MTB handlebar length

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by A Yeung, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. A Yeung

    A Yeung Guest

    Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
    them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
    steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
    to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung

    Tags:

  2. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    A Yeung:

    > Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
    > them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
    > steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
    > to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung

    Downhill bars tend to be longer, up to 28".

    You might worry more about what type of handlebar best suits your riding, that is, whether to get a
    riser or a flat bar, how much rise if a riser, and what sweep angle (how much the bars are bent
    towards the rider) is comfortable for you.

    If given length options, it's better to be able to cut a long bar shorter, rather than have a
    short bar which you wish is longer. For cutting bars, buy a pipe cutter from any hardware store
    (about $10).

  3. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
    | them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
    | steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
    | to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung

    What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing
    as "inches".

    Marty

  4. Chuan Chew

    Chuan Chew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:

    > "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few
    > | of them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
    > | steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the
    > | handlebar to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung
    > |

    > What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as
    > "inches".
    >
    > Marty

    That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.

    --Chuan

  5. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | In article <[email protected]>,
    | "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:
    |
    | > "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > | Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few
    | > | of them at the LBS and all of them are different,
    approx
    | > | 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If
    | > | wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung
    | > |
    | > |

    | > What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as
    | > "inches".
    | >
    | > Marty
    |
    | That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
    |
    | --Chuan

    It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.

    Marty

  6. Tony F

    Tony F Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:07:39 +0800, "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:

    <nip>
    >approx
    >| > |
    >| > |

    >| > What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as
    >| > "inches".
    >| >
    >| > Marty
    >|
    >| That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
    >|
    >| --Chuan
    >
    >It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
    >
    >Marty

    Nitpicking alright... ;^P

    Tony F

  7. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    spam:

    > "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | In article <[email protected]>,

    > approx
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing
    > | > as "inches".
    > | >
    > | > Marty
    > |
    > | That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
    > |
    > | --Chuan
    >
    > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
    >
    > Marty

    What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are between
    common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and move on with
    your life?

  8. A Yeung

    A Yeung Guest

    Thanks Guys Sorry Marty, I thought you are Blind.....

    "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > spam:
    >

    > > "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > approx
    > > | > |
    > > | > |

    > > | That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
    > > |
    > > | --Chuan
    > >
    > > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
    > >
    > > Marty
    >
    > What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are between
    > common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and move on
    > with your life?

  9. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | spam:
    |

    | > "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | In article <[email protected]>,
    | > | "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:
    | > |
    | > approx
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > | That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
    | > |
    | > | --Chuan
    | >
    | > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
    | >
    | > Marty
    |
    | What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are between
    | common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and move on
    | with your life?

    Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
    original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
    units for dimensions, pressures and so on. The use of other units indicates ignorance as well as
    laziness. If you don't like our units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

    Marty

  10. Didn't the Mars explorer crash due to the seppo's inability to convert imperial to metric?

  11. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    spam:

    > "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > | What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are
    > | between common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and
    > | move on with your life?
    > |

    > Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
    > original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
    > units for dimensions, pressures and so on.

    Australia also uses imperial units, as can readily be observed in the aviation industry (as one
    example). If you were knowledgeable at all as an instrument repairer, you would know this. In
    fact, why don't you ask anyone you know what his/her height is, and find out how many respond in
    metric units.

    > The use of other units indicates ignorance as well as laziness.

    The lack of recognition of imperial units still commonly used in Australia smacks of conspiratorial
    ignorance and deliberate stupidity.

    > If you don't like our units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

    This must be one of the funniest posts I've seen here for some time.

    What makes you think you speak for the newsgroup, or that your opinion represents anyone else's at
    all in this forum? But then reading your newsgroup handle, it's quite an appropriate description of
    your views.

    Stick to repairing little gadgets, if you're any good at it.

  12. Ray

    Ray Guest

    In article <TIxqa.22$S%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | spam:
    > |

    > | > "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | > news:[email protected]...
    > | > |
    > handlebar,
    > | > approx
    > benefit ?
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
    > | >
    > | > Marty
    > |
    > | What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are
    > | between common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and
    > | move on with your life?
    > |

    > Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
    > original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
    > units for dimensions, pressures

    So do you ride a 26" bike or a 660.4mm bike ?

    I personally ride a 26" bike with my tyres (not tires) pumped to 60 psi.

    Since our market is so comparatively small we will always be at the mercy of international
    conventions with a lot of these things.

    Chain stretch is reffered to 12" simply because each section link IS .5" when new!

    The handle bars probably are 23" 24" or 25", and going into a bike shop asking for a 609.6mm
    handlebar will probably result in a blank stare, whereas 24" would get an instant response :)

    Go to ANY hardware shop and buy a metric screw - virtually impossible.

    Sheet timber is usually 2440 x 1220 mm which is damn close to 8' x 4'. Some legacies will
    not go away.

    Yes I know metric is easier to do the sums, and I use it in preference any day, but always
    converting back to metric does not always make sense and more to the point seems foolish when every
    body else knows what is meant by it.

    And in fact the truth really is that Australia does use metric AND imperial measurements, even
    despite ~30 years of metrication...

    I rest my case.

  13. Gene Nygaard

    Gene Nygaard Guest

    "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
    news:<TIxqa.22$S%[email protected]>...
    > "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are
    > | between common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and
    > | move on with your life?
    > |

    > Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
    > original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
    > units for dimensions, pressures and so on. The use of other units indicates ignorance as well as
    > laziness. If you don't like our units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

    Now you've got my curiosity up, reminding me of something than came up a while ago in some other
    newsgroup. Can you get a spoke tensionometer in Australia, in metric units as the metric system is
    defined in Australian law? In other words, in SI units--or units acceptable for use with SI in
    Australia? I'd bet not. What units are used there for spoke tension?

    Gene Nygaard http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/

  14. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    >What units are used there for spoke tension?

    km/h

  15. Chuan Chew

    Chuan Chew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Gene
    Nygaard) wrote:

    <snip>

    > Now you've got my curiosity up, reminding me of something than came up a while ago in some other
    > newsgroup. Can you get a spoke tensionometer in Australia, in metric units as the metric system is
    > defined in Australian law? In other words, in SI units--or units acceptable for use with SI in
    > Australia? I'd bet not. What units are used there for spoke tension?
    >
    > Gene Nygaard http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/

    Yes, tensiometers are available in metric -- DT and Hozan are two. They measure deflections in mm,
    resolving down to 0.01mm. Newtons are the units for spoke tension. Deflection vs tension graphs are
    provided with the Dt Tensio, for several models of DT spokes.

    --Chuan

  16. Fakhina Sohl

    Fakhina Sohl Guest

    "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
    news:<TIxqa.22$S%[email protected]>...
    > | > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.

    Centimetres? I don't think I've used them since primary school.

    If you want to be a SI zealot, then at least use sensible units.

    > Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup ... If you don't like our
    > units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

    So, what size frame does your MTB have? What size wheels? What width of tyre do you prefer? Which
    headset standard?

    But, in contrast, what seatpost diameter, stem length, dropout spacing, BB axle length, handlebar
    diameter...

    Face the fact: "standard" measurements on bicycles are a mess of metric and imperial units. You can
    go blue in the face asking for a
    31.75mm a-headset stem at your favourite LBS...or you can get over it.

    fs metric to the core...but realistic

  17. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Blind Freddy" wrote

    > This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as "inches".

    How do we measure gearing then?

    Theo

  18. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

  19. A Yeung wrote:

    > Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
    > them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
    > steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
    > to look for.. regards

    Ignoring all the rants re. imperial (American) and rest of the world measurements...

    Downhill bikes and trials bikes tend to have wider bars. Downhill bars are also "fashionable" so
    over the last few years the bars on a lot of MTBs have got wider.

    Wider bars are more of a hassle around town and in traffic, depending on your riding you might want
    something that more closely matches the width of your shoulders.

    > Anthony Yeung

    ADrian

    Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
    Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44