Mtb compared to Road

vitiris

Jul 24, 2003
I recently took part in a 11 mile time trial with my local cc (not a member), the route is fairly undulating with some medium climbs. I was riding my Cannondale Killer V 800 with knobbly tyres (a light hardtail) and I recorded a time of 36:05 which was about 4 mins off what was obviously considered a reasonably good time on a road bike. I have looked everywhere on the net and I can find no discussion or information with regard to the relative avg speed difference between a mtb and racing bike on the road (yes I know there are a lot of variables). Has anyone researched this when they swopped from mtb to road bike? Bottom line is if I shell out on a lightweight road bike how many minutes will I be looking to shave off my time

Thanks for any guidance or URLs
Sean

I haven't researched it as much as I've experienced it, having gone from steady MTB riding to road riding in the last year. Two incidents that occurred this spring:

Took a 25 mile road run with a MTB buddy - he on his C'Dale F400 and street tires, me on my Trek YFoil road bike. He's a stronger MTB rider than I am, but I finished around 3 minutes ahead of him. Climbing was about the same, on the flats I could hold a faster pace, downhill wasn't even close. We werent' really pushing it, but if he could have kept up with me, he would have.

Went riding with a serious road bike fanatic recently, he's been riding 100+ miles a week, for 10 years. We started on MTB's on the singletrack on my farm, and were about even. Then, we hit the road, me on my Foil and he was still on his hardtail MTB with knobbies. I was a little faster until we hit the first long hill, 1.5 miles and 500 foot rise, and he left me standing still. Coming back down was different, but that crazy sucker was hitting over 40mph on knobby tires.

My experience is that the bike made a difference - the road bike can strike a faster pace on the flats, and is quicker downhill, by virtue of lighter wheels, taller wheels, and higher gearing. Plus, the layout of the frame is such that long rides are more comfortable.

But, MTB and road riding stress different physical attributes. A lot of MTB is sprint and coast, as you negotiate a tight singletrack. On the road, it's more a steady pace and endurance. Each stresses your reserves a little differently. Fact is, in both of the situations described above, the better road rider came out ahead, regardless of the bike.

Bottom line: if you want to be competitive in a TT, get a road bike and spend a lot of time on the road. Both are critical.

Thanks JohnO

Have hit 45 mph on my knobblies down a switch back on Dartmoor where I live and I must admit I don't notice the difference (so much) in the climbing (one hell of a lot of hills 'round here) when I go out with a friend on his road bike but I can't stay with him on the downhills and flat regardless how I try (he's freewheeling and I'm pedalling). Glad to know I'm a fanatic! as I cycle 100 - 200 miles a week on/off road over some jolly interesting hills, climbing off-road is a lot harder my HRM has it's own little heart attack. Still looking for something more concrete in terms of comparison though

Cheers
Sean