Mtb and road bike cleats.

Andy Jennings

Nov 3, 2016
As a recreational and fitness cyclist, although I am doing quite a few Km, I am looking at getting a road bike soon, when I lose enough pounds to allow for peddling with the lower torso position and negate the need for massive tire pressures.

Can I get some basic info regards the different cleats for a road bike. I assume the different size peddle and cleat is to spread the load more as the gears are stronger, but I am bound to be missing something even if that is correct.

The main reason I ask, though, is because I like to be able to walk when i take a rest break on longer rides and the MTB shoes allow that. So with the walk bit taken in to consideration is there any *need* to use road pedals and cleats over MTB pedals and cleats?

TIA for any info posted.

Forget about the "gears are stronger" bit. MTB XC racers will work just as hard as road racers. Main difference is that road races tend to be longer in both time and distance than MTB races, which gives more opportunity to develop hot spots and achy feet.
If that's not a problem for you, the benefit from road-specific pedals and cleats is marginal.

Reactions: Andy Jennings
Forget about the "gears are stronger" bit. MTB XC racers will work just as hard as road racers. Main difference is that road races tend to be longer in both time and distance than MTB races, which gives more opportunity to develop hot spots and achy feet.
If that's not a problem for you, the benefit from road-specific pedals and cleats is marginal.
That makes sense, then. So yes spread the load but to prevent friction spots on the foot.

Although I will be going longer in the next few months I doubt I will need to change over to road cleats when I add a road bike to my "Collection".

Cheers.