MTB Oil

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Peter B wrote:
>
> > Absurdly expensive compared to what?

> Compared to chain, as I've said, but your costs are much less than what I
> was referring to.
>
> > Compared to a gallon (approx 4.55 litres Mr Tray Ding-Standards) of
> > engine oil undoubtedly so.
> > But if a small bottle costs 4 quid

> 5 quid for FL CC now.

May I refer the Honourable Gentleman to:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1041
(And it's free postage).

Re. Your other post:
No, I'm not exaggerating either, lax with the facts maybe;-)
Seriously I don't know how long it lasts, certainly more than a year,
probably two, who's counting? Don't forget the mtb may get used every
weekend for a while and then not for a few weeks and then maybe a few days
in succession and so on and when conditions are dry CC isn't applied (dare I
admit to using FL DRY ? :)
But when not riding the mtb at weekends I'm on the winter road bike and that
has FL CC on the chain also, and an application lasts for more than one
ride.

As I said in my first post re. this thread, I used to use engine oil, not
because I couldn't afford the 4 quid but because I thought FL was a rip-off
and I was being clever using engine oil, but IME engine oil really is shitty
in use. One mechanical on a ride requiring personal contact with the chain
makes the FL CC worth every penny to me. YMMV.
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

Peter B wrote:
> but IME engine oil really is shitty
> in use. One mechanical on a ride requiring personal contact with the chain
> makes the FL CC worth every penny to me. YMMV.

I find a pair of latex gloves in the tool kit are much better value..
And they can be used for many purposes.

...d

in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I had no idea you could make one bottle of Cross Country last that
> long. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to apply it that sparingly
> though: putting one single drop on each link?
>
> Obviously that's not absurdly expensive by any standards. I'm thinking
> of when I tried Finish Line Krytech at £5 a can and two cans lasted
> only a
> few weeks. Also thinking of products like White Lightning which costs
> several pounds for a tiny bottle and apparently needs to be applied
> very frequently even for dry conditions.

I've had a small bottle of White Lightning for a year and used about half
of it (two bikes, applications every fortnight or so); I've got a spray
can of Finish Line Cross Country that's been in use about 18 months and
certainly isn't empty (three bikes, applications weekly in winter, less
often in summer). With both these products, yes, they're expensive per
CC, but you don't use much so they aren't expensive per application.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.

Peter B wrote:

>> 5 quid for FL CC now.

> May I refer the Honourable Gentleman to:
> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1041
> (And it's free postage).

Thank you.

> As I said in my first post re. this thread, I used to use engine oil,
> not because I couldn't afford the 4 quid but because I thought FL was
> a rip-off and I was being clever using engine oil, but IME engine oil
> really is shitty in use. One mechanical on a ride requiring personal
> contact with the chain makes the FL CC worth every penny to me. YMMV.

I use Halfrauds Chain Wax for the same sort of reason (makes bikes nicer
to work on in the house!). I thought it was much cheaper to use but it
looks like I could be wrong about that. I'll exclude FL CC from my
comments on "expensive lube" then, where I only mean to criticise stuff
that costs more than £20 per year (for typical mileage).

~PB

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Peter B wrote:
> > but IME engine oil really is shitty
> > in use. One mechanical on a ride requiring personal contact with the

chain
> > makes the FL CC worth every penny to me. YMMV.

> I find a pair of latex gloves in the tool kit are much better value..
> And they can be used for many purposes.

A good idea, thanks. I've got aload in the garage, never though of sticking
a pair or two in the tool kit, doh!
--

Simon Brooke wrote:

> I've had a small bottle of White Lightning for a year and used about
> half of it (two bikes, applications every fortnight or so); I've got
> a spray can of Finish Line Cross Country that's been in use about 18
> months and certainly isn't empty (three bikes, applications weekly in
> winter, less often in summer). With both these products, yes, they're
> expensive per CC, but you don't use much so they aren't expensive per
> application.

I did need to use a lot of Krytech per application, otherwise the chain
squeaked.

~PB

Peter B wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>> I find a pair of latex gloves in the tool kit are much better value..
>> And they can be used for many purposes.

> A good idea, thanks. I've got aload in the garage, never though of
> sticking a pair or two in the tool kit, doh!

They're also handy for fixing a puncture after riding over a load of dog
diarrhea. There's a nice thought to leave you with at tea time :-D

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Peter B wrote:
>> David Martin wrote:
>>> I find a pair of latex gloves in the tool kit are much better
>>> value.. And they can be used for many purposes.

>> A good idea, thanks. I've got aload in the garage, never though of
>> sticking a pair or two in the tool kit, doh!

> They're also handy for fixing a puncture after riding over a load of
> dog diarrhea. There's a nice thought to leave you with at tea time
> :-D

Now if that's not a good reason to throw away an entire rear wheel, tyre,
cassette and inner tube, I don't think I know of one. :)

--
Ambrose

Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:

>> Furthermore, of course, it isn't only the chain that the
>> chain-lube protects, and chainsets and cassettes are not things I'm
>> prepared to replace on a weekly basis.

> The chainrings and sprockets would get little wear if the chain was
> replaced very frequently. Lube doesn't /directly/ protect sprockets (to
> any significant degree).

Another way of preserving them is to run two or three chains
concurrently, letting them wear together by changing them at chain
clean and grease time. Lets you change fast and clean grease at
leisure.

Is there an engineer who can tell us the optimum number of chains to
use so that they all wear out along with the gears at the same rate,
at the cheapest replacement cost? Some folk have suggested to me that
three is the number.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

In article <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm wrote:
>Is there an engineer who can tell us the optimum number of chains to
>use so that they all wear out along with the gears at the same rate,
>at the cheapest replacement cost? Some folk have suggested to me that
>three is the number.

There's at least a chance it depends on what chains and gears you use.
The ratio of the cost of a 10-speed cluster to a 10-speed chain might
not be the same as that of a 7-speed cluster to a 7-speed chain.

And if different usage and lubrication patterns result in different
ratios of chain to gear wear, there will be even more variation.

Three seems to be the standard recommendation though (or one longer
chain for darksiders).

In my opinion anything that's got oil in it is rubbish, and that
includes Finishline "Dry".

I swear by wax lubricants such as Finishline "Krytech". Needs to be
applied frequently
but you'll have none of that sticky black paste you get with oil based
products.

"Kinetic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In my opinion anything that's got oil in it is rubbish, and that
> includes Finishline "Dry".
>
> I swear by wax lubricants such as Finishline "Krytech". Needs to be
> applied frequently
> but you'll have none of that sticky black paste you get with oil based
> products.

Would you reccommend it for off-road cycling in the Dark Peak over winter?
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

Peter B <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

>"Kinetic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In my opinion anything that's got oil in it is rubbish, and that
>> includes Finishline "Dry".
>>
>> I swear by wax lubricants such as Finishline "Krytech". Needs to be
>> applied frequently
>> but you'll have none of that sticky black paste you get with oil based
>> products.
>>

>Would you reccommend it for off-road cycling in the Dark Peak over winter?

From what I remember of the Dark Peak, yes.

--
Sue ]:(:)

Bicycle helmets are really a bit of a scam.
They make most cyclists slightly less safe but there's money in selling them.

In article <[email protected]>, Peter B
([email protected]) wrote:

> "Kinetic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In my opinion anything that's got oil in it is rubbish, and that
> > includes Finishline "Dry".
> >
> > I swear by wax lubricants such as Finishline "Krytech". Needs to be
> > applied frequently
> > but you'll have none of that sticky black paste you get with oil based
> > products.
> >

> Would you reccommend it for off-road cycling in the Dark Peak over winter?

The first and only time I used it resulted in an infestation of
Derailleur Mice on a scale seldom seen in the developed world. I diskard
it...

All your call centre are belong to us.

Dave Larrington wrote On 12/09/05 10:34,:
[About Finish Line Krytech dry wax lubricant]

> The first and only time I used it resulted in an infestation of
> Derailleur Mice on a scale seldom seen in the developed world. I diskard
> it...

You too. I bought the Halfords equivalent and took it away on our
Northumberland/Scottish Borders tour in June. By the afternoon of the
second day it was making a most dreadful noise.

I was riding along into a headwind on the flatlands between Alnwick and
Bamburgh with the transmission squeaking away and me singing the Mouse
Song from Bagpuss along with it.

Sue rode ahead of me to avoid the noise.

"We will find it, we will bind it
We will stick it with glue, glue, glue
We will stickle it, every little bit of it
We will fix it like new, new new."

There, that'll be going round in your head all day now, won't it!

Mike

Dave Larrington wrote:

> The first and only time I used it resulted in an infestation of
> Derailleur Mice on a scale seldom seen in the developed world. I diskard
> it...

Those mice running inside their roller cages are helping push you along.
If you notice the harder you pedal the more squeaking they do as they
try harder to assist. The Shimano Japanese mice are best; they work
steadily and consistently whereas the Campag Italian mice are forever
going on strike or taking a siesta or somesuch ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham