MTB gearing

Yonni

May 1, 2010
OK first up I confess - I'm a roadie. I am doing a ride in few weeks around Applecross which goes up the Bealach Na Ba in Scotland (see below). A friend did the main climb on the middle ring of his MTB but I've no idea about his gearing. What is a typical middle ring size and what range of rear cassettes do you use? I know this is all very vague. I think his bike is a hardtail and on the cheap side (less that £500). I'm just trying to guage the difficulty as I've never ridden up a constant 10km climb before. Here is the profile:
profile.asp

Most off-the-peg MTBs come with a 42/32/22 chainrings & an 11-32 cassette ... it's really a pretty standard/universal combination.

Some riders will change the Outer & Granny to rings with more teeth.

I'd hate to see what sort of climb you need a 22 x 32 to get up. I thought my 34 x 27 would be enough. Looks like I might be walking that last km

Yonni said:
I'd hate to see what sort of climb you need a 22 x 32 to get up. I thought my 34 x 27 would be enough. Looks like I might be walking that last km

You pedal like mad and fall over!:D:D:D

Yonni said:

No big deal...I have a hardtail set up with a triple 44/32/22 and a 7 cog 11-19 cassette.

Usually I just use it as a single speed at 32/17 but will drop it into the granny for steep climbs.

You should have no problems with your 34/27.

You can play around with gear ratios to see what works best...One tooth on the cassette = 3.5 teeth on the chain ring. You can mix and match.