MS150 rookie looking for tips

AdrianTX

Jan 6, 2007
Hello everyone,

About 2 months ago I got my first rode bike (Trek 1000). I'm having a blast so far. Today I registered for the MS150 (Dallas) in May. What should I expect? Does anyone have an advice? I've gotten the basic information from the website but wanted to here some information from people who have actually participated in the event.

Regards,

Adrian

I've ridden two MS150's here in Eastern NC, the last one a double century. Looking forward to the next one (500+ riders already registered) The route here is flat, the greatest enemy is the wind (if any) as the event is held near the coast. Put in a lot of miles, mainly to get used to being on the bike for 4-5 hours (depending on your riding pace). You'll be in with several hundred other riders so practice riding in a group/pace line and learn the etiquette. You should have SAG stops roughly every 15 miles or so, so stay hydrated and keep snacking (fruit, pb, nuts, etc). If it's anything like the NC event, it is first class all the way. You'll enjoy it.

AdrianTX said:
Hello everyone,

About 2 months ago I got my first rode bike (Trek 1000). I'm having a blast so far. Today I registered for the MS150 (Dallas) in May. What should I expect? Does anyone have an advice? I've gotten the basic information from the website but wanted to here some information from people who have actually participated in the event.

Regards,

Adrian

I have ridden in 3 MS150s in the Atlanta area and I will pass on 4 pieces of advice:

1.) Be aware of the other riders around you. Some are skilled and others aren't. In every one of the three events I have seen accidents which caused injury and could have been avoided. So, don't ride too close to other peoples wheels and keep people a couple of inches off your wheel. Uses your hand signals and your voice to help others know what you are doing. And don't make any random moves.

2.) Eat more than you think you need at the rest areas. I tend to forget to eat enough at the rest areas and this causes me to bonk toward the end of the ride. Gels, powerbars and fruit are the best for me. They provide electrolytes, carbs, protein and vitamins - all important things for you to keep going.

3.) Make sure you have some good shorts and a comfortable saddle. For the entry level rider it is a long ride and if you don’t have good shorts and a comfortable saddle you will realize it after hour 2 leaving you with 2 to 3 more hours to deal with the discomfort – ouch!

4.) Take some time to meet people while you are out there. It is a great event for a great cause and I have met some great people while doing these events. Take time to talk to folks and get to know them. It will make your experience richer.

Oh yeah - be nice to the volunteers and raise lots of money too!

Good luck and enjoy the event.

AdrianTX,
Welcome! And good luck on your MS150 ride. Like strings&gears, I've ridden in the MS150 in eastern NC for the past 3 years. I'll echo some of the advice you've already been given:

1. Get in a lot of saddle time. In addition to building your endurance, it helps get your hindparts ready to be on the bike for an extended period.

2. Practice riding in a group if you can, and keep a watchful eye on the other riders. There will be a lot of experienced riders, as well as a lot of inexperienced ones. In my first MS150, I got caught up in a pileup caused by an inexperienced rider jamming on his brakes in the middle of a pack. I did a classic endo onto the pavement, and I can tell you this: asphalt doesn't have a lot of "give" to it.

3. Practice riding in a paceline, which can help conserve your energy. It's also a nice way to meet people and share the experience (and the workload) with other riders. There's a lot of great information on riding in a paceline at http://www.tarwheels.org/pacelinev92.pdf

4. Since the MS 150 is a two-day event, bring spares of everything if you can. For example, I take two helmets, two pairs of shoes, two pairs of gloves. On my first MS150, it rained for much of the first day. My shoes and gloves were still soaked the following morning, so it was nice to have dry things to wear the second day.

5. Take advantage of the rest stops, but don't stay too long as your muscles will start to tighten up.

6. The road is pretty crowded between the start and the first rest stop and starts to thin out after that. I usually skip the first rest stop to avoid the crowds.

7. Most importantly -- HAVE FUN!!!

Riding in the Key Largo event here in South Florida, first time as well.

What should we take on the bike? Sounds like there will be plenty of food, water and sportsdrink so why bring more than a bottle?

What does SAG do for riders?

I'm planning to ride with a spare tube, patch kit, 2 16-gram cartriges, a slash-liner, multi tool and levers. In my jersey will be a hankerchief and gum. I guess two bottles - one water one sports drink.

In addition to a complete chainge of clothes I'll also send a tire & extra consumables (above) down with SWMBO.

When we get there I'll drink a big chocolate milk or three and enjoy the sights, sounds and food before getting some sleep and riding home the next day.

How's that sound for a game plan? What will I wish I had done?

Mike Jacobs said:
What should we take on the bike? Sounds like there will be plenty of food, water and sportsdrink so why bring more than a bottle?
Different strokes for different folks. From what I've seen, most people carry two water bottles. But a lot just have one. As you said, you can refill them at each rest stop.

Mike Jacobs said:
What does SAG do for riders?
Provide support, as needed. If you need assistance to get to the next rest stop, or just want to bag the ride, they'll load you and your bike up and haul you. Or they'll help out with mechanical issues, whatever...

Mike Jacobs said:
I'm planning to ride with a spare tube, patch kit, 2 16-gram cartriges, a slash-liner, multi tool and levers. In my jersey will be a hankerchief and gum. I guess two bottles - one water one sports drink.

In addition to a complete chainge of clothes I'll also send a tire & extra consumables (above) down with SWMBO.
Sounds pretty complete. I usually carry a cell phone with me, just in case, as well as some carb gels and a Payday bar.

wineandkeyz said:
Different strokes for different folks. ...SNIP...
Good deal, thanks. I rode the Everglades Bike Club's Snowbird Century yesterday and learned a lot. It was just as you described it.

Based on this, for the MS150 I won't be taking any food at all. I'll take 2 bottles, one for water and one for diluted sports drink. I'll bring a couple of allen wrenches but not the multi-tool (heavy).

A couple of other learned "suggestions" I'd add...

The folks I talked to who didn't make a Century (including me, 77 miles before the wind slayed me) all said they started out too fast.

The folks at the back of an unfamiliar line are often also GDI, so don't know the pack, don't keep their line and let gaps develop.

i would echo the thought that it's very important to get practice riding with others. but not just for safety. if you don't know how to ride with others, then you are less likely to be able to or feel comfortable doing so. and let me tell you, riding or not riding with a group can be the difference between having a sucky or fun century. you can gain easily gain 3-5 mph by being in a paceline with 3+ riders.

take this advice as seriously as the other items. make the time to join local rides so that you're comfortable moving through a paceline, keeping a steady pace while at the front, and learning how to safely draft in the middle of a pack. it may sound intimidating but once you do it several times, you'll get the hang of it.

Adrian...you might want to look into joining a team from one of the local bike stores, or bike associations. It takes a lot of the guess work out of the process of this type of ride. Plus it's an easy way to get your pre-event training, and all while developing the skills and saddle time that folks have suggested. Plus, it is the easiest way to make a boatload of cycling friends in your area.

Whatever you decide, good luck and go for it! ;)

Mr. Freeman said:
About how fast are the riders generally expected to ride?
There is not an expected speed for any of this recreational stuff. Some groups might average 24mph. Other people may bop along with friends or family at 14 mph while dragging one of those child trailers behind them.

Mr. Freeman said:
This rookie has a question too:

About how fast are the riders generally expected to ride?

As Bro Deal said, there's no expected speed. At the eastern NC MS 150, they have us line up according to the speeds we expect to ride: 20+ MPH, 15-20 MPH, 10-15 MPH, etc. The fastest group is at the front and is allowed to get out of the starting area before the next group leaves. Some folks ride to see how fast they can finish; others (like me) just try to finish and improve over previous years.

Every year I've been able to hook up with a group riding at a comfortable pace for me.

wineandkeyz said:
As Bro Deal said, there's no expected speed. At the eastern NC MS 150, they have us line up according to the speeds we expect to ride: 20+ MPH, 15-20 MPH, 10-15 MPH, etc. The fastest group is at the front and is allowed to get out of the starting area before the next group leaves. Some folks ride to see how fast they can finish; others (like me) just try to finish and improve over previous years.

Every year I've been able to hook up with a group riding at a comfortable pace for me.
okay, thanks!

Mike Jacobs said:
The folks I talked to who didn't make a Century (including me, 77 miles before the wind slayed me) all said they started out too fast.

Excellent point. I've found that an HRM can help you set and maintain a pace.

wineandkeyz said:
Excellent point. I've found that an HRM can help you set and maintain a pace.
If I purchased a HRM before the MS-150 here in a couple of weeks, how would I use it to help maintain my pace? I've seen references to the calc for my max heart rate based on age, but how should I select a target HR to set and maintain a sustainable pace for a two-day 150 mile event?

Mike Jacobs said:
If I purchased a HRM before the MS-150 here in a couple of weeks, how would I use it to help maintain my pace? I've seen references to the calc for my max heart rate based on age, but how should I select a target HR to set and maintain a sustainable pace for a two-day 150 mile event?

I had an advantage in that I had cardio testing done at a local fitness center. They gave me different heartrate ranges (yellow, blue, and red) to work out in for different purposes. For something like the MS150, I just try to avoid going into the red...

But even if you don't have access to something like that, I think most HRMs include instructions for determining your recommended ranges. At a minimum, you can go by age, but I think the Polar HRMs include instructions for testing yourself and determining the different limits. Once you've figured out the upper limit of the range, you can set the alarm on the HRM to nag you if you go over... The alarm can be a nuisance, though, so I usually just try to keep an eye on the HRM.