MTB chain question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by no spam for me, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. Hey wrenchey, got a question, my Trek 6700's chain had a link blow out
    yesterday. It's like the pin let the inside of one of the links become
    separated then it opened up. The chain never came apart but this
    immediately stopped my peddling. I don't see anything out of wack with the
    derailleur so I think I am cool there but I want some guidance on the chain.
    Is the consensus to replace it or fix it?

    To give you an idea of my usage, I'm a "total experience " kinda guy and do
    about 1000 miles a year, about 400 on the MTB and the balance on the Road.

    Happy Merry!

    Tags:

  2. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:57:58 GMT, "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hey wrenchey, got a question, my Trek 6700's chain had a link blow out
    >yesterday. It's like the pin let the inside of one of the links become
    >separated then it opened up. The chain never came apart but this
    >immediately stopped my peddling. I don't see anything out of wack with the
    >derailleur so I think I am cool there but I want some guidance on the chain.
    >Is the consensus to replace it or fix it?
    >
    >To give you an idea of my usage, I'm a "total experience " kinda guy and do
    >about 1000 miles a year, about 400 on the MTB and the balance on the Road.

    How old is this chain?

    Say a quick prayer of thanks that A: we weren't incarnated as worms and B: that
    the chain didn't jam in the rear derailleur tearing it off the dropout and
    dragging it into the spokes destroying everything.

    If this is an otherwise recent chain in good shape, I'd just blame misassembly
    and put it back together with a SRAM link. If it's got any wear or hard use on
    it, I'd just replace it.

    Ron

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    [email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey wrenchey, got a question, my Trek 6700's chain had a link blow out
    >yesterday. It's like the pin let the inside of one of the links become
    >separated then it opened up. The chain never came apart but this
    >immediately stopped my peddling. I don't see anything out of wack with the
    >derailleur so I think I am cool there but I want some guidance on the chain.
    >Is the consensus to replace it or fix it?

    Unless you know for certain that the failure was due to a recent
    assembly error, my advice is to replace it. Generally, a chain which
    has been in service for a while will have similar amounts of wear and
    or strain-related damage in many areas; if such a chain has failed
    anywhere, it's likely to be near failure in more spots.

    >To give you an idea of my usage, I'm a "total experience " kinda guy and do
    >about 1000 miles a year, about 400 on the MTB and the balance on the Road.

    Okay, how old is, and how many miles are on, *this* chain?

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  4. OK, got it on the mis-assembled thing..could be...could have been me. I
    left off some detials, it's a Shimano HG53....I am headed to the LBS for a
    HG93.

    PS, Rack, like I said, this chain has about 400 miles on it.

    news:[email protected]