MTB recommendations - help!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jules, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice. Currently looking at either
    the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 - both around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find
    much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them? The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice
    but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them. Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the
    Alex rims they put on these?

    Cheers! Ric

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice.
    Currently
    > looking at either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 -
    both
    > around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them?
    > The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them.
    > Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on
    these?

    > Cheers! Ric

    MPH disc brakes are pretty bad. And for 650, you're much MUCH better getting a mountain bike without
    discs. Period. All the components will be better, which is far more important at that level. Until
    you get to about 1000, I'd say no discs. 1100 for full suspension, 1250 or so for full suspension
    with disks. If you don't trust me, yes, I do work at a shop ;)

    Also, test ride!!! find out which one is more comfortable, then get that one.

    Jon Bond

  3. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Jon Bond said...

    > MPH disc brakes are pretty bad. And for 650, you're much MUCH better getting a mountain bike
    > without discs. Period. All the components will be better, which is far more important at that
    > level. Until you get to about 1000, I'd say no discs. 1100 for full suspension, 1250 or so for
    > full suspension with disks. If you don't trust me, yes, I do work at a shop ;)
    >
    > Also, test ride!!! find out which one is more comfortable, then get that one.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    He is in the UK though, so he is probably talking about £'s not $'s.

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jon Bond said...
    >
    > > MPH disc brakes are pretty bad. And for 650, you're much MUCH better getting a mountain bike
    > > without discs. Period. All the components will
    be
    > > better, which is far more important at that level. Until you get to
    about
    > > 1000, I'd say no discs. 1100 for full suspension, 1250 or so for full suspension with disks. If
    > > you don't trust me, yes, I do work at a shop
    ;)

    > > Also, test ride!!! find out which one is more comfortable, then get that one.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > He is in the UK though, so he is probably talking about £'s not $'s.

    True. Ok, then transfer all those over to pounds ;)

    Giant MPH brakes... or should I say breaks? Still suck tho. I also think they're only on european
    giants, so that shoulda tipped me off. oops.

    Jon Bond

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice.
    Currently
    > looking at either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 -
    both
    > around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them?
    > The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them.
    > Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on
    these?

    > Cheers! Ric

    Blatant plug, but never been one to miss an opportunity...... Have you thought about going second
    hand ?... Like how about a GT STS XCR1000, carbon fibre full susser, Shimano Deore XT componentry
    throughout, carbon fibre 4 spoke Spinergy wheels. GT-i drive to counteract bounce effect of full
    suss. It's a beast does the business on the trails and turns heads too!!.... ...and all for a mere
    £800. Originally cost over 4 grand !! I'm at j10m6 UK. If you're interested (or anyone else for that
    matter ;-), e-mail me on:- [email protected] Cheers, Dave.
    ps - Sorry for abuse of ng !!

  6. jules wrote:

    > Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice. Currently looking at
    > either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 - both around 650 or so. I'm struggling
    > to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them? The Rockhopper seems to be the
    > "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them. Any experience of Giant MPH
    > hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on these?
    >
    > Cheers! Ric

    Also try the Orange Evo 2 Deore:

    http://www.stifsport.com/gear/select_options.asp?productid=670

    My mate has one & swears by it. I've had few goes on it & it's nice. Your best bet is to get a test
    ride on your shortlist & make a decision based on which 'felt' the best for you.

    Phil

  7. "jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice.
    Currently
    > looking at either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 -
    both
    > around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them?
    > The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them.
    > Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on
    these?

    > Cheers! Ric

    I always recomend the Giant Iguana. That and a henway are all you need.

  8. J

    J Guest

    jules wrote:
    > Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice. Currently looking at
    > either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 - both around 650 or so. I'm struggling
    > to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them? The Rockhopper seems to be the
    > "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them. Any experience of Giant MPH
    > hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on these?
    >
    > Cheers! Ric

    I've got a Rockhopper Comp Disc, and now I've got used to the SPDs and have stopped falling off, I
    have no complaints about it.

    John