MTB Crankset - further question

Buddy2004

Aug 11, 2004
Following up on an earlier post of mine concerning MIB crankset compatability with different speeds i.e. 7spd, 8spd, 9spd etc.

I have seen cranksets e.g. Shimano Deore advertized as being suitable for 8 or 9spd........this confused me! Replies that I got from my earlier posting stated that (as I thought), its the number of cogs on the rear sprocket that dictates the speed assuming all MTB's are triples)........so why do manufactures say that their chainsets are designed for a certain speed? (I have an older 7spd!).

Thanks for your help

Buddy2004 said:
......so why do manufactures say that their chainsets are designed for a certain speed? (I have an older 7spd!).

Thanks for your help
Alot of it is marketing, and becasue the chainset is part of a biger 7,8 9, or 10 speed group. Believe it or not, an old school 6 speed crank will work with an otherwise 10 speed setup.Find somethng else to worry about.

boudreaux said:
Alot of it is marketing, and becasue the chainset is part of a biger 7,8 9, or 10 speed group. Believe it or not, an old school 6 speed crank will work with an otherwise 10 speed setup.Find somethng else to worry about.
You can even use a single-speed crankset on it.