Mt Graham Ascent

Patrick McNeal said:
What is your favorite way to make the Mt. Graham ascent?
Whatever you do, when you're finished make sure to get thyself to LBT (Large Binocular Telescope) at the top. It is the most amazing optical telescope on the planet, what with its 2 8.4m diameter primary mirrors.

And I will use a hand full of brake on the way down. I can almost walk after I learned the hard way that coming down Kitt Peak requires a hand full break.

Quote: Originally Posted by Patrick McNeal .
And I will use a hand full of brake on the way down. I can almost walk after I learned the hard way that coming down Kitt Peak requires a hand full break.

good idea, smashing descents when roads aren't closed is foolish.

I learned that the hard way. Yes I could have ended up dead if every thing that could have gone wrong did. It was a car that I was swerving away form.

Are you riding just to the end of the pavement on Mt. Graham, or are you going all the way to the top? Have you pedaled up Madera Canyon?

I am thinking about summit.I have not rode that one yet. I was thinking that it is like Kitt Peak. I am in Rita Ranch I have never seen the climb in real life. I have heard about Madeara Canyon I have not climbed that one yet. Life keeps getting in the way of good cycling.

It's a shame you couldn't have been there for the championships today. It was my first time riding it, and I would say that it's similar to Kitt Peak in terms of overall average gradient, but it ebbs a great deal more. Whereas with KP it's 1/3 of a mile at 6% and 2/3 at 3-4%, Graham was 2-3% here... 12% there. I was bombing it toward the finish line at MP 135 at 26 mph at one point. Shortly followed by a 10% ramp. Since it's so much longer than KP, your pacing may have to change as well. Beautiful scenery when I managed to steal a glimpse, and the descent is more technical than KP due to a lot of switchbacks.

It's worth your time if you can ever get out there.

Reactions: Patrick McNeal
A friend did the Mt. Graham hill climb Sunday, and a pic of him after the finish showed he was pretty damned knackered.