Mt Cootha

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Money_Shot, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Money_Shot

    Money_Shot Guest

    Does anyone from Brisbane have any hints on how to tget fromt he cycle path
    to the mountain road without suffering an overdose of car?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Mar 6, 10:00 pm, "Money_Shot" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does anyone from Brisbane have any hints on how to tget fromt he cycle path
    > to the mountain road without suffering an overdose of car?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I use the Dean Street lights. Technically, you should be a bus, but
    you start with B, so that's OK. Ride on the detector strip and wait
    for the lights to change. Go right across the intersection and go left
    on the shoulder. Swap to the left as you go around the roundabout.
    Cars/trucks coming off the freeway have always slowed down and given
    me right of way. Watch for cars in the slip lane. Then rejoice, as you
    have a long steep grade in front of you!

    On the way back, it's more interesting and this is the best reason for
    the bridge/underpass to be built soon. You have to sweep left towards
    Milton Rd, merging with the traffic, move to the right lane and go
    around the roundabout. It takes quite a spirit of adventure, at peak
    hour. I don't know of a safer alternative, bar the very long way
    around to the north of the cemetary or through it, and through
    Auchenflower.

    Donga

  3. pdamm

    pdamm Guest

    On Mar 6, 10:00 pm, "Money_Shot" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does anyone from Brisbane have any hints on how to tget fromt he cycle path
    > to the mountain road without suffering an overdose of car?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Another way is to go up Birdwood Terrace. In summary you cross under
    Corro Drv near Suncorp Stadium and cross Milton Rd using the foot
    bridge near Suncorp Stadium then Heussler Tce - Haig road - Birdwood
    Terrace to the Mt Cootha loop.

    In more detail - from the bikeway go under Coronation Drive near
    Suncorp Stadium (this is the first tunnel under Corronation Drv as you
    leave the city), take a small bike path to Little Crib Street, turn
    Left onto Little Crib Street, left onto the footpath on Boomerang Rd
    and under the railway line, staying off Milton Road but staying on the
    footpath beside it you go over Milton Road using the walkway to
    Suncorp Stadium. Go anticlockwise around Suncorp Stadium onto
    Castlemaine St and right at the roundabout onto Heussler Tce - up and
    down a nice little warm-up hill - through a set of lights onto Haig
    Road which turns into Birdwood Tce at a right angle up-hill bend in
    the road. Follow Birdwood Tce, dogleg across Fredrick Street to stay
    on Birdwood Tce. Turn right at the T junction with Richer Street then
    next Left onto Birdwood Tce where it joins Stuartholme Rd. Follow
    Birdwood Tce to where it ends at a T junction with Sir Samuel Griffith
    Drive which is the Mt Cootha circuit. Return via the same rout.

    Check it out in a street directory and go for an exploratory ride to
    work out the fine details of getting from the bikeway to Suncorp
    Stadium. That part is twisty and turny and has a few short stretches
    on the footpath but the end result is minimal traffic or medium
    traffic on roads with enough room for you and a car.

    I do it most Saturday mornings - it is a great ride!

    Peter Damm

  4. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    I've used the dean street bus lights too. Otherwise it can take a while to find a big enough gap.

    Coming back I reckon is heaps easier and lots of fun, as you can fly through that sweeper, meaning you are going faster than the cars, and just merge across into the right hand lane. Bonus points for every car you overtake! Just make sure that noone is changing into the left lane from the middle lane, but enough speed makes this less of an issue.

    Adam