MTB Pedals - trying to choose

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by mwy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mwy

mwy New Member

Does anyone have an opinion on these MTB pedals? I'm wondering about the Forte, specifically. It's lighter and cheaper, but I'm wondering about going away from Shimano. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot--the two lower priced ones are more in my price range. But, it the highest priced Shimano is best, I'd like to know that, too. Thanks!

Tags:

2. longfemur

longfemur New Member

Well, I use mtb pedals on my road bike. I just relegated a pair of Shimano m-535's to the old, veteran touring bike I use on rain days, because they have started creaking. But hey, I had them on my "good" road bike since 1998.

I've tried quite a few other SPD compatible pedals in my day, but always went back to my Shimano's (even though I'm a Campagnolo guy for everything else). I could always count on the Shimano pedals to mate perfectly with the soles of my Shimano shoes. With other pedals, it was hit and miss. The clipping would either be too loose or too tight due to some kind of interference or insufficient interference between the pedals and the rubber.

Time would be my next choice.

3. mwy

mwy New Member

Thank you!

4. wooliferkins

wooliferkins New Member

I use Speedplay Frogs on all my bikes. Easy to get in and out of and only clogged once and I did have a shoe full of very stodgy Flanders clay.

5. Wlfdg

Wlfdg New Member

I have been an SPD fan for years but recently switched over to Crank Bros. for the ability clear of mud more efficiently. I still have SPD's on my cyclocross/road/commuter (Kona Jake) as it rarely ever sees real mud.