MSRP for DA electronic

Dec 30, 2007
Just received the MSRP for DA electronic

shifters, front derailleur, rear derailleur, battery pack, harness-$3999

Peter@vecchios said:
Just received the MSRP for DA electronic

shifters, front derailleur, rear derailleur, battery pack, harness-$3999
Bwaa haa ha ha. This is great. It's going to be a lot easier to spot tools.

A shifter that uses a rechargeable battery is the coolest invention ever. Even before seeing any Shimano ads, I can just imagine how much faster I'll shift, and how much stronger I'll ride without the energy-wasting need to flick levers manually. And at only $3999, what self-respecting rider can afford to go without one?

Wow! Sounds to good to be true! I'll call you with my credit card number so I can get on the delivery list...

And do you have them available? Not that I would buy them (too expensive for my budget) but I'm curious about your opinion. Do they look well built? And what about reliability, do you think they will be reliable as the regular mechanical systems? Just asking for your opinion or review about those.
I would rather trust the mechanical ones (batteries would never run dry) but that's just me!

Thats just the introduction price...it will come down. But even at half the price it is expensive considering there is no crank cassette chain or brakes!!

I got to try out the electronic DA at a show last November. Shimano had it mounted to a bike on a trainer, and there was a long line of folks having a look.

The appearance is chunky compared to fully mechanical, but I thought it looked nice enough. It worked quite well with the most memorable feature being how the front derailleur automatically keeps the chain centered in the front cage as the rear is shifted. The front shifting is apparently much more robust against the chain falling off. Also, activating shifts by just lightly pushing a button on the brake levers was sort of neat.

Even so, whatever the price, I still prefer fully mechanical.