MTB recommendations - help!

Jules

Guest
Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice. Currently looking at either
the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 - both around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find
much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them? The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice
but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them. Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the
Alex rims they put on these?

Cheers! Ric

"jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice.
Currently
> looking at either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 -
both
> around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them?
> The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them.
> Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on
these?

> Cheers! Ric

MPH disc brakes are pretty bad. And for 650, you're much MUCH better getting a mountain bike without
discs. Period. All the components will be better, which is far more important at that level. Until
you get to about 1000, I'd say no discs. 1100 for full suspension, 1250 or so for full suspension
with disks. If you don't trust me, yes, I do work at a shop ;)

Also, test ride!!! find out which one is more comfortable, then get that one.

Jon Bond

Jon Bond said...

> MPH disc brakes are pretty bad. And for 650, you're much MUCH better getting a mountain bike
> without discs. Period. All the components will be better, which is far more important at that
> level. Until you get to about 1000, I'd say no discs. 1100 for full suspension, 1250 or so for
> full suspension with disks. If you don't trust me, yes, I do work at a shop ;)
>
> Also, test ride!!! find out which one is more comfortable, then get that one.
>
> Jon Bond

He is in the UK though, so he is probably talking about £'s not $'s.

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon Bond said...
>
> > MPH disc brakes are pretty bad. And for 650, you're much MUCH better getting a mountain bike
> > without discs. Period. All the components will
be
> > better, which is far more important at that level. Until you get to
about
> > 1000, I'd say no discs. 1100 for full suspension, 1250 or so for full suspension with disks. If
> > you don't trust me, yes, I do work at a shop
;)

> > Also, test ride!!! find out which one is more comfortable, then get that one.
> >
> > Jon Bond
>
> He is in the UK though, so he is probably talking about £'s not $'s.

True. Ok, then transfer all those over to pounds ;)

Giant MPH brakes... or should I say breaks? Still suck tho. I also think they're only on european
giants, so that shoulda tipped me off. oops.

Jon Bond

"jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice.
Currently
> looking at either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 -
both
> around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them?
> The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them.
> Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on
these?

> Cheers! Ric

Blatant plug, but never been one to miss an opportunity...... Have you thought about going second
hand ?... Like how about a GT STS XCR1000, carbon fibre full susser, Shimano Deore XT componentry
throughout, carbon fibre 4 spoke Spinergy wheels. GT-i drive to counteract bounce effect of full
suss. It's a beast does the business on the trails and turns heads too!!.... ...and all for a mere
£800. Originally cost over 4 grand !! I'm at j10m6 UK. If you're interested (or anyone else for that
matter ;-), e-mail me on:- [email protected] Cheers, Dave.
ps - Sorry for abuse of ng !!

jules wrote:

> Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice. Currently looking at
> either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 - both around 650 or so. I'm struggling
> to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them? The Rockhopper seems to be the
> "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them. Any experience of Giant MPH
> hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on these?
>
> Cheers! Ric

Also try the Orange Evo 2 Deore:

http://www.stifsport.com/gear/select_options.asp?productid=670

My mate has one & swears by it. I've had few goes on it & it's nice. Your best bet is to get a test
ride on your shortlist & make a decision based on which 'felt' the best for you.

Phil

"jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice.
Currently
> looking at either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 -
both
> around 650 or so. I'm struggling to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them?
> The Rockhopper seems to be the "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them.
> Any experience of Giant MPH hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on
these?

> Cheers! Ric

I always recomend the Giant Iguana. That and a henway are all you need.

jules wrote:
> Hi All, In the market for a midprice MTB, and could do with some advice. Currently looking at
> either the Specialized Rockhopper Disk or a Giant XTC SE4 - both around 650 or so. I'm struggling
> to find much info on the Giant - anyone any experience of them? The Rockhopper seems to be the
> "safe" choice but the Giant's cheaper and I like the look of them. Any experience of Giant MPH
> hydro disks or the Alex rims they put on these?
>
> Cheers! Ric

I've got a Rockhopper Comp Disc, and now I've got used to the SPDs and have stopped falling off, I
have no complaints about it.

John