MTB handlebar length

A Yeung

Guest
Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung

A Yeung:

> Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
> them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
> steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
> to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung

Downhill bars tend to be longer, up to 28".

You might worry more about what type of handlebar best suits your riding, that is, whether to get a
riser or a flat bar, how much rise if a riser, and what sweep angle (how much the bars are bent
towards the rider) is comfortable for you.

If given length options, it's better to be able to cut a long bar shorter, rather than have a
short bar which you wish is longer. For cutting bars, buy a pipe cutter from any hardware store
(about $10).

"A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
| them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
| steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
| to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung

What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing
as "inches".

Marty

In article <[email protected]>,
"Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:

> "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few
> | of them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
> | steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the
> | handlebar to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung
> |

> What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as
> "inches".
>
> Marty

That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.

--Chuan

"Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>,
| "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:
|
| > "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| > | Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few
| > | of them at the LBS and all of them are different,
approx
| > | 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If
| > | wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar to look for.. regards Anthony Yeung
| > |
| > |

| > What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as
| > "inches".
| >
| > Marty
|
| That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
|
| --Chuan

It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.

Marty

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:07:39 +0800, "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:

<nip>
>approx
>| > |
>| > |

>| > What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as
>| > "inches".
>| >
>| > Marty
>|
>| That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
>|
>| --Chuan
>
>It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
>
>Marty

Nitpicking alright... ;^P

Tony F

spam:

> "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | In article <[email protected]>,

> approx
> | > |
> | > |

> | > What's that in centimetres? This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing
> | > as "inches".
> | >
> | > Marty
> |
> | That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
> |
> | --Chuan
>
> It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
>
> Marty

What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are between
common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and move on with
your life?

Thanks Guys Sorry Marty, I thought you are Blind.....

"Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> spam:
>

> > "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > approx
> > | > |
> > | > |

> > | That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
> > |
> > | --Chuan
> >
> > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
> >
> > Marty
>
> What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are between
> common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and move on
> with your life?

"Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| spam:
|

| > "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...
| > | In article <[email protected]>,
| > | "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote:
| > |
| > approx
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > | That is truly a pointless nitpick. If it bothers you so much, multiply by 2.54.
| > |
| > | --Chuan
| >
| > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
| >
| > Marty
|
| What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are between
| common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and move on
| with your life?

Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
units for dimensions, pressures and so on. The use of other units indicates ignorance as well as
laziness. If you don't like our units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

Marty

Didn't the Mars explorer crash due to the seppo's inability to convert imperial to metric?

spam:

> "Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> | What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are
> | between common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and
> | move on with your life?
> |

> Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
> original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
> units for dimensions, pressures and so on.

Australia also uses imperial units, as can readily be observed in the aviation industry (as one
example). If you were knowledgeable at all as an instrument repairer, you would know this. In
fact, why don't you ask anyone you know what his/her height is, and find out how many respond in
metric units.

> The use of other units indicates ignorance as well as laziness.

The lack of recognition of imperial units still commonly used in Australia smacks of conspiratorial
ignorance and deliberate stupidity.

> If you don't like our units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

This must be one of the funniest posts I've seen here for some time.

What makes you think you speak for the newsgroup, or that your opinion represents anyone else's at
all in this forum? But then reading your newsgroup handle, it's quite an appropriate description of
your views.

Stick to repairing little gadgets, if you're any good at it.

In article <TIxqa.22$S%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> "Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | spam:
> |

> | > "Chuan Chew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | > news:[email protected]...
> | > |
> handlebar,
> | > approx
> benefit ?
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > |
> | > |

> | > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.
> | >
> | > Marty
> |
> | What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are
> | between common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and
> | move on with your life?
> |

> Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
> original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
> units for dimensions, pressures

So do you ride a 26" bike or a 660.4mm bike ?

I personally ride a 26" bike with my tyres (not tires) pumped to 60 psi.

Since our market is so comparatively small we will always be at the mercy of international
conventions with a lot of these things.

Chain stretch is reffered to 12" simply because each section link IS .5" when new!

The handle bars probably are 23" 24" or 25", and going into a bike shop asking for a 609.6mm
handlebar will probably result in a blank stare, whereas 24" would get an instant response :)

Go to ANY hardware shop and buy a metric screw - virtually impossible.

Sheet timber is usually 2440 x 1220 mm which is damn close to 8' x 4'. Some legacies will
not go away.

Yes I know metric is easier to do the sums, and I use it in preference any day, but always
converting back to metric does not always make sense and more to the point seems foolish when every
body else knows what is meant by it.

And in fact the truth really is that Australia does use metric AND imperial measurements, even
despite ~30 years of metrication...

I rest my case.

"Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
news:<TIxqa.22$S%[email protected]>...
> "Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | What's "correct"? If you're too lazy and ignorant to learn what the conversion values are
> | between common metric and imperial measurements, why not just leave the original post alone and
> | move on with your life?
> |

> Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup so the laziness is in the
> original poster. I'm a scientific instrument repairer by trade so I'm well aware of the conversion
> units for dimensions, pressures and so on. The use of other units indicates ignorance as well as
> laziness. If you don't like our units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

Now you've got my curiosity up, reminding me of something than came up a while ago in some other
newsgroup. Can you get a spoke tensionometer in Australia, in metric units as the metric system is
defined in Australian law? In other words, in SI units--or units acceptable for use with SI in
Australia? I'd bet not. What units are used there for spoke tension?

Gene Nygaard http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Gene
Nygaard) wrote:

<snip>

> Now you've got my curiosity up, reminding me of something than came up a while ago in some other
> newsgroup. Can you get a spoke tensionometer in Australia, in metric units as the metric system is
> defined in Australian law? In other words, in SI units--or units acceptable for use with SI in
> Australia? I'd bet not. What units are used there for spoke tension?
>
> Gene Nygaard http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/

Yes, tensiometers are available in metric -- DT and Hozan are two. They measure deflections in mm,
resolving down to 0.01mm. Newtons are the units for spoke tension. Deflection vs tension graphs are
provided with the Dt Tensio, for several models of DT spokes.

--Chuan

"Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
news:<TIxqa.22$S%[email protected]>...
> | > It's not nitpicking. It's the use of the correct units.

Centimetres? I don't think I've used them since primary school.

If you want to be a SI zealot, then at least use sensible units.

> Well Australia does use metric units and this is an Australian newsgroup ... If you don't like our
> units then stick to newsgroups of your own country.

So, what size frame does your MTB have? What size wheels? What width of tyre do you prefer? Which
headset standard?

But, in contrast, what seatpost diameter, stem length, dropout spacing, BB axle length, handlebar
diameter...

Face the fact: "standard" measurements on bicycles are a mess of metric and imperial units. You can
go blue in the face asking for a
31.75mm a-headset stem at your favourite LBS...or you can get over it.

fs metric to the core...but realistic

"Blind Freddy" wrote

> This is an Australian newsgroup and we don't have any such thing as "inches".

How do we measure gearing then?

Theo

A Yeung wrote:

> Good Day just wanted to know are there any specified length on a MTB handlebar, measured a few of
> them at the LBS and all of them are different, approx 25", 24" and 23". Will this affect the
> steering of the bike or have any other benefit ? If wanted to upgrade what length of the handlebar
> to look for.. regards

Ignoring all the rants re. imperial (American) and rest of the world measurements...

Downhill bikes and trials bikes tend to have wider bars. Downhill bars are also "fashionable" so
over the last few years the bars on a lot of MTBs have got wider.

Wider bars are more of a hassle around town and in traffic, depending on your riding you might want
something that more closely matches the width of your shoulders.

> Anthony Yeung

ADrian

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44