MTB recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Noyb, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Noyb

    Noyb Guest

    I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any recommendations?
    Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    > price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
    > recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here's one good site http://www.titusti.com/techtalk_frmset.html for some tech info. I don't own any
    of their bikes, but they do make nice ones and have some great info.

    The first thing you'll need to know is whether you want full suspension (FS) or a hardtail (HT).
    Then you can start narrowing down some good choices.
    --
    Slacker

  3. NOYB wrote:
    > I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    > price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
    > recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

    www.habcycles.com

  4. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    >price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any recommendations?
    >Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

    I'm about the same - maybe an incha taller and a few pounds heaver.

    My experience, backed up the spiel from a guy who reps a major brand, is that for anybody over 6'3",
    a true fit from an off-the-shelf frame is just not in the cards.

    That's not to say that no frame will work - but there will be compromises. I'm currently riding an
    Ellsworth Isis 21" and to get my butt on the saddle at KOPS I need a Titec HellBent seatpost (super
    layed back). Also to get the bars up where I want them (within an inch of saddle height) I have to
    do cruel and unnatural things...

    The bike works -more or less - it's just that the front end is really, really light. I've got
    a custom hardtail coming in the next few weeks with dimensions that supposedly fit me - time
    will tell.....

    I would have gotten the custom from Habenero except that I stumbled into this guy locally that sold
    me my first bike a lot of years ago and it just seemed like the right thing to do....

    Finally, extra crank length helps too - 180's feel better than 170's.
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  5. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    > price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
    > recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Get a red one. They're fast!

    Marty "has a red Marin"

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    > price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
    > recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

    rec.bicycles.off-road

    JD

  7. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    > "NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    > > price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
    > > recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > Here's one good site http://www.titusti.com/techtalk_frmset.html for some tech info. I don't own
    > any of their bikes, but they do make nice ones and have some great info.
    >
    > The first thing you'll need to know is whether you want full suspension
    (FS)
    > or a hardtail (HT). Then you can start narrowing down some good choices.

    budget, (or not) trail type, riding style) Color....

    here's an FAQ that might help: http://bdbauer.tripod.com/newbike/

  8. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    > Here's one good site http://www.titusti.com/techtalk_frmset.html for some tech info. I don't own
    > any of their bikes,

    We do http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/mtb020004.JPG
    http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/mtb020010.JPG

    Excellent bikes. The Racer-X has been perfect, where as we have had some problems with the Fox shock
    on the Switchblade. A bushing in the eyelet tends to wear very fast, far too fast, I´m on my second
    replacement now.

    Per

    http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  9. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 12:13:08 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:
    > RE/
    >>I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    >>price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
    >>recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
    >
    > I'm about the same - maybe an incha taller and a few pounds heaver.
    >
    > My experience, backed up the spiel from a guy who reps a major brand, is that for anybody over
    > 6'3", a true fit from an off-the-shelf frame is just not in the cards.

    Pete, I'm not sure I agree with that.

    I'm a bit over 6'4" with a 36" inseam and about 212lbs right now, but I find that my 2000 XL K2 EVO
    3.0 is a very good fit. I have good leg extension and I even went to risers to bring me into more of
    an upright position and lighten the front end a bit.

    Having said that, I guess the "fit" can be somewhat subjective. I've never had any professional help
    in ensuring the bike is ergonomically correct, but I do ride it a fair bit and it feels very good.

    As far as a recommendation goes, it will be tough to give one unless the OP fleshes out a few more
    details. How much $$ is too much? What kind of riding? Climbing? Downhill? all-around-XC?

    Gman

  10. Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 12:13:08 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > RE/
    > >>I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
    > >>price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
    > >>recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
    > >
    > > I'm about the same - maybe an incha taller and a few pounds heaver.
    > >
    > > My experience, backed up the spiel from a guy who reps a major brand, is
    that
    > > for anybody over 6'3", a true fit from an off-the-shelf frame is just
    not in the
    > > cards.
    >
    > Pete, I'm not sure I agree with that.
    >
    > I'm a bit over 6'4" with a 36" inseam and about 212lbs right now, but I find that my 2000 XL K2
    > EVO 3.0 is a very good fit. I have good leg extension and I even went to risers to bring me into
    > more of an upright position and lighten the front end a bit.
    >
    > Having said that, I guess the "fit" can be somewhat subjective. I've never had any professional
    > help in ensuring the bike is ergonomically correct, but I do ride it a fair bit and it feels
    > very good.

    Agree about fit - I'm 6ft 1" and have a Marin Full sus frame in the garage that is too big for me
    and ride a large Orange which does fit - they do a size larger too, cant believe that these larger
    sizes only span the sizes 6'2" to 6'3" :)

    Russ

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Good tail is a hard tail.