MTB alterations? - or should I buy a tourer?

rubydoob

Dec 23, 2005
I am generally a mountain biker but recently taken to touring a bit. Own a giant ATX (women specific) have changed tyres to roadies which help with speed but finding i get a bad lower back after more than 20 miles.
Would like to do weeklong touring and wonder if anyone could suggest some alterations to the ATX to reduce back pain/make more confortable or am I better buying a tourer? (have a very limited budget!) all suggestions welcome :)

How would a touring bike address your back problems? Wouldn't you be less upright because of the geometry and the drops? Maybe instead first try confirming your fit with your current bike. Perhaps raise the seat to get a longer leg extension? And/or raise the bars? Move the seat forward or back? Perhaps bar ends for more hand positions (I like Cane Creek).

Does your back bother you when you ride a road bike?

rubydoob does not give her age, perhaps a suspension seat post may help. But yes, first check the bike fit. Many MTBs are too long across the top tube to comfortably convert to road bikes, however make nice cross town sprint bikes.

thank you people. I am 32 (or 21 in my head) and have not riden a road bike since i was a teenager! Yes I did wonder about the tourer being a less upright position .. a friend who road races said it would be an idea but im not keen! I bought the giant 6 years ago and had it set up suitably and its a very comfy ride when im in and out of the saddle in the hills so will try the suggested tweeks and see ... i like the idea of a suspension seat post. Thanks.

rubydoobie...

its not jarring that hurts the back over long days, its incorrect bike fit. a suspension post isnt the answer.

good fit is the answer.

the best way to go is to find a frame builder who can fit you and build a frame for touring just to your body nangles and lengths. if you dont want to do thatg, find a good shop that will/can fit you correctly to the proper size touring machine. including adjusting stem, bars, post, saddle, to all your body's angles and lengths.

i rode a 3500 miler this year and good fit is all the difference in fun and hell.

thanks cyclesafe, useful article, am tweeking the MTB today and see how it goes!

Cyclesafe said:
How would a touring bike address your back problems? Wouldn't you be less upright because of the geometry and the drops? Maybe instead first try confirming your fit with your current bike. Perhaps raise the seat to get a longer leg extension? And/or raise the bars? Move the seat forward or back? Perhaps bar ends for more hand positions (I like Cane Creek).

Does your back bother you when you ride a road bike?
I agree about handlebar positon. If the back hurts I bet the bars are way below the saddle. Try this

1) Measure your pubic bone height (PBH), ground to the bone between your legs. Use a ruler to find the bone, this will require some upwards force. Its generally a couple of inches longer than your inside leg measurement. Sorry for the ladies out there as I know inside leg measurements are sort of like dress sizes to men.

2) Subtract 10cm from the PBH and use the result to set the distance between the saddle and the center of the bottom bracket measured paralled to the seat post.

3) Position the handlebars at saddle height. Be carful not to exceed the maximum height of the stem, there will be a mark on it to indicate this. If you carn't get the bars up heigh enough you may have to get a longer stem

great thanks all for you advice, the handle bars were probably the problem, the stem is short so bought a 'zoom heads up A head adjuster' which has raised the handlebar position by about 2 inches! the seat seemed about right once i'd measured properly so have added some bar ends and the whole thing seems very comfy, should think it might handle some short tours! ... problem is i have had a week off but got hit by a chest infection and haven't been able to try it out further than round the block! :(