MTB: 8/9 Speed shifter w/ 7 sp cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Telford, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Telford

    Telford Guest

    I have a 7 sp cass. on my MTB and grip shifter that I need to replace. And I would like to change to
    a rapid fire type.

    All the shifters I see in the Nashbar catalog are either 8 sp. (Alivio) or 9 sp (deore,
    lx, xt, xtr).

    can I use any of these or do I need to find specifically 7 sp. shifter?

    thank you.

    Tags:

  2. >From: [email protected]

    >All the shifters I see in the Nashbar catalog are either 8 sp. (Alivio) or 9 sp (deore, lx,
    >xt, xtr).
    >
    >can I use any of these or do I need to find specifically 7 sp. shifter?

    8 speed rapid fire shifters will work fine with 7 speed cassette; 9 speed shifters
    (probably) will not.

    George F. Johnson

  3. telfordutd-<< I have a 7 sp cass. on my MTB and grip shifter that I need to replace. And I would
    like to change to a rapid fire type.

    << All the shifters I see in the Nashbar catalog are either 8 sp. (Alivio) or 9 sp (deore,
    lx, xt, xtr).

    Mailorder isn't a bike shop. Quality Bike Parts(a distributor) has quite a few bolt right on rapid
    fire 7s shifters for not much money-Go see a bike shop and ask...

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Telford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 7 sp cass. on my MTB and grip shifter that I need to replace. And I would like to change
    > to a rapid fire type.
    >
    > All the shifters I see in the Nashbar catalog are either 8 sp. (Alivio) or 9 sp (deore, lx,
    > xt, xtr).
    >
    > can I use any of these or do I need to find specifically 7 sp. shifter?

    There are still the Shimano ST-EF-20 for cantilever and ST-EF 28, ST-EF-33 for linear brakes. Not
    expensive and available at any competent LBS which services bicycles.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Telford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a 7 sp cass. on my MTB and grip shifter that I need to replace. And I would like to
    > > change to a rapid fire type.
    > >
    > > All the shifters I see in the Nashbar catalog are either 8 sp. (Alivio) or 9 sp (deore, lx,
    > > xt, xtr).
    > >
    > > can I use any of these or do I need to find specifically 7 sp. shifter?
    >
    > There are still the Shimano ST-EF-20 for cantilever and ST-EF 28, ST-EF-33 for linear brakes. Not
    > expensive and available at any competent LBS which services bicycles.

    ...But there are a few other options: he's replacing the expensive part and keeping the cheap,
    consumable part. Have you considered going for an 8 or 9 speed shifter, and upgrading? You have two
    options if you choose this route:

    -buy a new shifter, cassette, freehub body, and maybe an axle, and convert to 8 or 9 speeds.

    -buy a new shifter and cassette, and convert to what Sheldon Brown calls "8 Of 9 On 7", or using 8
    of 9 speeds from a 9-speed cassette, and placing them on your existing 7-speed freehub body.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#7cassettes

    Neither of these upgrades is trivial, but they both come to mind because the shifter is usually the
    most expensive part of either upgrade, and you're already definitely doing that.

    OTOH, there's nothing wrong with a 7-speed, so don't let my delusions of inadequacy cause you to
    mess with a perfectly good bicycle.

  6. Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > OTOH, there's nothing wrong with a 7-speed, so don't let my delusions of
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > inadequacy cause you to mess with a perfectly good bicycle.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

    That's an awfully sneaky way of complimenting yourself . . .

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Money is a powerful aphrodisiac. But flowers work almost as well. -- Lazarus Long

  7. In article <[email protected]sfu.ca>,
    Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    >
    > > OTOH, there's nothing wrong with a 7-speed, so don't let my delusions of
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > inadequacy cause you to mess with a perfectly good bicycle.
    >
    > That's an awfully sneaky way of complimenting yourself . . .

    Don't you have a thesis to write?

    Heh. I meant my delusions about the inadequacy of his 7v bike, but I'll take the compliment :).

  8. Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > Don't you have a thesis to write?

    Finished, about 1/2 hour ago.

    I still have to defend in two weeks. Then I'll have three days to do (probably a month's worth) of
    revisions.

    Of course, since I'm actually you, you already knew this.