MTB Chain v. BMX Chain

keithyboy

Aug 8, 2009
I'm new to the forum but it looks a mine of useful information so I'll give you a problem that has been bugging me for a while.

I'm in the process of renovating my daughter's old bike for my son. It got banished to the shed and raided for parts because the chainring got bent and I could never get it straight again.

The bike in question is a kid's mountain bike built on a BMX-type frame with a BMX-type one piece crank. However, because it has gears, it has a 3/32" chain not the usual BMX-type 1/8" chain. At the moment it has a GT BMX chain ring that I modified with a grinder so that the chain didn't get stuck on it but what I really need is a BMX-type chainring with about 40 teeth to take a 3/32" chain.

Any ideas where I can get one?

Thanks.

Not necessarily in this order:
Danscomp.com
LBS
eBay

if it has a deraileure there is a chance of the bmx chain not fitting through the deraileure. even if it does fit there is a big chance of the chain getting caught when your son goes to change gears and ripping the deraileure off.

Also try Chain Reaction Cycles.

forgie, the chain isn't the issue, it's a multi-speed chain. The chainring is the issue.