MS 150 - Lesson Learned - First Big Ride

BikingRyan

Aug 15, 2005
Hi All -

Just want to say thanks to everyone who provided insight to my preparation for this ride. I thought I would take a moment to let everyone know how it all came together and what I learned. Who knows, it might be useful to someone.

1. After reading a few posted I opted to find a higher quality used bike, then buy something that was in my price range new. I ended up doing well - got a Cannondale Multisport 1000 that fit me well. It ended up coming in cheaper than what I would have spent on a lesser-equipped Trek 1500.

2. The guy I bought the bike from was a Triathalon-er and the seat was rock hard and I determined after a couple rides it wasn’t for me. After reading up on a few posts here, I went with a Selle San Marco Arami seat. Great choice, as I became very close to that seat - I think it was a nice balance of padding and weight.

3. If you are training as a newbie (which I still am) I would recommend splitting your training on smooth and rough roads. I never though coarse road surfaces could make a difference in your ride; they do and will take the energy out of you.

4. Buy clipless pedals and the shoes to match - the platform pedals with the straps are irritating as hell to get your feet into when you start to move from a stop.

5. Although it was recommended, wearing bike short without underwear was not the best call for me. I had substantial pain after the first day because things did not stay in place and it was all remedied by wearing underwear the next day (plus 4 Motrins:D ). Can anyone make any recommendations on pants that do a better job of isolating that area?

6. Riding with a group of people makes the ride more enjoyable - you almost feel as though you have a commitment to stay with them as a member of the team. I found my average speed was higher and the time between stops went faster.

7. Bring an extra tube - I used mine climbing the first bridge - back tire went flat - awesome! I was upset that the tire blew, but almost thankful that I got to take a break climbing the bridge.

8. Wind - damn! I am a runner and never really cared about head wind. The wind while going up the two bridges leading to Ocean City about did me in. Not a fan of wind - even a side wind sucks.

That is all I can think of when it comes to my lessons learned – if anyone has other insights, please add.

I have to say, cyclist are a great group of people. Everyone seemed more than willing to pull over and help someone with a problem as small as a flat. Thanks to all of you who made my first experience a great one.

Cheers!

BikingRyan said:
Hi All -
5. Although it was recommended, wearing bike short without underwear was not the best call for me. I had substantial pain after the first day because things did not stay in place and it was all remedied by wearing underwear the next day (plus 4 Motrins:D ). Can anyone make any recommendations on pants that do a better job of isolating that area?
Cheers!
I really don't want to answer this question:eek: . But tighter shorts maybe..

BikingRyan said:
Buy a good pair of Bib shorts that fit you properly. If the shorts are snug enough they will hold the 'boys' in place and you will not have that problem again. I am a big proponet of bibs. No matter how much you move bib shorts stay in place the whole time.

BikingRyan said:
4. Buy clipless pedals and the shoes to match - the platform pedals with the straps are irritating as hell to get your feet into when you start to move from a stop.Cheers!
Definitely. A few weeks ago, I did my second MS 150 in New Bern, NC. I don't know if anyone else does this, but at the start of the ride when there are so many riders grouped around me, I just clip in on one side so my other foot is free in case I need to stop in a hurry.

BikingRyan said:
6. Riding with a group of people makes the ride more enjoyable - you almost feel as though you have a commitment to stay with them as a member of the team. I found my average speed was higher and the time between stops went faster.[/color]Cheers!
Yeah, when you're riding in a group, you don't seem to notice the distance as much. Just be careful not to get into a group that's riding harder and faster than you're ready for.

BikingRyan said:
8. Wind - damn! I am a runner and never really cared about head wind. The wind while going up the two bridges leading to Ocean City about did me in. Not a fan of wind - even a side wind sucks.Cheers!
WIND BLOWS!!! Hurricane Ophelia was off the coast of NC during this year's MS 150, so we rode through 15-25 MPH winds both days -- and of course, it was ALWAYS a headwind! :( At one point, I got caught out by myself with no other riders around me. The road was as flat as my desk, but the wind was so strong it just about parked my bike.

I just finished my longest MS150 (187 miles) here in North Florida and part of the route was along the ocean. Even though I trained in all kinds of different wind conditions, that ocean breeze still killed me. Great view but I could do with out that again. I too would suggest tighter shorts. I own several pair and it seems like the thightest, thinest, least padded pair I own are the most comfortable on long rides. I also use a Terry saddle with the center cut out and that helps keep the jewels intact.

wineandkeyz said:
Definitely. A few weeks ago, I did my second MS 150 in New Bern, NC. I don't know if anyone else does this, but at the start of the ride when there are so many riders grouped around me, I just clip in on one side so my other foot is free in case I need to stop in a hurry.
That's a great tip. The free foot is also useful for kicking the people who ride 3 abreast at the start so they can chat while the hundreds of other riders are trying to squeeze by without causing an accident. Or maybe that's just here in KC.... :mad: