MTB - looking to buy

valkis

Jan 28, 2006
Hi guys,

Now that I have finished uni and have some spare time, I am looking to get into cycling, and need a cheap(ish) mtb for casual bike rides and some off road use to get me started, with a move to a decent road bike in a year or two (right now i ride an old apollo vitesse roady).

Anyway, these two struck my fancy

http://www.learsport.com.au/view_product.php?product=BW3240V

and

http://www.mongoosebikes.com.au/bikes/detail.php?id=313

Both are priced at $300 (the learsport is being cleared out at 2 for 1, which is why it caught my eye). Searching the forums shows learsport has a lesser reputation than other brands - I wonder why, it seems they use off the shelf components.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

-Chris

PS. I live in knox (melbourne), so most of my riding is around the knox/FTG/bayswater area, and further out.

Do you really need to go full suspension. If the bulk of your riding is going to be on the Knox Bike Track you are probably better off foregoing rear susp. for a better quality front susp. Or maybe none at all and put the money into the frame and groupset. Some of the other guys here will bring up a few options here on other bikes you may like to look at as well.

Learsport does not have a big name in the industry and are fairly new on the market (a couple of years) and are undercutting just about every brand out there apart from the supermarket cheapies (even though they sell some in that range too) with exactly the same equipment levels. I don't know much about their MTB's but their road bikes are getting more popular and those that have them think they are great.

The Learsport range is great value. Top componentry, well above the Kmart level.

Unless you intend some serious rough stuff, dual suspension will not be needed.

valkis said:
Hi guys,

Now that I have finished uni and have some spare time, I am looking to get into cycling, and need a cheap(ish) mtb for casual bike rides and some off road use to get me started, with a move to a decent road bike in a year or two (right now i ride an old apollo vitesse roady).

Anyway, these two struck my fancy

http://www.learsport.com.au/view_product.php?product=BW3240V

and

http://www.mongoosebikes.com.au/bikes/detail.php?id=313

Both are priced at $300 (the learsport is being cleared out at 2 for 1, which is why it caught my eye). Searching the forums shows learsport has a lesser reputation than other brands - I wonder why, it seems they use off the shelf components.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

-Chris

PS. I live in knox (melbourne), so most of my riding is around the knox/FTG/bayswater area, and further out.

Learsport design and build their own frames. They give a 15 year warranty on them - essentially for life. What i like about them they put the same componentry group all round, not like most manufacturers who put on an eye-catching rear derailer such as Deore LX and then go entry-level on all the rest.

+1 for not going for rear suspension. Rather spend it on a hardtail - you get better quality for same bang.

See if you could spend a bit more and get a better level Learsport - this will last you longer. I made the mistake of going entry-level with my first bike and am now having to sell it because I need the extra quality for the level of riding I do now. I very quickly outgrew it.

The Learsport for $300 has the steel frame and only 7 sp cluster with lowest level components. The mongoose does have a AL6061 frame but also suffers from 7 sp cluster. Also agree that a hardtail is a better choice if a low cost option is all the budget allows, less weight and less to go wrong.
A better option IMHO below if the size suits, the disk front brake is a big gain and the 8 sp cluster and group is several steps up on the food chain in shimano land. Dont be concerned about the 2005 year build, at that price is a right.
Diamond Back Apex 2005 [size=-1] Was[size=-1] A$ 499.00[/size] is A$ 329.00
[/size]
FRAME: 7005 aluminum.
FORKS: Mozo Suspension
BRAKES: Alloy V-Brake Rear, Mechanical Disc Front
DRIVETRAIN: 24 Speed Shimano Alivio Gears.
WHEEL SET: Disc Alloy hubs with Weinmann Zac19 rims.
EXTRAS: Alloy Parts.
SIZE: 14" & 17"
<li>http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/
in the mountain specials section of the site, also have a site at www.bikes.com.au on your side of town - Prahran.

I can only wish for bargains like that in Perth. I see the SR81 Felt (FB Road) is still on the specials page.

Thanks for the replies, it has got me hunting around more local bike shops for similar bikes. I did check out some giant/mongoose ones today (can't recall the models, however). I will check out some more tomorrow.

cycleski - Thanks for pointing a specific bike out, however 17" would be too small for me (I'm 6'3).

A few of my friends do offroad riding up near lysterfield, so the bike would see some offroad use. The only downside I can see is the weight, but the learsport isn't overly heavy compared to any other bike in the same range.

-Chris

valkis said:
cycleski - Thanks for pointing a specific bike out, however 17" would be too small for me (I'm 6'3).

A few of my friends do offroad riding up near lysterfield, so the bike would see some offroad use. The only downside I can see is the weight, but the learsport isn't overly heavy compared to any other bike in the same range.

-Chris
I ride at Lysterfield park (Games track) and weight is an issue as well as a smooth spread of ratios to get up the hills with min effort. More steps in the casette the better for you and in low end bikes steel frames are heavier than alloy. On a wet day the rim vee brakes just dont do enough heading down some of the perimeter tracks at speed. Would be worth ringing the shops in the links to confirm what sizes are available, who knows what may be offered to get a sale.