MTB Frame Sizing Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Triplezzz, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Triplezzz

    Triplezzz Guest

    I have a 2001, size LARGE Gary Fisher Tassajara and am not sure that I got the right size. I'm 5'10"
    in bare feet and have a 32" inseam, which means that my legs are a bit shorter than average for my
    height. The salesdude at my LBS assured me that Large was the size for me because HE had a large and
    he was about a 1/2" shorter. I should have test ridden both medium and large sizes, but trusted the
    salesdude and just rode the large. Maybe the fact that he was eyeing my wife the entire time should
    have warned me that he was not to be trusted!

    When I'm stopped, I'm always a little nervous that I'm gonna stomp my 'nads against the top bar.
    Once I'm pedalling, though, I feel fine. I wonder if anybody else of my height has ridden both the
    large and medium sizes and can comment on whether my bike was mis-sized.

    Tags:

  2. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "triplezzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 2001, size LARGE Gary Fisher Tassajara and am not sure that I got the right size. I'm
    > 5'10" in bare feet and have a 32" inseam, which means that my legs are a bit shorter than average
    > for my height. The salesdude at my LBS assured me that Large was the size for me because HE had a
    > large and he was about a 1/2" shorter. I should have test ridden both medium and large sizes, but
    > trusted the salesdude and just rode the large. Maybe the fact that he was eyeing my wife the
    > entire time should have warned me that he was not to be trusted!
    >
    > When I'm stopped, I'm always a little nervous that I'm gonna stomp my 'nads against the top bar.
    > Once I'm pedalling, though, I feel fine. I wonder if anybody else of my height has ridden both the
    > large and medium sizes and can comment on whether my bike was mis-sized.

    Depends on what kind of riding you do. I'm 5'7" and ride a medium for street, general XC and racing
    XC. I ride a small for any riding that gets some air time.

  3. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    I'm a tad over 6ft and ride a medium GT Avalanche hard tail. I find it ideal for the freaky off road sh1t but a little short on the road

  4. John Morgan wrote:

    > Please excuse my fellow bike shop salesdude. It may be difficult for everyone to relate, but
    > bike shops are not gathering places for beautiful women. I would venture to say that it is very
    > rare indeed to see an attractive female walk into such an establishment... and if one happens to
    > -John Morgan

    You live and work in the wrong town Mr. Morgan. The number of beautiful women that frequent the
    LBSs, trails and roads here in Durango is phenominal, my wife included.

    I was just thinking about this yesterday as I turned a few solo miles in Ewing Mesa, and the only
    other rider I encountered was a beautiful blonde. Had I been a couple of hours later, I may have run
    into my wife and her girlfriend riding the same area, somehow our schedules didn't mesh. I see as
    many women out on the trails and roads here as I do men, very often solo or small groups.

    The only danger to "bike shop salesdudes" here is sore neck muscles from craning their neck wildly
    and often :)

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  5. Triplezzz

    Triplezzz Guest

    "Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (triplezzz) spake thusly on or about Tue, 14 Oct 2003
    > 23:37:29 UTC
    >
    > -> When I'm stopped, I'm always a little nervous that I'm gonna stomp my -> 'nads against the top
    > bar. Once I'm pedalling, though, I feel fine. I -> wonder if anybody else of my height has ridden
    > both the large and -> medium sizes and can comment on whether my bike was mis-sized. ->
    >
    > should be able to lift the bike two inches at least when standing over the top bar. More if you
    > are riding squirrely stuff.

    Thanks for the advice. Seems like the LBS dork sold me the wrong size bike. I suppose I'll have to
    ride harder and more often so I can break it and justify getting a right-size frame. Just goes to
    show you, you can't trust everyone at the bike shop.

  6. Bran

    Bran Guest

    [email protected] (triplezzz) spake thusly on or about Thu, 16 Oct 2003
    02:08:51 UTC

    -> Thanks for the advice. Seems like the LBS dork sold me the wrong size -> bike. I suppose I'll
    have to ride harder and more often so I can break -> it and justify getting a right-size frame. Just
    goes to show you, you -> can't trust everyone at the bike shop. ->

    welllllllll. Gathering needful info before we shop for anything is always advisable. If I had not
    been 6'6", had a good lbs, and checked into proper fit first i might have tried to fit a mountain
    bike like a road bike.

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  7. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > I should have test ridden both medium and large sizes, but trusted the salesdude and just rode the
    > large. Maybe the fact that he was eyeing my wife the entire time should have warned me that he was
    > not to be trusted!

    Please excuse my fellow bike shop salesdude. It may be difficult for everyone to relate, but bike
    shops are not gathering places for beautiful women. I would venture to say that it is very rare
    indeed to see an attractive female walk into such an establishment... and if one happens to do so,
    it is usually by the side of an associated boyfriend or husband. Beautiful women who choose to enter
    a typical bike shop tend to cause a disturbance amongst the staff of the shop... or at least evoke
    some obvious staring and/or drooling, with scattered cases of stalking.

    Please be advised that you are not alone, and what you have experienced at your local bike shop is
    NORMAL. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

    -John Morgan

  8. Bran

    Bran Guest

    [email protected] (triplezzz) spake thusly on or about Tue, 14 Oct 2003
    23:37:29 UTC

    -> When I'm stopped, I'm always a little nervous that I'm gonna stomp my -> 'nads against the top
    bar. Once I'm pedalling, though, I feel fine. I -> wonder if anybody else of my height has ridden
    both the large and -> medium sizes and can comment on whether my bike was mis-sized. ->

    should be able to lift the bike two inches at least when standing over the top bar. More if you are
    riding squirrely stuff.

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    triplezzz wrote:
    > I have a 2001, size LARGE Gary Fisher Tassajara and am not sure that I got the right size. I'm
    > 5'10" in bare feet and have a 32" inseam, which means that my legs are a bit shorter than average
    > for my height.

    Wrong size. I'm 5'9", have a 32" inseam and would usually go for a small or medium, depending on
    manufacturer.

  10. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    [email protected] (triplezzz) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I have a 2001, size LARGE Gary Fisher Tassajara and am not sure that I got the right size. I'm
    > 5'10" in bare feet and have a 32" inseam, which means that my legs are a bit shorter than average
    > for my height. The salesdude at my LBS assured me that Large was the size for me because HE had a
    > large and he was about a 1/2" shorter. I should have test ridden both medium and large sizes, but
    > trusted the salesdude and just rode the large. Maybe the fact that he was eyeing my wife the
    > entire time should have warned me that he was not to be trusted!
    >
    > When I'm stopped, I'm always a little nervous that I'm gonna stomp my 'nads against the top bar.
    > Once I'm pedalling, though, I feel fine. I wonder if anybody else of my height has ridden both the
    > large and medium sizes and can comment on whether my bike was mis-sized.

    Small, medium and large don't really mean anything unless everyone has the exact same bike. I'm
    looking at replacing my Hardrock frame and the weyless Ultra I'm looking at say's it's 18", but
    it seems about the same size as the Hardrock I have which is a 19". My Tomac Revolver Pro is
    supposed to be
    18.5" Medium Large, but it feels quite a bit smaller than the Hardrock. Of course, how you plan on
    riding the bike makes a big difference too. My hardrock is a rgreat commuting bike and is very
    comfotable to ride to work, but it's not that great off road. My Revolver is absolutely awesome
    on the trails, but it's not a great commuter. FWIW, the guy who sold me the HardRock did a great
    job of sizing me up. Made sure I had plenty of clearence over the top tube, held the bike up
    while I sat on it to make sure it fit me right, and spent a lot of time talking about the
    propper way to adjust the seat height and other basic maintinence even though I only had about
    $300 to spend.

    BTW, anyone else out ther own a Tomac Revolver Pro? This has got to be one of the most awesome XC
    bikes ever built! This thing climbs out of the saddle better than my hard tail without any of the
    shocks locked out. It's also lighter than my hardtail. This bike has surpassed all of my
    expectations and I was expecting a lot!

  11. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    >> I should have test ridden both medium and large sizes, but trusted the salesdude and just rode
    >> the large. Maybe the fact that he was eyeing my wife the entire time should have warned me that
    >> he was not to be trusted!
    >
    > Please excuse my fellow bike shop salesdude. It may be difficult for everyone to relate, but bike
    > shops are not gathering places for beautiful women. I would venture to say that it is very rare
    > indeed to see an attractive female walk into such an establishment... and if one happens to do so,
    > it is usually by the side of an associated boyfriend or husband. Beautiful women who choose to
    > enter a typical bike shop tend to cause a disturbance amongst the staff of the shop... or at least
    > evoke some obvious staring and/or drooling, with scattered cases of stalking.
    >
    > Please be advised that you are not alone, and what you have experienced at your local bike shop is
    > NORMAL. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    ah, the ol' "s'cuze me while I covet thy wife" ploy. Apparently it works...alot.

    Dave (we now return you to your reguarly scheduled sleaze...)

  12. Triplezzz

    Triplezzz Guest

    "Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (triplezzz) spake thusly on or about Thu, 16 Oct 2003
    > 02:08:51 UTC
    >
    > -> Thanks for the advice. Seems like the LBS dork sold me the wrong size -> bike. I suppose I'll
    > have to ride harder and more often so I can break -> it and justify getting a right-size frame.
    > Just goes to show you, you -> can't trust everyone at the bike shop. ->
    >
    > welllllllll. Gathering needful info before we shop for anything is always advisable. If I had not
    > been 6'6", had a good lbs, and checked into proper fit first i might have tried to fit a mountain
    > bike like a road bike.

    Well... not to be a smartass, but isn't that what the !$%@#[email protected]# LBS is for? Aren't they supposed to
    know what they're doing? I mean, if they're gonna sell me a bike, why not sell me the right size,
    right? I'm getting more and more convinced that the bike is the wrong size for me, but there are
    worse things - like being that poor sap that messed up the Cubs!

  13. Bran

    Bran Guest

    [email protected] (triplezzz) spake thusly on or about Fri, 17 Oct 2003
    03:12:40 UTC

    -> Well... not to be a smartass, but isn't that what the !$%@#[email protected]# LBS is -> for? Aren't they
    supposed to know what they're doing? I mean, if -> they're gonna sell me a bike, why not sell me the
    right size, right? -> I have watched a buyer insist on a bike that was too big. Should the store
    have kicked him out?

    If yer dangly bits banged against the topbar when you threw you leg over the bike in the shop you
    should have said something.

    --

  14. triplezzz wrote:
    > Well... not to be a smartass, but isn't that what the !$%@#[email protected]# LBS is for? Aren't they supposed
    > to know what they're doing? I mean, if they're gonna sell me a bike, why not sell me the right
    > size, right? I'm getting more and more convinced that the bike is the wrong size for me, but there
    > are worse things - like being that poor sap that messed up the Cubs!

    If the bike still looks fine maybe he'll take it back and trade it in for a medium. That's what a
    LBS is for in my opinion. Keeping customers. What he makes on selling you this bike is nothing
    compared to what he will make from selling you accessories and upgrades to it. If it doesn't fit and
    you don't ride it you won't need any upgrades or accesories. Some LBSs understand this and some
    don't. Of course take you problems to the owner or manager. Not some young kid helping out part time
    on the floor.

    --
    Perre