MTB brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by pilotboat, Dec 15, 2009.

1. pilotboat

pilotboat New Member

Riding alot in New England this year. The ground is snowy and wet. As a result, my V brake pads are wearing out after three rides.

I am thinking of putting disc brakes on the bike ( not sure if the bike can accept them yet). I see that mechanical is much cheaper than hydraulic sets. (Nasbar mechanical set for about $65.00)

Can anyone offer the pros/cons of both types? Are they easy to install?

Thanks Much

Tags:

2. AndiG

AndiG New Member

Both are just as good in my opinion. Check to see if your bike has the fixture for disc brakes first of all, on the forks they are at the bottom with "2 sticky outy things" is best I can describe it. Second of all, you will need new wheel rims if you have been using V-Brakes.

3. 0600661160

0600661160 New Member

I think you still can used your rims..

but you must change your free hub and hub depending your type disk brake that you buy..
    are this six bolt disk brake or a centre lock..
    and also you must check the compatibility of your frame and fork I assume you want installed that disk brake on rear and front...

4. BetterRide

BetterRide New Member

This can end up being a very expensive upgrade, new brakes, new hubs or wheelset, and labor if you are not a good mechanic. It is often cheaper, easier and better to sell the current bike and buy a bike that already has disc brakes on it.

5. bigpedaler

bigpedaler New Member

You can turn this changeover (IF your frame and fork are disc-ready) for less than $200. $95 gets a disc-ready wheelset from JensonUSA, and Pricepoint has Avid BB7 for $39.95 per wheel for the best mechanical discs out there.

6. BetterRide

BetterRide New Member

Wow, that is a great a deal! I second the Avid BB7 brakes, especially with good stiff cable housing.

7. bigpedaler

bigpedaler New Member

Yup, good cables make great brakes even better! I use XTR cables, and the difference is INCREDIBLE!

XTR's go for about $25/set.

8. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

If you're bike and fork are not disc ready... you'd be best off to get a new rig.

I was a 'V' brake hold out for a long time. All my buddies had made the switch to disc
    and I resisted due to the extra weight and complexity. Once I made the switch I kicked myself for waiting for so long.

As far as mechanicals go there's the Avids and then there is everything else. Honestly I'd just get the Avid BB7s skip the 5's or any other cheapo mech. (Nashbar, Hayes, et al.). The 7's have very easy adjustability that's worth the small amount of extra $$$. As previously noted good housing makes all the difference. I used Avid's 'Full Metal Jackets" with mine. The only downside to the Avids are their weight. If you don't race or don't care about weight their a no brainer.

Good hydros will be lighter and offer marginally better performance. But, unless your an experienced wrench you'll have to rely on a capable shop for any bleeding issues.

Good Luck,
    M

9. Tulsa Cycle

Tulsa Cycle New Member

Hydraulic brakes are the best...with out a doubt. To me, worth every penny

10. vspa

vspa Active Member

how about Shimano ? which Shimano model would you guys recommend ?

11. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

Unless you have a local mechanic that has the experience bleeding them (they are a royal PITA)
    I'd stay away from them. I have a buddy that lost a weeks worth of riding which included a race, while his LBS tried to sort them out.

12. vspa

vspa Active Member

are there many differences between Avid's BB5 and BB7 ?

13. 0600661160

0600661160 New Member

only the version changed and little upgrades in The BB7 has an adjustment knob for the inside pad.

14. vspa

vspa Active Member

and how useful is that new feature ?
    (im sorry im completely new on disk brakes)
    i just learnt spring tension can be adjusted too on the BB7 ?

im asking because there is a nice TREK 4-series that comes with the BB5 installed, i wanted to be sure before i make a purchasing decision

15. jackportd

jackportd New Member

Pros: Hyrdo Brakes

Cons: Cable Brakes

Hahahhaa. Nah cables are ok i guess.

I currently have hayes cable on my bike, and they were awesome!!! for like the first week!!! You have to adjust them very regularly to suck the juice out of them.

They are good in the fact that they work in the wet, and you don't replace pads as often etc. But cable actuated discs in my short experience arent nearly as good as hyrdos.

I have heard that if you really do need to get cable discs (if ur on a budget) then avids are the way to go. Also, check out Liquid's. They are pretty good, my mate Jed swears by them ( but he runs the company, hahaha), they are dual actuating like hydros (hayes cables are single actuating) which is a big improvement and they also run on bearings.

16. Taylah

Taylah New Member

HAI

IAM taylah i think yuo do prefer only disc breake because they can easily stopped and balance mantain so you prefer only disc break

17. emrenakipoglu

emrenakipoglu New Member

Firstly you look your rim's hub? it is ready for your disc brake ? If it isn't, you should buy a disc brake hub and then you need a rotor and speed lever.... You shouldn't get a mechenical brake it is so hard in using... And it is unfruitful so you collect your money and then you can find hydrolic brake system ( 65.00 dolar)...

Eventually I wanna say you ıf you want to this you should shimano deore hydrolic system. That's suitable for you i think and it is very productive