "G.fried" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to ride a three wheeler in winter and checking the solutions.
> Having seen the piaggio mp3 scooter I think this is no solution for a
> bicycle.
> Does anybody has experience with a parallelogram design for suspension
> of two front wheels whith ordinary forks?
>
> many thanks
>
> G.fried
>
> www.hyperbike.cc

The only "production" trike that I know of with a parallelogram
leaning linkage is the Tripendo: http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm
.. There's also the Curve: http://curve.free.fr/produit.htm , but I
don't know if it's made it to production.

I *have* seen an upright leaning trike with a simple parallelogram
linking the front wheels. It was a very basic college project, but it
worked remarkably well. The parallelogram pivoted at a conventional
bike frame's head tube, while the "auxiliary" head tubes mounted
entirely conventional forks. It looked like the entire thing was
ridden as if it were a "normal" bicycle.

And that's the design's weakness- it has none of the advantages of a
trike (stability, surefootedness on slick surfaces), with *all* of the
extra weight. Not having seen the Piaggio, I wonder what it's
advantages are supposed to be?

Jeff

JeffWills schrieb:
> The only "production" trike that I know of with a parallelogram
> leaning linkage is the Tripendo: http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm
> . There's also the Curve: http://curve.free.fr/produit.htm , but I
> don't know if it's made it to production.

Thank you so much- I need a conventinal design- but that looks amazing
too.

> I *have* seen an upright leaning trike with a simple parallelogram
> linking the front wheels. It was a very basic college project, but it
> worked remarkably well. The parallelogram pivoted at a conventional
> bike frame's head tube, while the "auxiliary" head tubes mounted
> entirely conventional forks. It looked like the entire thing was
> ridden as if it were a "normal" bicycle.
>
> And that's the design's weakness- it has none of the advantages of a
> trike (stability, surefootedness on slick surfaces), with *all* of the
> extra weight. Not having seen the Piaggio, I wonder what it's
> advantages are supposed to be?

That's I do not understand - as for the MP3 it is said that it goes
swifter through curves... It certainly does not fall that easy on sand
or ice.

Gerfried

"G.fried" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JeffWills schrieb:
>> The only "production" trike that I know of with a parallelogram
>> leaning linkage is the Tripendo: http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm
>> . There's also the Curve: http://curve.free.fr/produit.htm , but I
>> don't know if it's made it to production.
>>

> Thank you so much- I need a conventinal design- but that looks amazing
> too.
>

>> I *have* seen an upright leaning trike with a simple parallelogram
>> linking the front wheels. It was a very basic college project, but it
>> worked remarkably well. The parallelogram pivoted at a conventional
>> bike frame's head tube, while the "auxiliary" head tubes mounted
>> entirely conventional forks. It looked like the entire thing was
>> ridden as if it were a "normal" bicycle.
>>
>> And that's the design's weakness- it has none of the advantages of a
>> trike (stability, surefootedness on slick surfaces), with *all* of the
> > extra weight. Not having seen the Piaggio, I wonder what it's
> > advantages are supposed to be?

> That's I do not understand - as for the MP3 it is said that it goes
> swifter through curves... It certainly does not fall that easy on sand or
> ice.
>

> Gerfried

I suspect that they desire Tripendo to be interpreted as tri-pendo (three
suspensions) rather than as I did as trip-endo.
Kerry

On Jun 19, 10:39 pm, "G.fried" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > And that's the design's weakness- it has none of the advantages of a
> > trike (stability, surefootedness on slick surfaces), with *all* of the

> > extra weight. Not having seen the Piaggio, I wonder what it's
> > advantages are supposed to be?

> That's I do not understand - as for the MP3 it is said that it goes
> swifter through curves... It certainly does not fall that easy on sand
> or ice.
>
> Gerfried

Ummm... have you ridden one for yourself, ar are you relying on
magazine reviews?

Jeff

JeffWills schrieb:
> On Jun 19, 10:39 pm, "G.fried" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> And that's the design's weakness- it has none of the advantages of a
>>> trike (stability, surefootedness on slick surfaces), with *all* of the
>> > extra weight. Not having seen the Piaggio, I wonder what it's
>> > advantages are supposed to be?

>> That's I do not understand - as for the MP3 it is said that it goes
>> swifter through curves... It certainly does not fall that easy on sand
>> or ice.
>>
>> Gerfried

> Ummm... have you ridden one for yourself, ar are you relying on
> magazine reviews?

its physics - a two wheeler turns down whilst a three wheeler slides...

G.fried

Kerry Montgomery wrote:

> I suspect that they desire Tripendo to be interpreted as tri-pendo (three
> suspensions) rather than as I did as trip-endo.
> Kerry

Could be, is their slogan anything like "shortest stopping distances
ever"?... Or "stop or die trying"?... It would certainly explain the
dual front wheels.

:)

How about-
"The end of your ride is the worst part--*guaranteed!*"
~

On Jun 21, 9:42 am, "G.fried" <[email protected]> wrote:
> JeffWills schrieb:

> >> That's I do not understand - as for the MP3 it is said that it goes
> >> swifter through curves... It certainly does not fall that easy on sand
> >> or ice.

> >> Gerfried

> > Ummm... have you ridden one for yourself, ar are you relying on
> > magazine reviews?

> its physics - a two wheeler turns down whilst a three wheeler slides...
>
> G.fried

Again- I don't understand. If a leaning vehicle (either two or three
wheel) slides, it's probably going to fall over on its side unless the
rider is very capable. A leaning three-wheeler with two front wheels
*could* have a greater safety margin (since the front has twice as
much traction), but it's still possible to end up on your side.

One more time: have you ridden one for yourself?

Jeff