MTB Build Advice

Grant Orchard

Sep 8, 2004
Hey guys,

I managed to get my hands on a second hand DS frame for a very good price so I'll be building myself a bike. A few questions for those of you in the know.

1. What order would you suggest buying components in? I'll be buying them as I can afford them so obviously there's a correct order to buy and build the bike.

2. As far a rear suspension goes, what limits the amount of travel it has? Is it the shock itself or is there a limitation in the desigh of the frame itself?

3. Considering the price of a fork, I want to make sure I'm getting the right one first time around. I'll be using the bike for CX, so what amount of travel would you suggest is good? I'm sure everyone has an opinion on which shocks are best, so I'll just stick with travel distance. Also, how much travel SHOULD I have on the rear?

Thanks a lot!

Grant

PS Here's a pic of the frame

Grant Orchard said:
Hey guys,

I managed to get my hands on a second hand DS frame for a very good price so I'll be building myself a bike. A few questions for those of you in the know.

1. What order would you suggest buying components in? I'll be buying them as I can afford them so obviously there's a correct order to buy and build the bike.

2. As far a rear suspension goes, what limits the amount of travel it has? Is it the shock itself or is there a limitation in the desigh of the frame itself?

3. Considering the price of a fork, I want to make sure I'm getting the right one first time around. I'll be using the bike for CX, so what amount of travel would you suggest is good? I'm sure everyone has an opinion on which shocks are best, so I'll just stick with travel distance. Also, how much travel SHOULD I have on the rear?

Thanks a lot!

Grant
Well alot of what you are asking is personal prefrance. I would first work on building up the drive train, get the BB/cranks. Then go for a good wheelset deciding if you want to run disc's or not becuase you will need disc specific hubs. If money is tight I would just run standard V brakes for now. Then build up the front end, fork stem handlebar and all the little things. Ofcourse this is just general ideas to get you going, if you happen across a good deal on a fork then grab it, just keep looking in buy and sell's and grab the good deals as they come. As far as rear suspention the frame and the shock limit the travel, some frames you can put in a larger travel shock although I am not totally sure about your frame you would have to check with the manufacture to see the largest travel shock you could use. Lastly for the fork, you said you were using it for XC so you will want to keep it light and you will not need the capibilities of a large travel double crown. I would put on somthing in the range of 4-5 inches and most likely a single crown. Hope this gives you a little to think about and congratulations on the new frame!