rec.bicycles.rides archive · Public discussion

Mt. Diablo vs Latigo Cyn

Started by Bob Mercier · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,366 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides archive
Published
26 August 2003
Last activity
27 August 2003
Original author
Bob Mercier
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,366
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Having recently climbed both Mt. Diablo in northern california I was looking for something similar
    within striking distance of west LA. I knew about the Angeles Crest Highway, Mt. Baldy and Big Bear
    but I'd never heard of Latigo Canyon. I'd been over Malibu and Topanga but, besides not being
    particularly bike friendly (fast traffic and narrow/missing shoulders), they're nowhere near the
    scale of Mt. Diablo. I never expected something like Latigo in the Santa Monica mountains. I started
    up about 9:30 last sunday morning. Approximately 4 miles north of Malibu Latigo heads east off of
    Pacific Coast Highway. Almost immediately the road rises, swings left, and the hectic traffic, and
    noise, is left behind. I was concerned about traffic, I'd heard motorcyclists liked the road, but
    there was very little. I saw 2-3 cars and a dozen motorcycles in the 50min it took to climb. Since
    the road is fairly twisty the upbound traffic was fairly slow, even the motorcycles. It felt very
    safe. The climb was pretty nice, the road surface is good and the grade steady. I'd guess around
    5-6% for most of the climb. There is a brief flat at around 3 miles and a downhill section near 7.

    Mt Diablo is a beautiful, unrelenting beast. Since it's a state park and the road dead-ends at the
    summit there was very little motor vehicle traffic. There was quite a bit of shade, especially on
    the lower portion, and there seemed to be fewer switchbacks. Except for a mile or so of flat just
    before half-way the climbing is unrelenting. The top 5 miles are a punishing 7%, capped by a 500'
    wall near 18%. I used a 39-27 for the last bit and barely made it up.

    In terms of rideability, safety and beauty they're both excellent climbs but Mt. Diablo has it all.
    It's more epic, a longer, more consistent climb, scenic, quiet, awesome. I'm glad to have discovered
    Latigo as I live in LA, and anticipate riding it often, but am anticipating, with relish, the
    october climb up Diablo (www.mtdiablochallenge.com).

    Climb on!

  2. "Bob Mercier" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In terms of rideability, safety and beauty they're both excellent climbs but Mt. Diablo has it
    all. It's more epic, a longer, more consistent climb, scenic, quiet, awesome. I'm glad to have
    discovered Latigo as I live in LA, and anticipate riding it often, but am anticipating, with
    relish, the october climb up Diablo (www.mtdiablochallenge.com).

    Climb on!

    Mt Diablo is great, but the last time I went up a few months ago I was cautioned that they now
    ticket cyclists exceeding the 25 mph speed limit on the descent....bummer.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.