MTB recommendations?

Noyb

Guest
I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any recommendations?
Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

Thanks.

"NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
> price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
> recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
>
> Thanks.

Here's one good site http://www.titusti.com/techtalk_frmset.html for some tech info. I don't own any
of their bikes, but they do make nice ones and have some great info.

The first thing you'll need to know is whether you want full suspension (FS) or a hardtail (HT).
Then you can start narrowing down some good choices.
--
Slacker

NOYB wrote:
> I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
> price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
> recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

www.habcycles.com

RE/
>I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
>price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any recommendations?
>Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

I'm about the same - maybe an incha taller and a few pounds heaver.

My experience, backed up the spiel from a guy who reps a major brand, is that for anybody over 6'3",
a true fit from an off-the-shelf frame is just not in the cards.

That's not to say that no frame will work - but there will be compromises. I'm currently riding an
Ellsworth Isis 21" and to get my butt on the saddle at KOPS I need a Titec HellBent seatpost (super
layed back). Also to get the bars up where I want them (within an inch of saddle height) I have to
do cruel and unnatural things...

The bike works -more or less - it's just that the front end is really, really light. I've got
a custom hardtail coming in the next few weeks with dimensions that supposedly fit me - time
will tell.....

I would have gotten the custom from Habenero except that I stumbled into this guy locally that sold
me my first bike a lot of years ago and it just seemed like the right thing to do....

Finally, extra crank length helps too - 180's feel better than 170's.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

"NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
> price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
> recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
>
> Thanks.

Get a red one. They're fast!

Marty "has a red Marin"

"NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
> price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
> recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?

rec.bicycles.off-road

JD

> "NOYB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
> > price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
> > recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Here's one good site http://www.titusti.com/techtalk_frmset.html for some tech info. I don't own
> any of their bikes, but they do make nice ones and have some great info.
>
> The first thing you'll need to know is whether you want full suspension
(FS)
> or a hardtail (HT). Then you can start narrowing down some good choices.

budget, (or not) trail type, riding style) Color....

here's an FAQ that might help: http://bdbauer.tripod.com/newbike/

> Here's one good site http://www.titusti.com/techtalk_frmset.html for some tech info. I don't own
> any of their bikes,

We do http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/mtb020004.JPG
http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/mtb020010.JPG

Excellent bikes. The Racer-X has been perfect, where as we have had some problems with the Fox shock
on the Switchblade. A bushing in the eyelet tends to wear very fast, far too fast, I´m on my second
replacement now.

Per

http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 12:13:08 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:
> RE/
>>I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
>>price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
>>recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
>
> I'm about the same - maybe an incha taller and a few pounds heaver.
>
> My experience, backed up the spiel from a guy who reps a major brand, is that for anybody over
> 6'3", a true fit from an off-the-shelf frame is just not in the cards.

Pete, I'm not sure I agree with that.

I'm a bit over 6'4" with a 36" inseam and about 212lbs right now, but I find that my 2000 XL K2 EVO
3.0 is a very good fit. I have good leg extension and I even went to risers to bring me into more of
an upright position and lighten the front end a bit.

Having said that, I guess the "fit" can be somewhat subjective. I've never had any professional help
in ensuring the bike is ergonomically correct, but I do ride it a fair bit and it feels very good.

As far as a recommendation goes, it will be tough to give one unless the OP fleshes out a few more
details. How much $$ is too much? What kind of riding? Climbing? Downhill? all-around-XC?

Gman

Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 12:13:08 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:
> > RE/
> >>I am considering getting into MTB. I have been a roadie for some time. I am 6'4", 205. I want
> >>price/performace. Less expensive is better, but am willing to pay for quality. Any
> >>recommendations? Or any recommedations of websites to visit?
> >
> > I'm about the same - maybe an incha taller and a few pounds heaver.
> >
> > My experience, backed up the spiel from a guy who reps a major brand, is
that
> > for anybody over 6'3", a true fit from an off-the-shelf frame is just
not in the
> > cards.
>
> Pete, I'm not sure I agree with that.
>
> I'm a bit over 6'4" with a 36" inseam and about 212lbs right now, but I find that my 2000 XL K2
> EVO 3.0 is a very good fit. I have good leg extension and I even went to risers to bring me into
> more of an upright position and lighten the front end a bit.
>
> Having said that, I guess the "fit" can be somewhat subjective. I've never had any professional
> help in ensuring the bike is ergonomically correct, but I do ride it a fair bit and it feels
> very good.

Agree about fit - I'm 6ft 1" and have a Marin Full sus frame in the garage that is too big for me
and ride a large Orange which does fit - they do a size larger too, cant believe that these larger
sizes only span the sizes 6'2" to 6'3" :)

Russ