mp3 players

Doobrie

Guest
im thinking of getting an mp3 player for whilst im out on the bike or walking, running, etc ...

can anyone recommend one?

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> im thinking of getting an mp3 player for whilst im out on the bike or walking, running, etc ...
>
> can anyone recommend one?

I got a cheapy one from ebuyer.co.uk http://tinyurl.com/d1kw

Get 128mb memory as well, and you've got a reasonably decent machine.

Probably worth getting a rechargeable battery set too.

Don't know about other people - but I faced this decision about a year ago and ended up buying a
Sony net MD minidisc player. I was worried about "jog", but even when riding on a mountain bike on
very bumpy surfaces, the music doesn't skip. I would also be *very* careful about the safety aspects
of listening to music while cycling (I presume this is what you want an mp3 player for). Anyone else
got thoughts on music while cycling. I know some people who keep both ears plugged in and the volume
up, and some who refuse to stick anything in their ears so they can hear cars. Opinions?

"David Gillbe" <david.NO^&[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know about other people - but I faced this decision about a year ago and ended up buying a
> Sony net MD minidisc player. I was worried about "jog", but even when riding on a mountain bike on
> very bumpy surfaces, the music doesn't skip. I would also be *very* careful about the safety
aspects
> of listening to music while cycling (I presume this is what you want an
mp3
> player for). Anyone else got thoughts on music while cycling. I know some people who keep both
> ears plugged in and the volume up, and some who
refuse
> to stick anything in their ears so they can hear cars. Opinions?

I never listen to it on the road. I like to keep alert for traffic. I put it on as soon as I get to
Richmond Park. Only downside is that I have to keep a good look out behind me for overtaking cycles
(not very often!) ...

In article <[email protected]>, david.NO^& [email protected] says...
> Don't know about other people - but I faced this decision about a year ago and ended up buying a
> Sony net MD minidisc player. I was worried about "jog", but even when riding on a mountain bike on
> very bumpy surfaces, the music doesn't skip. I would also be *very* careful about the safety
> aspects of listening to music while cycling (I presume this is what you want an mp3 player for).
> Anyone else got thoughts on music while cycling. I know some people who keep both ears plugged in
> and the volume up, and some who refuse to stick anything in their ears so they can hear cars.
> Opinions?

im way beyond my loud music days and the one ear or both fairly low would suit me fine ... also i
guess id like it to have radio too

"David Gillbe" <david.NO^&[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know about other people - but I faced this decision about a year ago and ended up buying a
> Sony net MD minidisc player. I was worried about "jog", but even when riding on a mountain bike on
> very bumpy surfaces, the music doesn't skip. I would also be *very* careful about the safety
aspects
> of listening to music while cycling (I presume this is what you want an
mp3
> player for). Anyone else got thoughts on music while cycling. I know some people who keep both
> ears plugged in and the volume up, and some who
refuse
> to stick anything in their ears so they can hear cars. Opinions?

I use an AIWA "joggers" radio. Straps on the arm. I have an earpiece from Maplin that hooks over 1
ear only. Works very well and a good trade-off between quality and safety. I did wire up an
MP3/Handsfree kit for my phone so I could have phone/MP3/radio but I seemed to be constantly
fighting with wires so I like to keep it simple. I also find that I yank the wire out of the radio
very often catching it on my knee or on the bars or whatever so get through headphones at a very
fast rate.

"David Gillbe" <david.NO^&[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know about other people - but I faced this decision about a year ago and ended up buying a
> Sony net MD minidisc player. I was worried about "jog", but even when riding on a mountain bike on
> very bumpy surfaces, the music doesn't skip. I would also be *very* careful about the safety
aspects
> of listening to music while cycling (I presume this is what you want an
mp3
> player for). Anyone else got thoughts on music while cycling. I know some people who keep both
> ears plugged in and the volume up, and some who
refuse
> to stick anything in their ears so they can hear cars. Opinions?

Most of my commute is off road, so listening to the radio is no problem. Even on road, I never rely
on my hearing, I always triple check things visually. Also, I find wind and traffic noise far more
of an audible impediment than quiet speech or music.

I got a diamond rio a few years ago but I found that to play decent quality music you need roughly
1Mb for a minutes worth of play time. This machine came with 32Mb which was no use for my hours
commute along the canal to work. the memory cards are still relatively expensive - my machine is
only upgradeable to a total of 64Mb

I also found that the volume level from 1 battery wasn't good enough.

Despite thinking that the no moving parts solution was ideal I quickly moved on to a Sony MD player
and haven't looked back (As an aside Powerhouse were selling Sony MD's for some £70 last week but
guess what - they've got no in stock !)

I've never suffered from any problems riding over rough ground along the towpath

I have to say I'm a little sceptically about some of the battery run times

Regards

Paul

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > im thinking of getting an mp3 player for whilst im out on the bike or walking, running, etc ...
> >
> > can anyone recommend one?
>
> I got a cheapy one from ebuyer.co.uk http://tinyurl.com/d1kw
>
> Get 128mb memory as well, and you've got a reasonably decent machine.
>
> Probably worth getting a rechargeable battery set too.

My perception is that resonable levels don't impede hearing that car behind
me. But I do tend to exercise caution. I listen at 6:00 in the morning and am on the canal side by
6:15. - ok it gets lonely down there of a dark winters morning and someone talking in my ear
gives me comfort ;-) An hour is along time and I get bored

I don't listen on the way home as that 15 minutes of road time is in the rush hour traffic

> "David Gillbe" <david.NO^&[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Don't know about other people - but I faced this decision about a year
ago
> > and ended up buying a Sony net MD minidisc player. I was worried about "jog", but even when
> > riding on a mountain bike on very bumpy surfaces,
the
> > music doesn't skip. I would also be *very* careful about the safety
> aspects
> > of listening to music while cycling (I presume this is what you want an
> mp3
> > player for). Anyone else got thoughts on music while cycling. I know
some
> > people who keep both ears plugged in and the volume up, and some who
> refuse
> > to stick anything in their ears so they can hear cars. Opinions?
>
> Most of my commute is off road, so listening to the radio is no problem. Even on road, I never
> rely on my hearing, I always triple check things visually. Also, I find wind and traffic noise
> far more of an audible impediment than quiet speech or music.
> --
> Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Apple's iPod is a fantastic device. I have the 5GB version. And it rocks! I don't ude it while
cycling though as I like to keep an ear open for possible bike malfunctions (noise is often a first
indicatio of trouble)

.

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> im thinking of getting an mp3 player for whilst im out on the bike or walking, running, etc ...
>
> can anyone recommend one?

I was facing a similar choice a couple of weeks ago while looking for an MP3 player. Someone
suggested a minidisc player, I was initially quite sceptical, but when I borrowed hers for an hour
or two I was very impressed.

Advantages over MP3 IMHO: Media can be changed, is re-recordable and is cheaper than compact flash,
smartmedia, memory stick.......... Battery life is good Sound quality is v good esp on the higher
quality modes Fairly cheap recorder/players

Disadvantages: Slightly larger than most MP3 players ?

If comparing to apple I-pod, I can't comment on music quality, but size is probably comparible, cost
is probably the major difference. I spent £100 on my recorder, apple i-pod is £200+

On the anti jog, I can get mine to run out of memory, if I leave it in the pocket of my rugby shorts
while running (obviously not playing.....). I imagine that with my bulk pounding it takes quite a
shock. That said it copes with every thing else in the gym, when running i have just held it in my
hand and it is fine. The next step is I have a case that will tie to my shorts, see how we go....

Mark

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> im thinking of getting an mp3 player for whilst im out on the bike or walking, running, etc ...
>
> can anyone recommend one?

As an inveterate music-on-the-bike fan, I've gone through lots of=20 equipment, beginning with
assorted cassette based walkmans.

I have a teeny-weeny MiniDisk unit, and for a while I was heavily into=20 that format, but these
days I use it mainly for surreptitious recording=20 at concerts.

For longer rides I will take my Rio Volt mp3/cd player. This is a very=20 nifty gadget; plays
regular cds or MP3 cds. An MP3 CD holds 3 complete=20 Wagner operas or ten hours of whatever you
want. It also has an FM=20 tuner built in. It has a very large buffer, so there is no skipping=20
problem on a bike. As to high-speed pedestrianism, I couldn't tell you. =

I only run when somebody's chasing me.

My newest toy is a Sony Cli=E9 NZ90 PDA, which is very wonderful indeed. =

Amongst its various features, it is an MP3 player. I've got a 512 mb=20 Compact Flash card for it,
which holds maybe an hour and a half of music =

(in addition to a bunch of games, photographs and books.) Battery life=20 is an issue with this
unit, however, so it is best for shorter rides.

Sheldon "Yes, I'm A Techno-Geek" Brown +--------------------------------+
| Happy Reynolds Day! (5/31) |
+--------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

I see a mini cd mp3 player at maplins for £34.99 thought it was quite a good deal but you need a cd
burner that handles the smaller disk. Should be a smaller imprint for these on the cd tray inside
the normal one.

Ivor Cave

> I see a mini cd mp3 player at maplins for £34.99 thought it was quite a
good deal
> but you need a cd burner that handles the smaller disk. Should be a
smaller imprint for
> these on the cd tray inside the normal one.
>
> Ivor Cave

My cd burner can make disk from the standard to those things that look like credit cards.

Cost me £60 from a computer fair in Stratford about 3 years ago.

Gadget