MTB rentals in Tampa?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Harlow, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the Tampa
    FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.

    Tags:

  2. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the
    > Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.

    There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:

    Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium (in the north side of town) University Bicycle Center (northeast side
    of town) Dud Thames Bike Shop (south side, probably the most likely to have rentals)

    Those are the ones off the top of my head. Check it out and see what they have. There are smaller
    shops around, but those are kind of the big three.

    Down the street from University Bicycle Center, there's a place that has a bunch of old bikes in an
    open shack... It's a real shithole. Some of the bikes, however, are in excellent condition, such as
    the Giant Kronos road bike I got for $75.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. John H says:

    >Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the
    >Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.

    Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his fitness levels than he does
    riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P

    Steve

  4. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:

    Thanks! I looked on internet yellowpages; I guess all the shops aren't listed. I'll definitely give
    these a go. I'm trying to better the $320 charge US Scairways wants to hit us with to bring our
    bikes on the plane.

    If nothing else, we want to at least WALK Alafia river state park...

  5. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > > There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:
    >
    > Thanks! I looked on internet yellowpages; I guess all the shops aren't listed. I'll definitely
    > give these a go. I'm trying to better the $320 charge US Scairways wants to hit us with to bring
    > our bikes on the plane.

    Inquire with a UPS store, and see what they would charge to ship'em to a Tampa LBS. Insure them, and
    let them pack'em.

    When you're all done, go to a UPS store, and ship'em home.

    > If nothing else, we want to at least WALK Alafia river state park...

    Nah, don't do that.

  6. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    mojo deluxe <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    >>
    >>> There are many LBSs. The ones you'll want to check out are:
    >>
    >> Thanks! I looked on internet yellowpages; I guess all the shops aren't listed. I'll definitely
    >> give these a go. I'm trying to better the $320 charge US Scairways wants to hit us with to bring
    >> our bikes on the plane.
    >>
    > Inquire with a UPS store, and see what they would charge to ship'em to a Tampa LBS. Insure them,
    > and let them pack'em.
    >
    > When you're all done, go to a UPS store, and ship'em home.
    >
    >> If nothing else, we want to at least WALK Alafia river state park...
    >>
    > Nah, don't do that.

    Major "good call" there With UPS. Shipped my bike from VA to Moab last fall. Actually went FEDEX
    outbound (a few $$'s cheaper) and UPS on the way back. ~$45 each way. Used a shipping carton I got
    free from the LBS (they just throw 'em away when they unpack the bike.)

    Cheap, easy, and you have yer own ride! Only downside is the lack of bike during transit. Solution
    there is to buy another bike....

    Tom

  7. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > Major "good call" there With UPS. Shipped my bike from VA to Moab last fall. Actually went FEDEX
    > outbound (a few $$'s cheaper) and UPS on the
    way
    > back. ~$45 each way. Used a shipping carton I got free from the LBS
    (they
    > just throw 'em away when they unpack the bike.)
    >
    > Cheap, easy, and you have yer own ride! Only downside is the lack of bike during transit. Solution
    > there is to buy another bike....

    It cost me $18 to ship a road bike from here to the midwest by FedEx. UPS automatically charges the
    highest weight possible (75 lbs) because it's oversize, and shipping goes way up.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!

    I called Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium and they informed me Trek is having a demo day Sunday at
    Lakeland! So, hopefully we'll ride a couple new Treks! Carrollwood also rents as well.

  9. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!
    >
    > I called Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium and they informed me Trek is having
    > demo day Sunday at Lakeland! So, hopefully we'll ride a couple new Treks! Carrollwood also rents
    > as well.

    Have fun, and don't break'em.

  10. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    "mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:pQu%[email protected]...

    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!
    > >
    > > I called Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium and they informed me Trek is
    having
    > > demo day Sunday at Lakeland! So, hopefully we'll ride a couple new
    Treks!
    > > Carrollwood also rents as well.
    > >
    > Have fun, and don't break'em.

    Ha! Tampa MTB riding is way too elevation-challenged to break even an SS cruiser. Well... actually
    there are lots of roots at Flatwoods Park, but I've never been to Lakeland, so I can't tell you much
    about there.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  11. Dan Volker

    Dan Volker Guest

    > John H says:
    >
    > >Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one
    day
    > >this weekend in the Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.
    >
    > Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his
    fitness
    > levels than he does riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P
    >
    > Steve

    ;-) Actually, I'll be riding Alafia on Sunday...I do have an extra Trek hardtail I could let john
    use if he wants ... Dan V

  12. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Dan Volker wrote:
    > "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m11.aol.com...
    >> John H says:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know where I can rent / beg / borrow etc. a couple of bikes one day this weekend in the
    >>> Tampa FL area? I tried the LBS there; no luck.
    >>
    >> Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his fitness levels than he does
    >> riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P
    >>
    >> Steve
    >
    > ;-) Actually, I'll be riding Alafia on Sunday...I do have an extra Trek hardtail I could let john
    > use if he wants ...

    Thanks, Dan! We're going to try to scarf up a couple demo bikes at Carter Road Park on Sunday (Trek
    is demoing there); I'd rather run the risk of scratching a demo than someone's personal bike.

    I must say the generosity I've experienced from you Floridians is amazing- another guy offered to
    loan us a couple of his personal bikes as well.

  13. Dan Volker

    Dan Volker Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dan Volker wrote:
    > > "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > m11.aol.com...
    > >> John H says:

    > >> Try Dan Volker - he seems to spend more time in the gym analysing his fitness levels than he
    > >> does riding - he won't miss a bike ;-P
    > >>
    > >> Steve
    > >
    > > ;-) Actually, I'll be riding Alafia on Sunday...I do have an extra Trek hardtail I could let
    > > john use if he wants ...
    >
    > Thanks, Dan! We're going to try to scarf up a couple demo bikes at Carter Road Park on
    > Sunday (Trek is demoing there); I'd rather run the risk of scratching a demo than someone's
    > personal bike.
    >
    > I must say the generosity I've experienced from you Floridians is amazing- another guy offered to
    > loan us a couple of his personal bikes as well.

    I did the Trek Demo before Christmas at Quiet Waters, and then again at Oleta...I tried the fuel 100
    and the Liquid 55. To me, the Liquid was much more enjoyable to ride, and I was doing faster runs in
    the heavily rooted sections with the Liquid. If I was just riding smooth long hill climbs, the 100
    would be awesome--it had the weight of a road bike. But you have to be "working" the 100 all the
    time, while in very technical terrain--with the Liquid, you can just ride hard, and enjoy more---I'd
    be interested to hear what you think after trying these bikes. I ended up buying 2 liquid 25's-one
    for me, and one for my girlfriend.

    Regards, Dan