Mt Eliza accident this morning

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
Happened to ride past this on the way back home this morning, there is already an article on the Age. WHen I rode past, there was a person lying on the road with a blanket over them and I was really worried, but turns out they were keeping him warm, all 3 are in hospital but will recover.

No cars involved, apparently it was a bike on bike collision, the helicopter was out this morning again, hope they were not watching it instead of watching the ride.

Don't know if they were the "Hell" riders though.

MikeyOz said:
Happened to ride past this on the way back home this morning, there is already an article on the Age. WHen I rode past, there was a person lying on the road with a blanket over them and I was really worried, but turns out they were keeping him warm, all 3 are in hospital but will recover.

Well that makes five cycling-themed articles in todays Age. Unfortunately including this one:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...after-collision/2007/08/04/1185648186290.html

MikeyOz said:
Don't know if they were the "Hell" riders though.
I think the 'Hell' ride needs a new name for this winter, you'll get your HR higher at the local lawn bowls club..:p

Jono L said:
I think the 'Hell' ride needs a new name for this winter, you'll get your HR higher at the local lawn bowls club..:p

Thats what the quotes are for

MikeyOz said:
Happened to ride past this on the way back home this morning, there is already an article on the Age. WHen I rode past, there was a person lying on the road with a blanket over them and I was really worried, but turns out they were keeping him warm, all 3 are in hospital but will recover.

No cars involved, apparently it was a bike on bike collision, the helicopter was out this morning again, hope they were not watching it instead of watching the ride.

Don't know if they were the "Hell" riders though.
It was one of my buddies who went down, hit a branch or similar by the side of the road and the other two guys came down after hitting him. AFAIK Simon was the worst off, and he hasn't broken anything.

SomeGuy said:
It was one of my buddies who went down, hit a branch or similar by the side of the road and the other two guys came down after hitting him. AFAIK Simon was the worst off, and he hasn't broken anything.

There was bit more in the Age today, although it's good to hear they're (mostly) ok. ;)

MikeyOz wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Well that makes five cycling-themed articles in todays Age.
>> Unfortunately including this one:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/yw9hpz

> yep thats the one I was referring to, at least they are all ok.

If these three people had been in cars, would they have been called
irresponsible idiots.

Theo
Having no sympathy for any of them.

On Aug 7, 10:31 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> MikeyOz wrote:
> > cfsmtb Wrote:
> >> Well that makes five cycling-themed articles in todays Age.
> >> Unfortunately including this one:

> >>http://tinyurl.com/yw9hpz

> > yep thats the one I was referring to, at least they are all ok.

> If these three people had been in cars, would they have been called
> irresponsible idiots.
>
> Theo
> Having no sympathy for any of them.

Is it just me or does this happen a lot in Melbourne?

Simon said:
Is it just me or does this happen a lot in Melbourne?

What accidents ?? Compared to where ??

I think Melbourne has the largest cycling population of all major cities in Australia (Correct, No ?)

And in particular on Beach Road of the weekends there is a massive amount of cycling traffic with a HUGE difference in skill level between riders riding in the same bunches.

I am surprised there are not A LOT more.

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 7 Aug 2007 08:31:12 +0800
Theo Bekkers <[email protected]> wrote:
> MikeyOz wrote:
>> cfsmtb Wrote:
>>> Well that makes five cycling-themed articles in todays Age.
>>> Unfortunately including this one:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yw9hpz

>> yep thats the one I was referring to, at least they are all ok.

> If these three people had been in cars, would they have been called
> irresponsible idiots.

Theo, Theo.

This is aus.bicycle, you should know by now that cyclists are never in
the wrong, and car drivers always are.

"Wheelsucking" is not tailgating, and should anyone get in trouble
that way it is a dreadful accident and no one's fault, but should
someone clip and then get hit by a motorised vehicle then it's
entirely the vehicle driver's fault. On the other hand, car drivers
getting close to another vehicle, especially a bicycle, is a sign of
utter incompetence or else murderous intent.

You've been around long enough to know this, really!

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> If these three people had been in cars, would they have been called
>> irresponsible idiots.

> Theo, Theo.
>
> This is aus.bicycle, you should know by now that cyclists are never in
> the wrong, and car drivers always are.
>
> "Wheelsucking" is not tailgating, and should anyone get in trouble
> that way it is a dreadful accident and no one's fault, but should
> someone clip and then get hit by a motorised vehicle then it's
> entirely the vehicle driver's fault. On the other hand, car drivers
> getting close to another vehicle, especially a bicycle, is a sign of
> utter incompetence or else murderous intent.
>
> You've been around long enough to know this, really!

Hehehe, you're good at this.

I was feeling a little ****** at my fellow two-wheelers yesterday because,
when using my local traffic light controlled crosswalk, a cyclist rode
between cars stopped in both lanes, and yelled at an old lady, who was
struggling across the road as quickly as she could, to get out of his way.
How dare she! I think a video of this event should be sent to his
grandmother.

I'm going to be in Melbourne for a couple of weeks for the MotoGP. You
wouldn't be happening that way would you? I'ts a very long time since we had
dinner together.

Cheers
Theo

MikeyOz wrote:

> I think Melbourne has the largest cycling population of all major
> cities in Australia (Correct, No ?)

Is this a gut feel or do you have some figures. e.g. 'between 7% and 8% of
all journeys in Perth are made by bicycle', is an example of years of
documentation and counting bicycles passing specific places. We have day
counts of bicycles entering the City at major entry points, such as the
Narrows Bridge, the Causeway, etc, going back 20 years. When I was riding
into the City there was regularly a person with a notepad and pencil sitting
on a chair at the bottom of Fitzgerald St at 6:30 in the morning.

Weekends don't count, real cyclists ride during the week, not posing round
in circles. :)

> And in particular on Beach Road of the weekends there is a massive
> amount of cycling traffic with a HUGE difference in skill level
> between riders riding in the same bunches.
>
> I am surprised there are not A LOT more.

Maybe they shouldn't ride in bunches then.

Theo

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:48:05 +0800
Theo Bekkers <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm going to be in Melbourne for a couple of weeks for the MotoGP. You
> wouldn't be happening that way would you? I'ts a very long time since we had
> dinner together.

It has been, but no.

People wearing lots of advertising going round in circles (and
occasionally spectacularly failing to continue to go around) is only
fun when you are doing it, not when you are sitting in an Antarctic
gale drinking expensive bad beer and wondering if the queue for the
loo is any shorter now....

Zebee

Theo Bekkers said:
Is this a gut feel or do you have some figures. e.g. 'between 7% and 8% of
all journeys in Perth are made by bicycle', is an example of years of
documentation and counting bicycles passing specific places.

No I just said it to illicit a reaction out of every one not from melbourne to quote me statistics on how their cities are better than melbourne.
I was seeking clarification the reason why I typed (Correct ?) from people more informed on the matter than me, obviously such as yourself because you have been able to quote me a statistic that is extremely accurate and not biased in anyway what so ever.

Theo Bekkers said:
Maybe they shouldn't ride in bunches then.
Theo

If everybody applied that logic to everything we do, no one would do anything at all.

MikeyOz wrote:
> Theo Bekkers Wrote:

>> Maybe they shouldn't ride in bunches then.

> If everybody applied that logic to everything we do, no one would do
> anything at all.

You've lost me there Mikey.

Theo

OK so I'm going to bite...

Theo Bekkers said:
MikeyOz wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Well that makes five cycling-themed articles in todays Age.
>> Unfortunately including this one:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/yw9hpz

> yep thats the one I was referring to, at least they are all ok.

If these three people had been in cars, would they have been called
irresponsible idiots.

Theo
Having no sympathy for any of them.

Right, so a cyclist hits debris in the bike lane because (as I'm sure we've all noticed) no-one seems to bother ever sweeping them, and yet it's the cyclist being the irresponsible idiot? If Simon had been riding anywhere else or with anyone else, I doubt he would have attracted this kind of attention. But no, he's in the 'notorious' (if you believe The Age) hell ride, so it must be his fault.

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:03:25 +1000, SomeGuy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Right, so a cyclist hits debris in the bike lane because (as I'm sure
>we've all noticed) no-one seems to bother ever sweeping them, and yet

Sometimes I think it has to be cycling activists smashing the glass to
get riders out of the bike lanes and into the proper lanes where they
belong. Othewise, its just counter productive.

SomeGuy said:
OK so I'm going to bite...

Right, so a cyclist hits debris in the bike lane because (as I'm sure we've all noticed) no-one seems to bother ever sweeping them, and yet it's the cyclist being the irresponsible idiot? If Simon had been riding anywhere else or with anyone else, I doubt he would have attracted this kind of attention. But no, he's in the 'notorious' (if you believe The Age) hell ride, so it must be his fault.
When I drive I leave enough room between me and the next vehicle so that if he slams the anchors on I've enough room to stop. I do the same thing when I ride.

If I go in to the back of someone then it's a pretty fair bet that it'll be my fault, no one elses.

Aeek said:
Sometimes I think it has to be cycling activists smashing the glass to
get riders out of the bike lanes and into the proper lanes where they
belong. Othewise, its just counter productive.

That's crazy talk. If I knew of nutjobs doing such activities, whatever their good intentions, I'd document the incident/location & call the constabulary.