Mt. Bike Repair Stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie S.

Looking to buy a bike repair stand. Checked out Mt. Bike review. Park stands seem to be the
favorite. The main negative comments seem to be about the clamps not being wide enough for wide
mountain bike tubes and that bikes must be supported by seat post. Seems to me the wide tubes
wouldn't be a good place to clamp bikes to anyways as they might be crushed under any
significant pressure.

Enough said, what I am really looking for is a good mountain/road bike stand that would cost less
than $150. Cheaper would be much better as I mostly want it for minor repairs and cleaning.

"Charlie S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Looking to buy a bike repair stand. Checked out Mt. Bike review. Park stands seem to be the
> favorite. The main negative comments seem to be
about
> the clamps not being wide enough for wide mountain bike tubes and that
bikes
> must be supported by seat post. Seems to me the wide tubes wouldn't be a good place to clamp bikes
> to anyways as they might be crushed under any significant pressure.
>
Use the seat post to clamp to. If it's strong enough to support some of the Clydes that they do,
it'll hold up a bike.

Just be careful, and not leave it hanging too long, or it will warp your wheels. *I'm kidding*

> Enough said, what I am really looking for is a good mountain/road bike
stand
> that would cost less than $150. Cheaper would be much better as I mostly want it for minor repairs
> and cleaning.
>
You can find the Park low end model on ebay for $100.

Check it out. Have had no problems with mine.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=2072&storetype=&estoreid=

news:p[email protected]...
> Looking to buy a bike repair stand. Checked out Mt. Bike review. Park stands seem to be the
> favorite. The main negative comments seem to be
about
> the clamps not being wide enough for wide mountain bike tubes and that
bikes
> must be supported by seat post. Seems to me the wide tubes wouldn't be a good place to clamp bikes
> to anyways as they might be crushed under any significant pressure.
>
> Enough said, what I am really looking for is a good mountain/road bike
stand
> that would cost less than $150. Cheaper would be much better as I mostly want it for minor repairs
> and cleaning.

"Charlie S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> favorite. The main negative comments seem to be about the clamps not being wide enough for wide
> mountain bike tubes and that bikes must be supported by seat post. Seems to me the wide tubes
> wouldn't be a good place to clamp bikes to anyways as they might be crushed under any significant
> pressure.
>
> Enough said, what I am really looking for is a good mountain/road bike stand that would cost less
> than $150. Cheaper would be much better as I mostly want it for minor repairs and cleaning.

Don't skimp, it's a waste of money. Buy right the first time and never buy again. Park or
Wrench Force.

JD

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Charlie S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Looking to buy a bike repair stand. Checked out Mt. Bike review. Park stands seem to be the
> > favorite. The main negative comments seem to be
about
> > the clamps not being wide enough for wide mountain bike tubes and that
bikes
> > must be supported by seat post. Seems to me the wide tubes wouldn't be
a
> > good place to clamp bikes to anyways as they might be crushed under any significant pressure.
> >
> > Enough said, what I am really looking for is a good mountain/road bike
stand
> > that would cost less than $150. Cheaper would be much better as I
mostly
> > want it for minor repairs and cleaning.
>
> Don't skimp, it's a waste of money. Buy right the first time and never buy again. Park or
> Wrench Force.
>
> JD

One thing that I noticed is that my park stand is a lot flexier now than when it was new. I used to
put the bike back in it when not in use. I didn't leave a wheel touching the ground and the extruded
aluminum is kind of more flexy now. It took about 8 months for this to happen. I didn't ride too
much the first winter I had it so the bike sat for about 3 months without use.

I wouldn't store a bike in the stand without a wheel counterbalancing it.

Good Investment. Once you have one, you won't ever believe you got along without it.

GP

"GP-TJ @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
news:0roHb.13069$WQ3.6310@lakeread05...
>
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Charlie S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Looking to buy a bike repair stand. Checked out Mt. Bike review.
Park
> > > stands seem to be the favorite. The main negative comments seem to be
> about
> > > the clamps not being wide enough for wide mountain bike tubes and that
> bikes
> > > must be supported by seat post. Seems to me the wide tubes wouldn't
be
> a
> > > good place to clamp bikes to anyways as they might be crushed under
any
> > > significant pressure.
> > >
> > > Enough said, what I am really looking for is a good mountain/road bike
> stand
> > > that would cost less than $150. Cheaper would be much better as I
> mostly
> > > want it for minor repairs and cleaning.
> >
> > Don't skimp, it's a waste of money. Buy right the first time and never buy again. Park or Wrench
> > Force.
> >
> > JD
>
> One thing that I noticed is that my park stand is a lot flexier now than when it was new. I used
> to put the bike back in it when not in use. I didn't leave a wheel touching the ground and the
> extruded aluminum is kind of more flexy now. It took about 8 months for this to happen. I didn't
> ride too much the first winter I had it so the bike sat for about 3 months without use.
>
> I wouldn't store a bike in the stand without a wheel counterbalancing it.
>
> Good Investment. Once you have one, you won't ever believe you got along without it.
>
> GP
>
Reading your post I get the feeling you recommend getting a stand, but don't really endorse the
model you bought. In retrospect which model might you have bought and which model did you buy? I'd
hate to repeat the same mistake you did. Thanks!

I have a Park stand. I don't know the number but it is a fold up one (PRS-5 I think). It is a good
stand but I thought I would fold it up and put it away. I never do. There is a bag for it but i
never use it. It just stays in my basement. I wouldn't get a folding on again.

news:D[email protected]...
>
> "GP-TJ @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message news:0roHb.13069$WQ3.6310@lakeread05...
> >
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > "Charlie S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > > Looking to buy a bike repair stand. Checked out Mt. Bike review.
> Park
> > > > stands seem to be the favorite. The main negative comments seem to
be
> > about
> > > > the clamps not being wide enough for wide mountain bike tubes and
that
> > bikes
> > > > must be supported by seat post. Seems to me the wide tubes wouldn't
> be
> > a
> > > > good place to clamp bikes to anyways as they might be crushed under
> any
> > > > significant pressure.
> > > >
> > > > Enough said, what I am really looking for is a good mountain/road
bike
> > stand
> > > > that would cost less than $150. Cheaper would be much better as I
> > mostly
> > > > want it for minor repairs and cleaning.
> > >
> > > Don't skimp, it's a waste of money. Buy right the first time and never buy again. Park or
> > > Wrench Force.
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > One thing that I noticed is that my park stand is a lot flexier now than when it was new. I used
> > to put the bike back in it when not in use. I didn't leave a wheel touching the ground and the
> > extruded aluminum is
kind
> > of more flexy now. It took about 8 months for this to happen. I didn't ride too much the first
> > winter I had it so the bike sat for about 3
months
> > without use.
> >
> > I wouldn't store a bike in the stand without a wheel counterbalancing
it.
> >
> > Good Investment. Once you have one, you won't ever believe you got
along
> > without it.
> >
> > GP
> >
> Reading your post I get the feeling you recommend getting a stand, but
don't
> really endorse the model you bought. In retrospect which model might you have bought and which
> model did you buy? I'd hate to repeat the same mistake you did. Thanks!
>

news:D[email protected]...
>
> "GP-TJ @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message news:0roHb.13069$WQ3.6310@lakeread05...

> >
> > One thing that I noticed is that my park stand is a lot flexier now than when it was new. I used
> > to put the bike back in it when not in use. I didn't leave a wheel touching the ground and the
> > extruded aluminum is
kind
> > of more flexy now. It took about 8 months for this to happen. I didn't ride too much the first
> > winter I had it so the bike sat for about 3
months
> > without use.
> >
> > I wouldn't store a bike in the stand without a wheel counterbalancing
it.
> >
> > Good Investment. Once you have one, you won't ever believe you got
along
> > without it.
> >
> > GP
> >
> Reading your post I get the feeling you recommend getting a stand, but
don't
> really endorse the model you bought. In retrospect which model might you have bought and which
> model did you buy? I'd hate to repeat the same mistake you did. Thanks!

I've had Park's "consumer model" (which means cheapest) stand, the PCS-1, for a year - always with a
bike in it. There is no play/flex/bending/etc...I can't imagine 25-35 pounds slowly flexing apart a
repair stand. My "cheap" stand is every bit as reliable and consistent as any I've ever used in any
shop. the only difference is the speed with which I can change the clamp diameter. Are you sure all
your adjusters are still tight? Mine are quick release clamps, sometimes they get loose - but it's
the clamps, not the aluminum stretching or some weird idea.

For the OP - In my experience, anything with a Park or Pedro's name on it is top notch, workstands
included. Don't skimp, it'll just cost you more in the long run.

Chris

GP-TJ
> I have a Park stand. I don't know the number but it is a fold up one (PRS-5 I think). It is a good
> stand but I thought I would fold it up and put it away. I never do. There is a bag for it but i
> never use it. It just stays in my basement. I wouldn't get a folding on again.

I have a Park stand. http://www.parktool.com/tools/PRS_2OS.shtml

I have been super happy with it. I would have no qualms about it losing any sort of structural
integrity over time.

Unfortunately, it's a real bear to transport anywhere. It weighs a little bit too much.

Miles

i just got one of those portable bike stands for christmas. it's called a "quickstand" and is available at performancebike.com

It simply lifts the back wheel off the ground and supports the bike. It's very cool, and is easy to take with you. Next time i need to work on my bike in a hotel room, i don't have to lean it against the wall and use phonebooks to hold the back wheel off the ground.

best 15 bucks i ever spent

"Greg-O" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> i just got one of those portable bike stands for christmas. it's called a "quickstand" and is
> available at performancebike.com
>
> It simply lifts the back wheel off the ground and supports the bike. It's very cool, and is easy
> to take with you. Next time i need to work on my bike in a hotel room, i don't have to lean it
> against the wall and use phonebooks to hold the back wheel off the ground.
>
> best 15 bucks i ever spent
>
>
Greg-O This looks like the route I will take. $15 can't get any cheaper than this. I don't plan to
conduct major repairs on my bikes. Just need something to help me take off a tire, lube the chain
and make minor adjustments. I know my mechanical limits and pay someone to do the technical stuff.
Thanks! Charlie http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=2391
PS Looking at the stand I couldn't tell how high you can get the rear wheel off the ground. Can you
raise it a foot or more? The picture only shows the rear tire off the ground a few inches. Thanks
for your response.

I wonder if this Park Handle holder might also help with this kind of stand? What do you think?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.cfm?SKU=450&Store=Bike

Greg-O wrote:
> i just got one of those portable bike stands for christmas. it's called a "quickstand" and is
> available at performancebike.com
>
> It simply lifts the back wheel off the ground and supports the bike. It's very cool, and is easy
> to take with you. Next time i need to work on my bike in a hotel room, i don't have to lean it
> against the wall and use phonebooks to hold the back wheel off the ground.
>
> best 15 bucks i ever spent

Best $39 I spent was on one of these. It holds the bike about 2 feet off the floor and at a
comfortable work height. It folds up but I never put it away. I store the bike on it against the
garage wall.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=3636
--
Regards, CK (remove clothes to reply)

"Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Greg-O wrote:
> > i just got one of those portable bike stands for christmas. it's called a "quickstand" and is
> > available at performancebike.com
> >
> > It simply lifts the back wheel off the ground and supports the bike. It's very cool, and is easy
> > to take with you. Next time i need to work on my bike in a hotel room, i don't have to lean it
> > against the wall and use phonebooks to hold the back wheel off the ground.
> >
> > best 15 bucks i ever spent
>
> Best $39 I spent was on one of these. It holds the bike about 2 feet off the floor and at a
> comfortable work height. It folds up but I never put it away. I store the bike on it against the
> garage wall.
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=3636
> --
From I see it looks better than the Quickstand option. I have already ordered the Quickstand. May
cancel and order the stand you recommended. Thanks!

Charlie S. wrote:
> "Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> Greg-O wrote:
>>> i just got one of those portable bike stands for christmas. it's called a "quickstand" and is
>>> available at performancebike.com
>>>
>>> It simply lifts the back wheel off the ground and supports the bike. It's very cool, and is easy
>>> to take with you. Next time i need to work on my bike in a hotel room, i don't have to lean it
>>> against the wall and use phonebooks to hold the back wheel off the ground.
>>>
>>> best 15 bucks i ever spent
>>
>> Best $39 I spent was on one of these. It holds the bike about 2 feet off the floor and at a
>> comfortable work height. It folds up but I never put it away. I store the bike on it against the
>> garage wall.
>>
>> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=3636
>> --
> From I see it looks better than the Quickstand option. I have already ordered the Quickstand. May
> cancel and order the stand you recommended. Thanks!

Glad I could help. I have been very happy with the purchase. I used it to rebuild two bikes today
then stowed the better one on it.
--
Regards, CK (remove clothes to reply)

I did cancel the Quickstand order and bought the model you suggested. Unfortunately, once the order
is processed they can't undo the shipping. So, I have to ship the Quickstand back to the company.
Thanks again!

"Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Charlie S. wrote:
> > "Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> >> Greg-O wrote:
> >>> i just got one of those portable bike stands for christmas. it's called a "quickstand" and is
> >>> available at performancebike.com
> >>>
> >>> It simply lifts the back wheel off the ground and supports the bike. It's very cool, and is
> >>> easy to take with you. Next time i need to work on my bike in a hotel room, i don't have to
> >>> lean it against the wall and use phonebooks to hold the back wheel off the ground.
> >>>
> >>> best 15 bucks i ever spent
> >>
> >> Best $39 I spent was on one of these. It holds the bike about 2 feet off the floor and at a
> >> comfortable work height. It folds up but I never put it away. I store the bike on it against
> >> the garage wall.
> >>
> >> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=3636
> >> --
> > From I see it looks better than the Quickstand option. I have already ordered the Quickstand.
> > May cancel and order the stand you recommended. Thanks!
>
> Glad I could help. I have been very happy with the purchase. I used it to rebuild two bikes today
> then stowed the better one on it.
> --
> Regards, CK (remove clothes to reply)

Status
Not open for further replies.