MTB rear derailleur shifting problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by J.M. Rudder, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. J.M. Rudder

    J.M. Rudder Guest

    Hi,

    I have a mountain bike which shifts gear smoothly, but the rear derailleur
    drops the chain back down to the small cog from all other cogs unless I keep
    the shifter in place with my thumb, an obvious inconvenience. I can remove
    it from its handlebar mount, but the mechanism itself appears to be
    contained, un-dismantlable.

    Josh
    Ithaca, NY

    Tags:

  2. J.M. Rudder wrote:

    > I have a mountain bike which shifts gear smoothly, but the rear derailleur
    > drops the chain back down to the small cog from all other cogs unless I keep
    > the shifter in place with my thumb, an obvious inconvenience. I can remove
    > it from its handlebar mount, but the mechanism itself appears to be
    > contained, un-dismantlable.

    If it's an old-style friction type shifter (doesn't click into gear) the
    should be a friction regulating screw rignt in the middle of the pivot
    where the lever turns. Tighten this screw until the friction is
    sufficient to keep it in position. If you make it too tight, it will be
    hard to move the shift lever. The screw might require a screwdriver, or
    it might have a little "D" handle on it so you can turn it without tools.

    If it's a modern indexed shifter, it's probalby not fixable, and you'll
    need to buy a new shift lever.

    Sheldon "Insufficient Data" Brown
    | Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions |
    | from insufficient premises. --Samuel Butler |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide