Mr Angry....An idea!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Just sent the statutory reply to local rag ( Express & Star, West Mids) letters page, following a
    letter from an irate motorist who's somewhat pissed off that, despite a fortune being spent on
    relabelling paths as cycle paths, cyclists still insist on using the dual carriageway, apparently
    oblivious to the dangers they are placing themselves in. I started with the rights of way / under
    licence statement, then followed with the need to educate motorists. I then went on with the
    congestion / obesity points and the pros and cons of cycle paths. I finished with the assumption
    that the original letter writer would be well annoyed at cyclists cycling on the pavement, despite
    his wish that they should use paths, rather than the road.

    My wife (the intelligent one!), said that I should put together a 'Mr Angry' letter that contained
    all the salient points that need to be made when responding to anti-cyclist letters in the local
    press. This could then be customised for each response by cut&pasting the relevant point to the top
    of the letter. Does anyone care to take this on ?... a letter that covers all points succinctly and
    intelligently, that can be used repeatedly, as required, to educate non-cyclists....A letter that
    can be agreed upon by all of us, that can be distributed to all ng users (and others, of course) and
    used as needed. It's time to get the message across!! Cheers, Dave.

    Tags:

  2. Anton Gibbs

    Anton Gibbs Guest

    Why don't you use the cycle-way ?

    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Just sent the statutory reply to local rag ( Express & Star, West Mids) letters page, following a
    > letter from an irate motorist who's somewhat pissed off that, despite a fortune being spent on
    > relabelling paths as
    cycle
    > paths, cyclists still insist on using the dual carriageway, apparently oblivious to the dangers
    > they are placing themselves in. I started with the rights of way / under licence statement, then
    > followed with the need to educate motorists. I then went on with the congestion / obesity points
    > and the pros and cons of cycle paths. I finished with the assumption that the original letter
    > writer would be well annoyed at
    cyclists
    > cycling on the pavement, despite his wish that they should use paths,
    rather
    > than the road.
    >
    > My wife (the intelligent one!), said that I should put together a 'Mr
    Angry'
    > letter that contained all the salient points that need to be made when responding to anti-cyclist
    > letters in the local press. This could then be customised for each response by cut&pasting the
    > relevant point to the top
    of
    > the letter. Does anyone care to take this on ?... a letter that covers all points succinctly and
    > intelligently, that can be used repeatedly, as required, to educate non-cyclists....A letter that
    > can be agreed upon by all of us,
    that
    > can be distributed to all ng users (and others, of course) and used as needed. It's time to get
    > the message across!! Cheers, Dave.

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Anton Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why don't you use the cycle-way ?
    >
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > Just sent the statutory reply to local rag ( Express & Star, West Mids) letters page, following
    > > a letter from an irate motorist who's somewhat pissed off that, despite a fortune being spent on
    > > relabelling paths as
    > cycle
    > > paths, cyclists still insist on using the dual carriageway, apparently oblivious to the dangers
    > > they are placing themselves in. I started with the rights of way / under licence statement, then
    followed
    > > with the need to educate motorists. I then went on with the congestion / obesity points and the
    > > pros and cons of cycle paths. I finished with the assumption that the original letter writer
    > > would be well annoyed at
    > cyclists
    > > cycling on the pavement, despite his wish that they should use paths,
    > rather
    > > than the road.
    > >
    > > My wife (the intelligent one!), said that I should put together a 'Mr
    > Angry'
    > > letter that contained all the salient points that need to be made when responding to
    > > anti-cyclist letters in the local press. This could then
    be
    > > customised for each response by cut&pasting the relevant point to the
    top
    > of
    > > the letter. Does anyone care to take this on ?... a letter that covers all points succinctly and
    > > intelligently, that can be used repeatedly, as required,
    > > educate non-cyclists....A letter that can be agreed upon by all of us,
    > that
    > > can be distributed to all ng users (and others, of course) and used as needed. It's time to get
    > > the message across!! Cheers, Dave.

    Who said I don't use cycle paths ?

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "Anton Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why don't you use the cycle-way ?

    Because its far more dangerous than the road and usually much less convenient (lots of stops at side
    roads etc)

    Tony

    --
    "We haven't failed. We now know a thousand things that won't work, so we are much closer to finding
    what will." Thomas Edison

  5. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:27:02 +0100, "Anton Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why don't you use the cycle-way ?

    In the case of the ones around Wolverhampton its usually because of an aversion to: Signposts in the
    way, broken glass, parked cars, frequent stops for minor roads and worse of all - dangerous exits
    back to the road at the end of them.

    Richard Webb

  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A letter that can be agreed upon by all of us,

    No chance!

    We can't even agree what bike to ride!

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:27:02 +0100, "Anton Gibbs" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Why don't you use the cycle-way ?
    > >

    > In the case of the ones around Wolverhampton its usually because of an aversion to: Signposts in
    > the way, broken glass, parked cars, frequent stops for minor roads and worse of all - dangerous
    > exits back to the road at the end of them.
    >
    > Richard Webb

    Spot on!...But I will use them if I know them to be relatively clear, usually the shared bus/cycle
    lanes and they are convenient to my A-B trip. I am not an idiot and will make use of anything that
    makes me feel less intimidated. However, I will not be bullied off the roads, where I have a legal
    right to be, by other inconsiderate road users who consider me to be a minor irritation. After all,
    my efforts are helping the environment, my future wellbeing, thus alleviating the burden on the NHS
    and general wear and tear on the roads. Their efforts are contributing to the negative of all of the
    above.....and that's just for starters ;-) Cheers, Dave.
    ps - Take it you're a fellow Wulfrunian then Richard ?

  8. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Dave,

    When I read your email I thought it would have had a hundred responces. This is a cracking idea,
    great initative. I suggest you produce it and send it to us for review, there'll be a million
    comments of course, but you round it as you see fit, you have a sensible head on your shoulders and
    a good feel for the group. It will then be used by most people who agreed.

    Great proative work, rather than the normal worthless rant!

    Dave for President!

    T "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1fz0dbz.15wjfea89ypttN%[email protected]...
    > Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > A letter that can be agreed upon by all of us,
    >
    > No chance!
    >
    > We can't even agree what bike to ride!
    >

    > --
    > Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all
    > types. http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  9. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Tim <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dave,
    >
    > When I read your email I thought it would have had a hundred responces. This is a cracking idea,
    > great initative. I suggest you produce it and send it to us for review, there'll be a million
    > comments of course, but you round it as you see fit, you have a sensible head on your shoulders
    > and a good feel for the group. It will then be used by most people who agreed.
    >
    > Great proative work, rather than the normal worthless rant!
    >
    > Dave for President!
    >
    > T "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1fz0dbz.15wjfea89ypttN%[email protected]...
    > > Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > A letter that can be agreed upon by all of us,
    > >
    > > No chance!
    > >
    > > We can't even agree what bike to ride!

    I'm not Dave.
    --

  10. marc wrote:

    >>>No chance!
    >>>
    >>>We can't even agree what bike to ride!
    >>>

    > I'm not Dave.

    Can we all agree that Marc's not Dave and stick that in the letter?

    Who wants to tackle the section on helmets?

  11. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Sorry Marc, but you'll be who you are told to be, now back to work Dave.

    Trigger

    "Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > I'm not Dave.
    >
    > Can we all agree that Marc's not Dave and stick that in the letter?
    >
    > Who wants to tackle the section on helmets?

  12. Daniel Wilcox tried to scribble ...

    >> I'm not Dave.
    >
    > Can we all agree that Marc's not Dave and stick that in the letter?

    Neither is marc .. ;)

    > Who wants to tackle the section on helmets?

    I like 'em .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  13. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Tim <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry Marc, but you'll be who you are told to be, now back to work Dave.
    >
    > Trigger

    > > > I'm not Dave.
    > >
    > > Can we all agree that Marc's not Dave and stick that in the letter?
    > >
    > > Who wants to tackle the section on helmets?

    Who said that? Or even what? That's the problem with top posting...
    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > > > I'm not Dave.
    > >
    > > Can we all agree that Marc's not Dave and stick that in the letter?
    > >
    > > Who wants to tackle the section on helmets?
    > >

    > "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry Marc, but you'll be who you are told to be, now back to work Dave.
    >
    > Trigger

    I'm on it....who's this alter-ego Tim / Trigger, Tommy ?...unless of course it's Trotter Trading Co.
    related.... ;-). Just as soon as I've got the 'bent looking like something with a deckchair with two
    wheels, handlebars and a horizontal seating position, I'll commence. Hints as to what should /
    shouldn't be included please folks. I know it's a challenge, but you never know...it might produce
    something useful ;-) Dave (not Marc or marc....)