mr16 "spots" best pattern?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Patrick Mitchel, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. Went to the big box retailer looking for a "spot" pattern mr16 to use for a home made light and all
    I found was 50 watts..... OK, I'll get ine just for the first light, then have to hash out where to
    find something of lower wattage after I build the light. The darned thing is nowhere near a spot-
    from a distance of 5', the thing must be 5' wide. Labeled as a "esx"- dunno if that is supposed to
    be a spot or not. Does anyone (in the us or canada) have a favorite brand "spot" ? Was further
    thinking that if the lower wattage (no more than 20 watts) are hard to find, then perhaps I'll buy a
    non front glass mr16, dig out the capsule bulb, and cement a lower wattage in it's place. What would
    be a good -I hope I'm using the correct term- "potting coumpound" to bind the bulb to the reflector.
    Anyone done that? The compound on the one I played with was pretty friable- sort of a hard plaster-
    and the glass didn't seal the back of the capsule to the reflector. I noticed on another tha the
    front lens was one piece (least it looked like it through the package) with the reflector which
    would make the process of replacing the bulb kinda problematic (cept if I had a diamond saw and a
    lot of patience) By the way, a 2 liter soda bottle (in southern california) has a label that is made
    of some kind of heat shrink plastic- I tried to wrap a sub c nicad with the stuff, sealed the seam
    with a film of polyurethane glue and let it dry. I then hit it with the heat gun and the plastic
    took the shape of the battery nicely.

    Pat

    Tags:

  2. Ray Heindl

    Ray Heindl Guest

    "patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Went to the big box retailer looking for a "spot" pattern mr16 to use for a home made light and
    > all I found was 50 watts..... OK, I'll get ine just for the first light, then have to hash out
    > where to find something of lower wattage after I build the light. The darned thing is nowhere near
    > a spot- from a distance of 5', the thing must be 5' wide. Labeled as a "esx"- dunno if that is
    > supposed to be a spot or not. Does anyone (in the us or canada) have a favorite brand "spot" ?

    ESX is supposed to have an 8 to 12 degree beam width, depending on whose specs you believe. The
    width is measured at the point where the intensity is half that at the center of the beam, if my
    memory hasn't completely atrophied, so if you're just looking at the beam in a dark room it will
    probably look wider that it "really" is. Are you sure it's 50 watts? All the places Google found say
    it's 20 watts.

    <http://www.crw.org/CheapLights.htm> mentions using this lamp for a bike light.

    --
    Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

  3. Ray Heindl <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Went to the big box retailer looking for a "spot" pattern mr16 to use for a home made light and
    > > all I found was 50 watts..... OK, I'll get ine just for the first light, then have to hash out
    > > where to find something of lower wattage after I build the light. The darned thing is nowhere
    > > near a spot- from a distance of 5', the thing must be 5' wide. Labeled as a "esx"- dunno if
    > > that is supposed to be a spot or not. Does anyone (in the us or canada) have a favorite brand
    > > "spot" ?
    >
    > ESX is supposed to have an 8 to 12 degree beam width, depending on whose specs you believe. The
    > width is measured at the point where the intensity is half that at the center of the beam, if my
    > memory hasn't completely atrophied, so if you're just looking at the beam in a dark room it will
    > probably look wider that it "really" is. Are you sure it's 50 watts? All the places Google found
    > say it's 20 watts.
    >
    > <http://www.crw.org/CheapLights.htm> mentions using this lamp for a bike light.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)
    Yep - phillips halogen accentline 50 watts - says spot- hmmmm, the small print on the pack states
    "est" not esx shows an order cose of bc50mrc16/sp ext

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ray Heindl <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Went to the big box retailer looking for a "spot"
    pattern mr16 to
    > > > use for a home made light and all I found was 50
    watts..... OK,
    > > > I'll get ine just for the first light, then have to
    hash out where
    > > > to find something of lower wattage after I build the
    light. The
    > > > darned thing is nowhere near a spot- from a distance
    of 5', the
    > > > thing must be 5' wide. Labeled as a "esx"- dunno if
    that is
    > > > supposed to be a spot or not. Does anyone (in the us
    or canada)
    > > > have a favorite brand "spot" ?
    > >
    > > ESX is supposed to have an 8 to 12 degree beam width,
    depending on
    > > whose specs you believe. The width is measured at the
    point where the
    > > intensity is half that at the center of the beam, if my
    memory hasn't
    > > completely atrophied, so if you're just looking at the
    beam in a dark
    > > room it will probably look wider that it "really" is.
    Are you sure
    > > it's 50 watts? All the places Google found say it's 20
    watts.

    > > <http://www.crw.org/CheapLights.htm> mentions using this
    lamp for a
    > > bike light.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)
    > Yep - phillips halogen accentline 50 watts - says spot-
    hmmmm, the small
    > print on the pack states "est" not esx shows an order cose
    of bc50mrc16/sp
    > ext

    For a few dollars more ($20-23), you can buy a lamp from Nightsun with a "known good" beam pattern.

    You may get lucky and find a good one at a hardware store, but there's no guarantee. Not only are
    they not completely standardized, the quality control isn't as good as with a bike light company --
    the beams may be uneven, with annoying dark spots, etc. By your third try, you'll have wiped out any
    savings, making the "overpriced" Nightsun lamp a better value than it may seem.

    Matt O.

  5. Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "patrick mitchel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Ray Heindl <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > pattern mr16 to
    > watts..... OK,
    > hash out where
    > light. The
    > of 5', the
    > that is
    > or canada)
    > > >
    > > > ESX is supposed to have an 8 to 12 degree beam width,
    > depending on
    > > > whose specs you believe. The width is measured at the
    > point where the
    > > > intensity is half that at the center of the beam, if my
    > memory hasn't
    > > > completely atrophied, so if you're just looking at the
    > beam in a dark
    > > > room it will probably look wider that it "really" is.
    > Are you sure
    > > > it's 50 watts? All the places Google found say it's 20
    > watts.
    > > >
    > > > <http://www.crw.org/CheapLights.htm> mentions using this
    > lamp for a
    > > > bike light.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)
    > > Yep - phillips halogen accentline 50 watts - says spot-
    > hmmmm, the small
    > > print on the pack states "est" not esx shows an order cose
    > of bc50mrc16/sp
    > > ext
    >
    > For a few dollars more ($20-23), you can buy a lamp from Nightsun with a "known good" beam
    > pattern.
    >
    > You may get lucky and find a good one at a hardware store, but there's no guarantee. Not only are
    > they not completely standardized, the quality control isn't as good as with a bike light company
    > -- the beams may be uneven, with annoying dark spots, etc. By your third try, you'll have wiped
    > out any savings, making the "overpriced" Nightsun lamp a better value than it may seem.
    >
    > Matt O.
    >
    > I'm starting to get a bit zen about this ...It's sorta the journey not the
    destination thing...or more like it feels much better when you stop beating your head against
    the wall....