MTB rentals in Tampa?

John Harlow

Guest
Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the Tampa
FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the
> Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.

There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:

Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium (in the north side of town) University Bicycle Center (northeast side
of town) Dud Thames Bike Shop (south side, probably the most likely to have rentals)

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Check it out and see what they have. There are smaller
shops around, but those are kind of the big three.

Down the street from University Bicycle Center, there's a place that has a bunch of old bikes in an
open shack... It's a real shithole. Some of the bikes, however, are in excellent condition, such as
the Giant Kronos road bike I got for $75.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

John H says:

>Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the
>Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.

Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his fitness levels than he does
riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P

Steve

> There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:

Thanks! I looked on internet yellowpages; I guess all the shops aren't listed. I'll definitely give
these a go. I'm trying to better the $320 charge US Scairways wants to hit us with to bring our
bikes on the plane.

If nothing else, we want to at least WALK Alafia river state park...

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> > There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:
>
> Thanks! I looked on internet yellowpages; I guess all the shops aren't listed. I'll definitely
> give these a go. I'm trying to better the $320 charge US Scairways wants to hit us with to bring
> our bikes on the plane.

Inquire with a UPS store, and see what they would charge to ship'em to a Tampa LBS. Insure them, and
let them pack'em.

When you're all done, go to a UPS store, and ship'em home.

> If nothing else, we want to at least WALK Alafia river state park...

Nah, don't do that.

mojo deluxe <[email protected]> wrote:
> "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
>>
>>> There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:
>>
>> Thanks! I looked on internet yellowpages; I guess all the shops aren't listed. I'll definitely
>> give these a go. I'm trying to better the $320 charge US Scairways wants to hit us with to bring
>> our bikes on the plane.
>>
> Inquire with a UPS store, and see what they would charge to ship'em to a Tampa LBS. Insure them,
> and let them pack'em.
>
> When you're all done, go to a UPS store, and ship'em home.
>
>> If nothing else, we want to at least WALK Alafia river state park...
>>
> Nah, don't do that.

Major "good call" there With UPS. Shipped my bike from VA to Moab last fall. Actually went FEDEX
outbound (a few $$'s cheaper) and UPS on the way back. ~$45 each way. Used a shipping carton I got
free from the LBS (they just throw 'em away when they unpack the bike.)

Cheap, easy, and you have yer own ride! Only downside is the lack of bike during transit. Solution
there is to buy another bike....

Tom

> Major "good call" there With UPS. Shipped my bike from VA to Moab last fall. Actually went FEDEX
> outbound (a few $$'s cheaper) and UPS on the
way
> back. ~$45 each way. Used a shipping carton I got free from the LBS
(they
> just throw 'em away when they unpack the bike.)
>
> Cheap, easy, and you have yer own ride! Only downside is the lack of bike during transit. Solution
> there is to buy another bike....

It cost me $18 to ship a road bike from here to the midwest by FedEx. UPS automatically charges the
highest weight possible (75 lbs) because it's oversize, and shipping goes way up.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!

I called Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium and they informed me Trek is having a demo day Sunday at
Lakeland! So, hopefully we'll ride a couple new Treks! Carrollwood also rents as well.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!
>
> I called Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium and they informed me Trek is having
> demo day Sunday at Lakeland! So, hopefully we'll ride a couple new Treks! Carrollwood also rents
> as well.

Have fun, and don't break'em.

"mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:pQu%[email protected]...

> "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!
> >
> > I called Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium and they informed me Trek is
having
> > demo day Sunday at Lakeland! So, hopefully we'll ride a couple new
Treks!
> > Carrollwood also rents as well.
> >
> Have fun, and don't break'em.

Ha! Tampa MTB riding is way too elevation-challenged to break even an SS cruiser. Well... actually
there are lots of roots at Flatwoods Park, but I've never been to Lakeland, so I can't tell you much
about there.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> John H says:
>
> >Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one
day
> >this weekend in the Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.
>
> Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his
fitness
> levels than he does riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P
>
> Steve

;-) Actually, I'll be riding Alafia on Sunday...I do have an extra Trek hardtail I could let john
use if he wants ... Dan V

Dan Volker wrote:
> "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040224174751.16154.00000305@mb-
> m11.aol.com...
>> John H says:
>>
>>> Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the
>>> Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.
>>
>> Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his fitness levels than he does
>> riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P
>>
>> Steve
>
> ;-) Actually, I'll be riding Alafia on Sunday...I do have an extra Trek hardtail I could let john
> use if he wants ...

Thanks, Dan! We're going to try to scarf up a couple demo bikes at Carter Road Park on Sunday (Trek
is demoing there); I'd rather run the risk of scratching a demo than someone's personal bike.

I must say the generosity I've experienced from you Floridians is amazing- another guy offered to
loan us a couple of his personal bikes as well.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote:
> > "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040224174751.16154.00000305@mb-
> > m11.aol.com...
> >> John H says:

> >> Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his fitness levels than he
> >> does riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P
> >>
> >> Steve
> >
> > ;-) Actually, I'll be riding Alafia on Sunday...I do have an extra Trek hardtail I could let
> > john use if he wants ...
>
> Thanks, Dan! We're going to try to scarf up a couple demo bikes at Carter Road Park on
> Sunday (Trek is demoing there); I'd rather run the risk of scratching a demo than someone's
> personal bike.
>
> I must say the generosity I've experienced from you Floridians is amazing- another guy offered to
> loan us a couple of his personal bikes as well.

I did the Trek Demo before Christmas at Quiet Waters, and then again at Oleta...I tried the fuel 100
and the Liquid 55. To me, the Liquid was much more enjoyable to ride, and I was doing faster runs in
the heavily rooted sections with the Liquid. If I was just riding smooth long hill climbs, the 100
would be awesome--it had the weight of a road bike. But you have to be "working" the 100 all the
time, while in very technical terrain--with the Liquid, you can just ride hard, and enjoy more---I'd
be interested to hear what you think after trying these bikes. I ended up buying 2 liquid 25's-one
for me, and one for my girlfriend.

Regards, Dan