mp3 player

Dave King

Guest
I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while running. I think that would help me enjoy
my workouts better.

Can anyone recommend one? I am immediately drawn to the small mp3 players, like Nike has put out,
but if the larger players that play CDs with mp3 files on them are good quality (no skipping) I
would consider them too.

DK

"Dave King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:%[email protected]...
> I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while running. I think that would help me
> enjoy my workouts better.
>
> Can anyone recommend one? I am immediately drawn to the small mp3 players, like Nike has put out,
> but if the larger players that play CDs with mp3 files on them are good quality (no skipping) I
> would consider them too.

My wife has used and abused an iRiver for the past year with no problems. It fits inside the key
pocket of her tights/shorts and the sound is great.

Jim Johnson

"Jim Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Dave King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:%[email protected]...
> > I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while running. I think that would help me
> > enjoy my workouts better.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend one? I am immediately drawn to the small mp3 players, like Nike has put
> > out, but if the larger players that play CDs with mp3 files on them are good quality (no
> > skipping) I would consider them too.
>
> My wife has used and abused an iRiver for the past year with no problems.
It
> fits inside the key pocket of her tights/shorts and the sound is great.
>
> Jim Johnson

If this post doesn't tempt Miss Anne Thrope out of the woodwork, what will?

I would suggest that you get one with at least 128 meg of memory, and an FM tuner.

I use RCA Lyra and love it, but there are a lot out on the market now.

"Jonathan Sydenham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> If this post doesn't tempt Miss Anne Thrope out of the woodwork, what
will?

Probably someone goading them into posting more and more trollish, pointless posts. You wouldn't
know anyone like that, would you? ;)

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
other people down constantly."

ihave a creative lab nomad with 128 mb + a 128 mb card which gives me about 3 hours of good stereo
sound. only complaint is that its RANDOM function isn't random enough ( i might hear the same song
twice or 3 times in an hour, whine...) the software to load it on my PC is good enough.

advice: -do get an FM tuner in it (the world might end whilst running)

-buy headphones that are comfortable (most come with junk)

-buy headphones w/ volume control so you can adjust volume without pulling the device out of a
pocket, pack, holder, etc.

-run the wire to the headphones under your clothing so you don't pull it by accident whilst running
(i ruin many a headphone before doing this)

- keep volume low enough to hear the world ending or people passing...

- load it up with songs from Rilo Kiley and Apples in Stereo!

"Dave King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<o%[email protected]>...
> I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while running. I think that would help me
> enjoy my workouts better.
>
> Can anyone recommend one? I am immediately drawn to the small mp3 players, like Nike has put out,
> but if the larger players that play CDs with mp3 files on them are good quality (no skipping) I
> would consider them too.
>
> DK

RCA Lyra with the bicep pouch. Couldn't be happier.

Dave King wrote:

>I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while running. I think that would help me
>enjoy my workouts better.
>
>Can anyone recommend one?

Just went through this choice myself. I narrowed it down to the iRiver iHP-120 (hard drive based)
and Rio Cali (flash memory based).

In the end I went for the iHP-120 as I doubt I'll ever feel the urge to listen to tunes when I'm
running. From a running perspective, I liked the look of the Rio Cali 256MB. It is small and
light, it has the minimum amount of memory (256MB) that I consider useful, and it takes SD cards
for expansion making it very useful and flexible. If reviews are anything to go by, zdnet.com was
nice about it.

Malc

In article <[email protected]>, run_now wrote:
> ihave a creative lab nomad with 128 mb + a 128 mb card which gives me about 3 hours of good stereo
> sound. only complaint is that its RANDOM function isn't random enough ( i might hear the same song
> twice or 3 times in an hour, whine...)

No, that is how "random" works unfortunately. If you have a list of 12 songs, the chance of hearing
one you've already heard is about 90% after 7 songs, and about 25% after 3 songs. So quite often,
you'd get a repeat after just 3 songs.

Cheers,

In article <o%[email protected]>, Dave King wrote:
> I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while running. I think that would help me
> enjoy my workouts better.
>
> Can anyone recommend one? I am immediately drawn to the small mp3 players, like Nike has put out,
> but if the larger players that play CDs with mp3 files on them are good quality (no skipping) I
> would consider them too.

I have the Nike PSA player and am quite happy with it. I looked at the Rio Cali, but very few
reviews were out at the time, so I didn't get it. However, the Rio Cali has been doing well in the
reviews, so it's worth a look.

Cheers,

Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, run_now wrote:
>> ihave a creative lab nomad with 128 mb + a 128 mb card which gives me about 3 hours of good
>> stereo sound. only complaint is that its RANDOM function isn't random enough ( i might hear the
>> same song twice or 3 times in an hour, whine...)
>
> No, that is how "random" works unfortunately. If you have a list of 12 songs, the chance of
> hearing one you've already heard is about 90% after 7 songs, and about 25% after 3 songs. So quite
> often, you'd get a repeat after just 3 songs.
>
> Cheers,

Then they should code it to remove the songs already played from the list of random choices.

-Phil

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:26:14 -0800, "Jason Wagner" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>RCA Lyra with the bicep pouch. Couldn't be happier.

I love my Lyra, but would have appreciated a slightly longer strap. One of these days I may break
down and buy a memory upgrade for it, but first I'd have to upgrade my music collection. I get
about 28 songs in the 128mb memory I have now. :)

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all
its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:09:21 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, run_now wrote:
>> ihave a creative lab nomad with 128 mb + a 128 mb card which gives me about 3 hours of good
>> stereo sound. only complaint is that its RANDOM function isn't random enough ( i might hear the
>> same song twice or 3 times in an hour, whine...)
>
>No, that is how "random" works unfortunately. If you have a list of 12 songs, the chance of hearing
>one you've already heard is about 90% after 7 songs, and about 25% after 3 songs. So quite often,
>you'd get a repeat after just 3 songs.

What is needed is a function to randomize the entire list of songs, play that entire list, then
randomize it again. I once had a CD/MP3 player with this feature, unfortunately it was useless for
my running for several reasons.

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all
its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

I'm real happy with my Rio Cali (256).

"Johnny Bravo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:26:14 -0800, "Jason Wagner" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >RCA Lyra with the bicep pouch. Couldn't be happier.
>
> I love my Lyra, but would have appreciated a slightly longer strap. One of these days I may
> break down and buy a memory upgrade for it, but first I'd have to upgrade my music collection. I
> get about 28 songs in the 128mb memory I have now. :)
>
> --
> "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate
> all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

I purchased the RIO S35S from Sam's club. It came with 128mb built in memory and and additional 32mb
card. The music replay is great but the FM tuner does not pick up good signals inside my GYM.

The only thing I do no like is the cheap plastic casee that comes with the player, usually keep mine
in my pocket.

I also recently purchased a 512mb card for the player (on sale $99.00 after rebate)

wrote:

>I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while running. I think that would help me
>enjoy my workouts better.
>
>Can anyone recommend one? I am immediately drawn to the small mp3 players, like Nike has put out,
>but if the larger players that play CDs with mp3 files on them are good quality (no skipping) I
>would consider them too.
>
>DK

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, run_now wrote:
> >> ihave a creative lab nomad with 128 mb + a 128 mb card which gives me about 3 hours of good
> >> stereo sound. only complaint is that its RANDOM function isn't random enough ( i might hear the
> >> same song twice or 3 times in an hour, whine...)
> >
> > No, that is how "random" works unfortunately. If you have a list of 12 songs, the chance of
> > hearing one you've already heard is about 90% after 7 songs, and about 25% after 3 songs. So
> > quite often, you'd get a repeat after just 3 songs.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Then they should code it to remove the songs already played from the list of random choices.

Not to pick too much of a nit but...then it wouldn't be random. As a matter of fact, goofy as
it sounds, it it picked randomly, and it played the same song 20 times in a row, it would still
be random.

"JR" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>> > No, that is how "random" works unfortunately. If you have a list of 12 songs, the chance of
>> > hearing one you've already heard is about 90% after 7 songs, and about 25% after 3 songs. So
>> > quite often, you'd get a repeat after just 3 songs.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>>
>> Then they should code it to remove the songs already played from the list of random choices.
>
> Not to pick too much of a nit but...then it wouldn't be random. As a matter of fact, goofy as
> it sounds, it it picked randomly, and it played the same song 20 times in a row, it would still
> be random.

Yes, it would be random.However, most people would want to avoid this remote possibility. Therefore
taking the last played song out of the selection pool would eliminate that possibility.

Phil

--
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." -Kierkegard

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, run_now wrote:
> >> ihave a creative lab nomad with 128 mb + a 128 mb card which gives me about 3 hours of good
> >> stereo sound. only complaint is that its RANDOM function isn't random enough ( i might hear the
> >> same song twice or 3 times in an hour, whine...)
> >
> > No, that is how "random" works unfortunately. If you have a list of 12 songs, the chance of
> > hearing one you've already heard is about 90% after 7 songs, and about 25% after 3 songs. So
> > quite often, you'd get a repeat after just 3 songs.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Then they should code it to remove the songs already played from the list of random choices.
>
> -Phil

I have a Memorex MMP8500 mp3 player that has a random mode which plays all of the songs on the
player and then stops or repeats.

Jenn

Dave King wrote:

> I am very interested in getting an mp3 player to use while
> running. Can anyone recommend one? I am immediately drawn
> to the small mp3 players, like Nike has put out, but if
> the larger players that play CDs with mp3 files on them
> are good quality (no skipping) I would consider them too.

Nike psa[max not good. No radio, clunky software, annoying
problems with drivers, just say no (kinda like Just Do It).

Love my Rio Cali. Lite. Long battery. Great sound. Tons of
RAM and upgradable. Good software. And FM radio nice for
variety. Good screen. -- Josh