MTB rear derailleur shifting problem

J.M. Rudder

Guest
Hi,

I have a mountain bike which shifts gear smoothly, but the rear derailleur
drops the chain back down to the small cog from all other cogs unless I keep
the shifter in place with my thumb, an obvious inconvenience. I can remove
it from its handlebar mount, but the mechanism itself appears to be
contained, un-dismantlable.

Josh
Ithaca, NY

The stops within the grip shift are worn out. I did three of them
(Right, Left, Right) on a HUFFY KMART Powerline 21. The first
replacements pair cost 10 for one or 15 for pair and 5 shipping. For
the second replacement went to LBS and cheapest was 25 for one. Both
from same manufacturer, SRAM.

"J.M. Rudder" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a mountain bike which shifts gear smoothly, but the rear derailleur
> drops the chain back down to the small cog from all other cogs unless I keep
> the shifter in place with my thumb, an obvious inconvenience. I can remove
> it from its handlebar mount, but the mechanism itself appears to be
> contained, un-dismantlable.
>
> Josh
> Ithaca, NY

Thanks, Mike.