MTB Converted to commuter

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by danrche, Aug 22, 2011.

1. danrche

danrche New Member

Hey guys,

I've converted my MTB to commuter by changing out the tires to a road friendly tire (26x1.75). I was thinking about getting a road bike as they're faster and look like they take less effort, but I find that I really make use of the forgiving nature of an MTB with the front suspension forks and such. I'm not a terrible rider and don't swerve all over the road, but ridding to work does take me over some area's where the road is less then desirable.

Is there a way to gear my MTB to be like a road bike or is it for the most part the same anyway just different frames and such?

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

for commuting MTB gears are ok, good choice of tires also (26 x 1,75)
    so there you go, maybe add up a rack to carry stuff like books, lunch and locks & replacement tubes & tire levers

3. danrche

danrche New Member

maybe for Christmas I'll see about getting a rack on the back (good suggestion) . I use my bike to ride to work and for fun on the weekends as well. Thanks for the reply vspa.

4. dvnjhn

dvnjhn New Member

I have always found my mtb a slog to commute with. If your serious about commuting you should purchase a cheap hybrid bike. I found it made such a difference. I also own a Road bike, which I hate cycling about the town in. Its easier and faster, but much more easy to crash in difficult weather or under preassure from drivers.

5. ThEdge

ThEdge New Member

If you didn't get the rack for Christmas, I got one which is on a QR, same as a QR seatpost, so when the weekend comes, the rack comes off real quick,ready to hit the trails......

Gearing wise, I guess it depends on how far you commute and the traffic,I commute approx 14miles each way, in places the roads are pretty clear and I can hold 17 -20 mph. Could I go faster with bigger gears? maybe.....