mt. bike computers?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Grippedclimer, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. Hi, what is a good wireless mt. biking computer? I bought a 30 dollar one from supergo but the thing
    took a shit after about two weeks (still had good bateries). One thing that sucked about it was
    finding a good position (have disk brakes) on my fork.

    Thanks "And that is what I have always loved about adventure. It forces you to be alive and that is
    something we all want." Royal Robbins

    Tags:

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Grippedclimer) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, what is a good wireless mt. biking computer?

    No such animal. They are all a waste of money.

    > I bought a 30 dollar one from supergo but the thing took a shit after about > two weeks (still had
    > good bateries).

    You get whay you pay for.

    > One thing that sucked about it was finding a good position (have disk > brakes) on my fork.

    Maybe that's because your bicycle was designed to be ridden, not adorned with copious amounts of
    unneccessary electronic doodads.

    JD

  3. JD wrote:

    > Maybe that's because your bicycle was designed to be ridden, not adorned with copious amounts of
    > unneccessary electronic doodads.
    >
    > JD

    Hey, I like "unnecessary electronic doodads" on my bike. I've been thinking about getting wider bars
    to accommodate more of them. Between my night rider, HRM, GPS, and cycling computer there's not much
    room left for my hands.

    EL

    P.S. I'm being serious.

  4. Grippedclimer wrote:

    > Hi, what is a good wireless mt. biking computer? I bought a 30 dollar one from supergo but the
    > thing took a shit after about two weeks (still had good bateries). One thing that sucked about it
    > was finding a good position (have disk brakes) on my fork.
    >
    > Thanks "And that is what I have always loved about adventure. It forces you to be alive and that
    > is something we all want." Royal Robbins

    Why would disc brakes have anything to do with mounting a computer?

    All five of mine, road an mountain, have the pickups mounted at the top of the fork. The magnet is
    right next to a spoke nipple. My favorites are the Cateye Enduro 2.

    Barry

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > JD wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe that's because your bicycle was designed to be ridden, not adorned with copious amounts of
    > > unneccessary electronic doodads.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Hey, I like "unnecessary electronic doodads" on my bike. I've been
    thinking about getting wider bars to accommodate
    > more of them. Between my night rider, HRM, GPS, and cycling computer
    there's not much room left for my hands.

    > EL
    >
    > P.S. I'm being serious.

    Where TF is your mobile phone holder in that list? Geeze, get yer freaking priorities right.....

    Shaun aRe

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > JD wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe that's because your bicycle was designed to be ridden, not adorned with copious amounts of
    > > unneccessary electronic doodads.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Hey, I like "unnecessary electronic doodads" on my bike. I've been
    thinking about getting wider bars to accommodate
    > more of them. Between my night rider, HRM, GPS, and cycling computer
    there's not much room left for my hands.

    > EL
    >
    > P.S. I'm being serious.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.html?SKU=11366&Store=Bike

    Mike

  7. "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Grippedclimer wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi, what is a good wireless mt. biking computer? I bought a 30 dollar one from supergo but the
    > > thing took a shit after about two weeks (still had good bateries). One thing that sucked about
    > > it was finding a good position (have disk brakes) on my fork.
    > >
    > > Thanks "And that is what I have always loved about adventure. It forces you to be alive and that
    > > is something we all want." Royal Robbins
    >

    > Why would disc brakes have anything to do with mounting a computer?

    The attached disk moves the sensor slightly further away from the magnet you attach to the spoke. I
    had a hard time getting communication setup (between sensor and magnet).

    > All five of mine, road an mountain, have the pickups mounted at the top of the fork. The magnet is
    > right next to a spoke nipple. My favorites are the Cateye Enduro 2.
    >
    > Barry

    I will check out that Cateye.

    Cheers,

  8. Michael Esparza wrote:er?

    > The attached disk moves the sensor slightly further away from the magnet you attach to the spoke.
    > I had a hard time getting communication setup (between sensor and magnet).

    Put the sensor sideways, pointing forward, up near the arch. You can then point the sensor in
    as needed to pick up the magnet. If the sensor gets knocked askew by branches, etc... the
    forward motion of the magnet will realign it next time by. This works like a charm on road an
    mountain bikes.

    Lookie here ==> <http://www.bburke.com/AMB-disc-comp.jpg> for one way to do it.

    Barry

  9. B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
    > Michael Esparza wrote:er?
    >
    >>The attached disk moves the sensor slightly further away from the magnet you attach to the spoke.
    >>I had a hard time getting communication setup (between sensor and magnet).
    >>

    > Put the sensor sideways, pointing forward, up near the arch. You can then point the sensor in
    > as needed to pick up the magnet. If the sensor gets knocked askew by branches, etc... the
    > forward motion of the magnet will realign it next time by. This works like a charm on road an
    > mountain bikes.
    >
    > Lookie here ==> <http://www.bburke.com/AMB-disc-comp.jpg> for one way to do it.
    >
    > Barry

    Good call, I know where my sensor is being set up when I finally pull all the pieces of my new
    bike together!

    Jon Bond

  10. One more thing...

    A dab or two of silicone "sealant" or glue will help to keep non-standard installations in place.
    This stuff can be peeled off if necessary, but will not come off accidentally.

    Barry