MTB conversion questions

holoclothes

Apr 25, 2005
I have an old 1980s Diamondback Ascent MTB frame that I want to convert to a fixed-gear bicycle (flip-flop optional). I've got a few crankset/bottom bracket questions since I've never dealt with this part of my bike before. I also just want to use this bike for city cruising and country roads.

So far, the plan is to build a new rear wheel (I know I can just put in a new hub, but I'd like a new wheel), that will be standard 26in MTB with slick tires. As I understand it, what with the 135mm spacing, I need a something like the Phil Wood KISS OFF hub offered on sheldon brown's site. That hub, coupled with a 3/32" fixed sprocket of my choice will yield, ideally, a 52mm chainline right? As a side, can I get away with 50mm?

I also intend to replace the cranks, chainrings, and bottom bracket. What bottom bracket with what crank will get me the 52mm chainline that I need? I do not know the width of my bottom bracket chamber yet and I'll update soon with that info but just assume it is 68mm.

Also... do I need to use a MTB Bottom Bracket with MTB Cranks or can any bottom bracket with any crank that can get me 52mm chainline work?

Thanks a lot if anyone can answer these questions.

holoclothes said:
do I need to use a MTB Bottom Bracket with MTB Cranks or can any bottom bracket with any crank that can get me 52mm chainline work?
With some limitations (Campagnolo/Sugino/SunTour vs. JIS/Shimano, BB shell width, etc.), you CAN use almost any square-taper BB with any square-taper crank ... so, choose the spindle length that works best for your setup.

holoclothes said:
I have an old 1980s Diamondback Ascent MTB frame that I want to convert to a fixed-gear bicycle (flip-flop optional). I've got a few crankset/bottom bracket questions since I've never dealt with this part of my bike before. I also just want to use this bike for city cruising and country roads.

So far, the plan is to build a new rear wheel (I know I can just put in a new hub, but I'd like a new wheel), that will be standard 26in MTB with slick tires. As I understand it, what with the 135mm spacing, I need a something like the Phil Wood KISS OFF hub offered on sheldon brown's site. That hub, coupled with a 3/32" fixed sprocket of my choice will yield, ideally, a 52mm chainline right? As a side, can I get away with 50mm?

I also intend to replace the cranks, chainrings, and bottom bracket. What bottom bracket with what crank will get me the 52mm chainline that I need? I do not know the width of my bottom bracket chamber yet and I'll update soon with that info but just assume it is 68mm.

Also... do I need to use a MTB Bottom Bracket with MTB Cranks or can any bottom bracket with any crank that can get me 52mm chainline work?

Thanks a lot if anyone can answer these questions.

Here ya go: http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml