Mt Dandy

Jeremy Lunn

Guest
Thought I'd give Mt Dandenong a shot today. Took the Old Coach Rd from Montrose to Kalorama. Was
perhaps a little bit of a premature effort considering that I've only had the bike for a few weeks
and hadn't riden for 6 months before that! Well made it to the top eventually and got to the bottom
in no time. Only thing is that next time I won't ride down the Old Coach Rd on my hybrid since I
doubt I could really get as much speed as the main road.

--
Jeremy Lunn Melbourne, Australia Homepage: http://www.austux.net/ http://www.jabber.org.au/ - the
next generation of Instant Messaging.

l ride old coach rd allot you may be interested in this site find the ride called the 1/20 its the
bitumen road from the basin to Sassafras the time the roadies do it in will make you cry l come down
it about 2 or 3 minutes faster than they go up lol http://www.cycle2max.com/c2m/cycling.nsf click
hill climbs(top left) then 1/20

old coach road is much steeper because its a little higher climb and is much shorter about 2.7kms on
gravel, compared to 6.75kms on the bitumen, that makes the average gradient about 10.5%

In article <[email protected]>, stu wrote:
> l ride old coach rd allot you may be interested in this site find the ride called the 1/20 its the
> bitumen road from the basin to Sassafras

Wantirna - Sassafras Rd?

> the time the roadies do it in will make you cry l come down it about 2 or 3 minutes faster than
> they go up lol http://www.cycle2max.com/c2m/cycling.nsf click hill climbs(top left) then 1/20

Shiat!

> old coach road is much steeper because its a little higher climb and is much shorter about 2.7kms
> on gravel, compared to 6.75kms on the bitumen, that makes the average gradient about 10.5%

Sure we are talking the same old coach road? There are a few roads in the Dandenongs that get that
name. The one I speak of was approx 2.4km and didn't seem all that steep to me, though I was pretty
slow to get up it at my fitness level! It was also only to Kalorama which I get the impression as
being a relatively low part of the mountain.

--
Jeremy Lunn Melbourne, Australia Homepage: http://www.austux.net/ http://www.jabber.org.au/ - the
next generation of Instant Messaging.

>Wantirna - Sassafras Rd?
Its also called Mountain Hwy, but yes that's the road l was talking about, oops

>Sure we are talking the same old coach road? There are a few roads in the
Dandenongs >that get that name. . sure l knew that, l just forgot lol, you even said in your OP
which road you were talking about. You are right l was talking about the old coach road that comes
off the Basin-Olinda Rd and goes to Sassafras.(melways 65 K8)

>The one I speak of was approx 2.4km and didn't seem all that steep to me,
though I was >pretty slow to get up it at my fitness level! According to my map(so they are only
ball park numbers) you climb about 240 meters on your ride, the old coach road l am talk about is
about 280 meters, so not allot more and it is a little longer.

>It was also only to Kalorama which I get the impression as being a relatively low part of
>the mountain
From Kalorama(about 460 meters) to the top is about another 170 meters and roughly the same
distance again

In article <[email protected]>, stu wrote:
>>Wantirna - Sassafras Rd?
> Its also called Mountain Hwy, but yes that's the road l was talking about, oops

Will have to give it a try sometime. What's the traffic like on that road? Perhaps even the Mt
Dandenong Tourist Rd from Montrose would be a little easier although I think it might have a little
too much traffic on it.

> According to my map(so they are only ball park numbers) you climb about 240 meters on your
> ride, the old coach road l am talk about is about 280 meters, so not allot more and it is a
> little longer.

Hmmm so the gradient is about the same!

--
Jeremy Lunn Melbourne, Australia Homepage: http://www.austux.net/ http://www.jabber.org.au/ - the
next generation of Instant Messaging.

Mountain Highway aka the 1 in 20.

Dunno how fast a good roadie would do the climb but the local school ran a fundraiser and I was told
that the winner was a 17yo teenager who averaged 30kmh for the climb!

BTW Jeremy you may find the climb easier if you leave the Kryptonite
D/U lock at home next time!.

Mike

"Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mountain Highway aka the 1 in 20.
>
> Dunno how fast a good roadie would do the climb but the local school ran a fundraiser and I was
> told that the winner was a 17yo teenager who averaged 30kmh for the climb!

Unless the guy is Trent Lowe, junior XC World Champ, than
1. I don't beleive you
2. The kid is a gun, clocking times as good as any pro

cant help much with the traffic l ride it on weekdays, not to much traffic and the road is pretty
wide in most places. old coach road is good because its closed off halfway up.