MR16 bulbs

David Martin

Guest
Took the MTB out the other night through the less than dry weather. I
decided to up the ante and added the lights from the being rebuilt road bike
as well. This gave me 10+5W and 2.4/10W, or a maximum of 25W on the front.

The road bike lights are the KnightLight ones that were on cheap at EBC
during the FEHPC.

observations: the blue reflectors ont eh knightlights are **** compared to
silver. Maybe it is just me but I find it much harder to see by these blue
lights than my other lights

questions:
Is it normal to get condensation inside these bulbs. AFAICT they are a
sealed unit so teh condensation that appeared is Definitely Wrong (tm).

Where can one get MR16 6V bulbs?

Many thanks

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Took the MTB out the other night through the less than dry weather. I
> decided to up the ante and added the lights from the being rebuilt
> road bike as well. This gave me 10+5W and 2.4/10W, or a maximum of
> 25W on the front.
>
> The road bike lights are the KnightLight ones that were on cheap at
> EBC during the FEHPC.
>
> observations: the blue reflectors ont eh knightlights are ****
> compared to silver. Maybe it is just me but I find it much harder to
> see by these blue lights than my other lights
>
> questions:
> Is it normal to get condensation inside these bulbs. AFAICT they are a
> sealed unit so teh condensation that appeared is Definitely Wrong
> (tm).

I have had condensation in my Cateye lamps after they';ve been turned off
after a ride. They're not sealed properly, just have a lense glued on to
stop you touchign the halogen bulb.

> Where can one get MR16 6V bulbs?

I don't know, but when I blow the bulb in my Cateye (I think it's an MR16
too), I'm going to try a lightbulb place rather than the bike shops, as they
all seem to want a tenner a time. A mate's parents have a such a company,
but also have a minimum order price of £25, so they're not likely to be much
help.

David Martin wrote:

> Where can one get MR16 6V bulbs?

DIY store?

~PB

On 7/10/04 11:55 pm, in article [email protected], "Pete Biggs"
<pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>
>> Where can one get MR16 6V bulbs?

> DIY store?

The local B&Q only do 12V, 24V or 240V ones..

...d

In article <BD8C03C3.2302E%[email protected]>, David Martin wrote:
>On 7/10/04 11:55 pm, in article [email protected], "Pete Biggs"
><pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
>
>> David Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Where can one get MR16 6V bulbs?

>> DIY store?

>The local B&Q only do 12V, 24V or 240V ones..

Wait till Christmas, they sometimes have 6V ones in for fibre optic
trees and similar stuff. They sometimes have them very cheaply indeed
if you wait till just after Christmas, and sometimes don't have any
left by then.

David Martin wrote:
>>> Where can one get MR16 6V bulbs?

>> DIY store?

> The local B&Q only do 12V, 24V or 240V ones..

November's Cycling Plus mag got a "6V Dichronic bulb" for their home build
project, but they don't say if it was a MR16, MR11 or something else.

Maplin's do some 6V MR11s. Are they a different size?

- - - - - -
I'm getting excited about Lumicycle halogen systems now. I've made up my
mind to get one. Just got to save up a few more pennies :-( Mean time, I
can wonder whether to get 5W + 20W spots or 5W + 12W, or some other combo
or just a single lamp. Spoilt for choice!

~PB

in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
('pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc') wrote:

>>> DIY store?

>> The local B&Q only do 12V, 24V or 240V ones..

> November's Cycling Plus mag got a "6V Dichronic bulb" for their home
> build project, but they don't say if it was a MR16, MR11 or something
> else.
>
> Maplin's do some 6V MR11s. Are they a different size?
>
> - - - - - -
> I'm getting excited about Lumicycle halogen systems now. I've made up
> my
> mind to get one. Just got to save up a few more pennies :-( Mean
> time, I can wonder whether to get 5W + 20W spots or 5W + 12W, or some
> other combo or just a single lamp. Spoilt for choice!

OK, some words of caution. I have Lumicycle halogens. They're good, the
company is nice to do business with, but they aren't without faults and
in my opinion one of these faults is serious.

Specifically, the plugs on the ends of the cable just push fit into the
lamp holders. Furthermore, you have to unplug to charge (which isn't in
itself a disadvantage, read on) so the plug gets pushed in and pulled
out quite frequently. On a bumpy ride the plugs pull out very easily,
leaving you suddenly in the dark. This means that you cannot ride
safely with only one of the lights on, and you _must_ _stop_ when the
first one fails (I speak from bitter experience).

Juliette has Fireball All Terrain lights
<URL:http://www.fireballlights.co.uk/>. In my opinion they're better
than the Lumicycles. The cables attach with a bayonet clip action which
means they can't fall out. The lampholders and in particular the
battery holder are very much better made. And the clips which hold the
lampholders onto your handlebars are better too. However, you have to
take the battery out of the holder to recharge it, which is slightly
more faff.

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

Pete Biggs <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Maplin's do some 6V MR11s. Are they a different size?

A quick google shows mr16 are 51 dia x 44.5 front-to-back, and mr11 are 35 x
35, beam angle is another variable.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> OK, some words of caution. I have Lumicycle halogens. They're good,
> the company is nice to do business with, but they aren't without
> faults and in my opinion one of these faults is serious.
>
> Specifically, the plugs on the ends of the cable just push fit into
> the lamp holders. Furthermore, you have to unplug to charge (which
> isn't in itself a disadvantage, read on) so the plug gets pushed in
> and pulled out quite frequently. On a bumpy ride the plugs pull out
> very easily, leaving you suddenly in the dark. This means that you
> cannot ride safely with only one of the lights on, and you _must_
> _stop_ when the first one fails (I speak from bitter experience).

Thanks for the warning. I'm sure I could eventually think of a way to
make the connections more reliable so that one problem is not enough to
put me off. An alternative system would have to be equal or better in all
other aspects (on balance) to persuade me.
(This would be for road riding, although some of the roads will be
flippin' bumpy in places).

> Juliette has Fireball All Terrain lights
> <URL:http://www.fireballlights.co.uk/>. In my opinion they're better
> than the Lumicycles. The cables attach with a bayonet clip action
> which means they can't fall out. The lampholders and in particular the
> battery holder are very much better made. And the clips which hold the
> lampholders onto your handlebars are better too. However, you have to
> take the battery out of the holder to recharge it, which is slightly
> more faff.

Immediately I notice they're more expensive (even accounting for the smart
charger), maybe beyond my budget, and I think I'd prefer a minimal bag to
a bottle battery, and overall system weight is a factor. I wouldn't want
the seat pack because I already have a (better & bigger) under-saddle bag
on one bike I'd be using. Still, I will be studying the details before I
decide. Thanks very much indeed, it does look impressive.

Someone'll be persuading me to get a £300 system next. Don't!!! :)

Anyway, whatever I get, I'm really looking foward to some proper country
lane cycling after dark, at long last, and safer riding in town as well
(re pothole detection).

~PB

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

: out quite frequently. On a bumpy ride the plugs pull out very easily,
: leaving you suddenly in the dark. This means that you cannot ride

An elastic band is the usual solution to this problem.

Arthur

- Paulina Borsook

Do Lumicycle bulbs fit Fireball lamps, and vice versa?

Fireball spare bulbs are cheaper, but they don't have a 5W Spot (the only
5W being a Mid).

~PB

I wrote:
> .......wouldn't want the seat pack........

Perhaps I could remove the battery and put in my own bag. Yes! Oh dear,
I'm persuading myself now.

~PB

in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
('pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc') wrote:

> Do Lumicycle bulbs fit Fireball lamps, and vice versa?
>
> Fireball spare bulbs are cheaper, but they don't have a 5W Spot (the
> only 5W being a Mid).

Pretty confident they do, since we only keep one set of spare bulbs...
Yup, just tried it. They work.

; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
; acquyntit with your Southeron
;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

in message <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : out quite frequently. On a bumpy ride the plugs pull out very
> : easily, leaving you suddenly in the dark. This means that you cannot
> : ride
>
> An elastic band is the usual solution to this problem.

Elastic band doesn't work. I use zip ties which do work, but make the
whole thing pretty awkward when it comes to switching from one bike or
another, and means you have to wheel the whole bike round to your
charger. It's not impossible, but it's more hassle than it needs to be.

... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

> in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
> ('pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc') wrote:

>>> The local B&Q only do 12V, 24V or 240V ones..

>> November's Cycling Plus mag got a "6V Dichronic bulb" for their home
>> build project, but they don't say if it was a MR16, MR11 or something
>> else.
>>
>> Maplin's do some 6V MR11s. Are they a different size?
>>
>> - - - - - -
>> I'm getting excited about Lumicycle halogen systems now. I've made up
>> my
>> mind to get one. Just got to save up a few more pennies :-( Mean
>> time, I can wonder whether to get 5W + 20W spots or 5W + 12W, or some
>> other combo or just a single lamp. Spoilt for choice!

> OK, some words of caution. I have Lumicycle halogens. They're good, the
> company is nice to do business with, but they aren't without faults and
> in my opinion one of these faults is serious.
>
> Specifically, the plugs on the ends of the cable just push fit into the
> lamp holders. Furthermore, you have to unplug to charge (which isn't in
> itself a disadvantage, read on) so the plug gets pushed in and pulled
> out quite frequently. On a bumpy ride the plugs pull out very easily,
> leaving you suddenly in the dark. This means that you cannot ride
> safely with only one of the lights on, and you _must_ _stop_ when the
> first one fails (I speak from bitter experience).

Oh dear - been a known problem with lumis since they came out, most people
just put a rubber band round the base of the light and the cable - a very
light pressure solves the problem completely. If you dont like the rubber
band just use a knife to prize apart the pins inside the female fitting for
a much tighter fit. Not 100% but seems to work very very well even off road
and I've not seen anyone hvae problems after doing this.

Russ

> in message <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> : out quite frequently. On a bumpy ride the plugs pull out very
>> : easily, leaving you suddenly in the dark. This means that you cannot
>> : ride
>>
>> An elastic band is the usual solution to this problem.

> Elastic band doesn't work. I use zip ties which do work, but make the
> whole thing pretty awkward when it comes to switching from one bike or
> another, and means you have to wheel the whole bike round to your
> charger. It's not impossible, but it's more hassle than it needs to be.

Elastic band works fine on the Lumi systems that myself and at least 7 or 8
of my friends use.

Russ

Yes, with rubber bands (from 2.0 -ish inner tubes) I have not suffered
from "pop-out" in years :)

Russ wrote:
> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Specifically, the plugs on the ends of the cable just push fit into
>> the lamp holders. Furthermore, you have to unplug to charge (which
>> isn't in itself a disadvantage, read on) so the plug gets pushed in
>> and pulled out quite frequently. On a bumpy ride the plugs pull out
>> very easily, leaving you suddenly in the dark. This means that you
>> cannot ride
>> safely with only one of the lights on, and you _must_ _stop_ when the
>> first one fails (I speak from bitter experience).

> Oh dear - been a known problem with lumis since they came out, most
> people just put a rubber band round the base of the light and the
> cable - a very light pressure solves the problem completely. If you
> dont like the rubber band just use a knife to prize apart the pins
> inside the female fitting for a much tighter fit. Not 100% but seems
> to work very very well even off road and I've not seen anyone hvae
> problems after doing this.

Thanks Russ, that's good news. Prising or squashing things were the kind
of solutions I had in mind.

~PB

Simon Brooke wrote:

>> Do Lumicycle bulbs fit Fireball lamps, and vice versa?

> Pretty confident they do, since we only keep one set of spare bulbs...
> Yup, just tried it. They work.

Cheers for checking. Good to know the options are open.

~PB

David Martin [email protected] opined the following...
> Where can one get MR16 6V bulbs?

Maplin / RS Components / Farnell (Probably) all significantly cheaper
than buying the £5M gold-leaf jobs that Cateye will try to sell you.
Although I recall someone tellingme once that the Cateye lamps were
undervoltaged so the nominal 6v was actually 5.2v.

Jon