MTB chain question

no spam for me

Guest
Hey wrenchey, got a question, my Trek 6700's chain had a link blow out
yesterday. It's like the pin let the inside of one of the links become
separated then it opened up. The chain never came apart but this
immediately stopped my peddling. I don't see anything out of wack with the
derailleur so I think I am cool there but I want some guidance on the chain.
Is the consensus to replace it or fix it?

To give you an idea of my usage, I'm a "total experience " kinda guy and do
about 1000 miles a year, about 400 on the MTB and the balance on the Road.

Happy Merry!

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:57:58 GMT, "no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]>
wrote:

>Hey wrenchey, got a question, my Trek 6700's chain had a link blow out
>yesterday. It's like the pin let the inside of one of the links become
>separated then it opened up. The chain never came apart but this
>immediately stopped my peddling. I don't see anything out of wack with the
>derailleur so I think I am cool there but I want some guidance on the chain.
>Is the consensus to replace it or fix it?
>
>To give you an idea of my usage, I'm a "total experience " kinda guy and do
>about 1000 miles a year, about 400 on the MTB and the balance on the Road.

How old is this chain?

Say a quick prayer of thanks that A: we weren't incarnated as worms and B: that
the chain didn't jam in the rear derailleur tearing it off the dropout and
dragging it into the spokes destroying everything.

If this is an otherwise recent chain in good shape, I'd just blame misassembly
and put it back together with a SRAM link. If it's got any wear or hard use on
it, I'd just replace it.

Ron

[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey wrenchey, got a question, my Trek 6700's chain had a link blow out
>yesterday. It's like the pin let the inside of one of the links become
>separated then it opened up. The chain never came apart but this
>immediately stopped my peddling. I don't see anything out of wack with the
>derailleur so I think I am cool there but I want some guidance on the chain.
>Is the consensus to replace it or fix it?

Unless you know for certain that the failure was due to a recent
assembly error, my advice is to replace it. Generally, a chain which
has been in service for a while will have similar amounts of wear and
or strain-related damage in many areas; if such a chain has failed
anywhere, it's likely to be near failure in more spots.

>To give you an idea of my usage, I'm a "total experience " kinda guy and do
>about 1000 miles a year, about 400 on the MTB and the balance on the Road.

Okay, how old is, and how many miles are on, *this* chain?

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

OK, got it on the mis-assembled thing..could be...could have been me. I
left off some detials, it's a Shimano HG53....I am headed to the LBS for a
HG93.

PS, Rack, like I said, this chain has about 400 miles on it.